Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2015 12:34:25 AM EDT
If your only side arm was a colt python 6 inch??

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell no.  Start making reloads, milk jugs at 100 meters.  Enjoy...  (god I miss my trooper...)
ETA: the blue dot recipe that I used is 'no longer recommended'; I fired literally 1000 of those rounds, never a problem in the Trooper... YMMV and all that.
Let them fireballs fly, brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#2]
<----------------------------
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:54:35 AM EDT
[#3]
NO...if that is what I have, that is what I use !
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:06:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote

If you get one of those, you can take on and win against the Jem'Hadar, even if you never get the flying car you were promised

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:29:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Only after I fired 6 shots
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:31:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Not at all. Thought you were going to ask about a tiny backup gun or something, ha. A 357 magnum will get the job done no question.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:01:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Not as long as I can carry a fixed blade knife as well
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:28:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Fuck no!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:55:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Wouldn't even be my first choice for a D/A wheelgun, but I wouldn't feel undergunned.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:08:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not at all. Thought you were going to ask about a tiny backup gun or something, ha. A 357 magnum will get the job done no question.
View Quote
I know 357 mag is a hell of a round. I was more talking about it's 6 round capacity and slow reload time (most combat sidearms hold 12-17 rounds depending on the caliber)

It's my only handgun at this time. I was going to go buy a new hk or something but I really don't have a ton of extra cash at the moment so I wanted to check what you guys thought if the python could do the job of a good combat sidearm.

Thanks for all the replies.

PS what is that picture of avery brooks holding a python? Was that on star trek?

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:22:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:28:16 AM EDT
[#12]
A 6" would pose a bit of difficulty to ccw, but if I ever had to extend shots to 100 yds. I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I know 357 mag is a hell of a round. I was more talking about it's 6 round capacity and slow reload time (most combat sidearms hold 12-17 rounds depending on the caliber)  

It's my only handgun at this time. I was going to go buy a new hk or something but I really don't have a ton of extra cash at the moment so I wanted to check what you guys thought if the python could do the job of a good combat sidearm.

PS what is that picture of avery brooks holding a python? Was that on star trek?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spencer: For Hire
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:39:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I started my shooting back when the choices in primary sidearm were a revolver or 1911 with 7 round mags. I still often carry a revolver today and I am not alone. With someone who really knows how to run one ( a dying breed these days) revolvers can come real close to as quick a reload as autos, and are more inherently accurate. Groups I have made at fifty yards with a revolver easily would only be dreamt of by a glock. There is an old saying which applies here:
Multiple rounds fired is not firepower, one well placed shot is.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is this question being asked because of the latest shotgun thread in GD?

If so, those guy's never do their antics in here because this is the tech side where they cannot get away with ridicule and attacks because you like what they do not like.

But for the question itself, if that was my only option then no, I would not feel outgunned so long as I had the training for speed reloads and some decent range time to garner confidence and to remain sharp with it.

But there are better options out there. Personally I am not so good at DA with my GP100 but I'm great with a striker DAO and with a DA/SA...but as they say, have a gun if you want to defend yourself. This is where you learn what you like and dislike, and can grow with that experience to to develop things that are subjective to you.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:37:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Multiple rounds fired is not firepower, one well placed shot is.
View Quote

SigMat
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:27:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Its a bit big for CCW but perfectly fine for self defense in general.  A revolver is going to require more practice to be as proficient with it as a good semi-auto.  That said with moderate practice it would server you just fine.  Practice double action shooting cause when the shit hits the fan you don't want to be cocking it single-action like some damn cowboy.  Practice reloads, a lot, and with a good speed loaders.  Not HKS or any other speed loader that requires you to twist a damn knob to release the cartridges. Get some Safariland Comp  II's, Comp III's or Jet Speed Loaders.

Another option would be to sell that Python for a premium to some collector that thinks they are God's gift to revolvers (S&W>Colt any day) and buy something more appropriate.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Sell it for $$$$, buy a good semi for $$.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Would I feel outgunned with a six shot revolver of any kind?  There is not answer to a question with so little information presented.  

As a citizen arming for self-defense? No.
As a cop with a shotgun or rifle in my car a few steps away? Probably not.
As a vice cop busing down a door to a drug house, Maybe.
As a soldier going in to battle? Yes, definitely.  

That’s the problem though; very few recognize a difference in roles.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:41:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh hell NO
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#21]
No, but I would wonder why am I carrying a pistol worth a ton of cashola?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would I feel outgunned with a six shot revolver of any kind?  There is not answer to a question with so little information presented.  

View Quote
In red, I agree. New sigline material right there.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:23:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, for what is kind of pertinent.  Now I think AZ has CCW so....  not sure you wouldn't want a weapon for carrying.  

If it were me, I'd shoot the wheelgun.  Double action, learn to shoot it well, and use it for HD (get a decent handheld light and practice one handed with the Colt), but I'd be looking for a carry gun and getting your permit.  Something smaller of course.  If you like wheelguns there are some good choices for CCW. (442, 60, sp101, Colt DS, all kinds...) But  if you get good at shooting a DA revovler, it will help you shoot just about any platform.  

You might think about a used G19.  Not overly expensive and feeding it is cheaper than .357 or .38 special.  Or any quality 9mm compact gun.  Shield.  Etc....   You might want to look for the smaller ones because of what you all wear in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#24]
If you have a Python that is in great condition, I would recommend against carrying it.  They are fetching nice prices right now and you could easily turn that one revolver into several semi-automatics.

At the same time, it's likely that they will continue to increase in value.  So my best recommendation would be to shelve the Python (feel free to keep shooting it, but don't let it wear a holster if it hasn't already) and find a way to finance the purchase of a reasonably priced semi-auto.  You can get a SP2022 for under $400 (you just missed PSA's $350), used Glocks, M&Ps.  Eat ramen and PB&J for a while and save nickles and dimes.

To answer your question directly:  it depends on the situation.  Generally speaking I would say yes, I would feel outgunned.  If I was suddenly forced into a old style pistol duel, I'd probably feel pretty comfortable with it.  But I don't have any use for single stacks as a defensive pistol and certainly not a revolver, even if it was a 6" Python.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:41:08 PM EDT
[#25]
most of the time I ccw a j frame 5 shot and a 4" knife I feel good enough  a6" python might be hard to conceal.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry a S&W 5 shot .38 sometimes and feel somewhat under gunned with it at times.  I carry a speedloader and can get it refilled in a couple seconds, acceptable to me if I can get to cover.  A 6 shot .357 wouldn't bother me at all.

I don't think I could bring myself to sell a Python if I had one. I definitely wouldn't carry it or put it in a holster at all. I'd still shoot it, but I'd baby the thing. It won't do anything but increase in value if you take care of it.

Scrape up the money for a relatively cheap carry pistol. There's plenty of good stuff in the $300-400 range, many of which are better options than the Python anyways. Consider it an investment to keep the Python in good condition.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would have to agree with this as well.  
I personally started out carrying a six shot revolver and never felt outgunned.  However I soon realized the limitations imposed by the revolver.  Nothing that could not be overcome, it is just I decided to go a different route that I felt was better suited to me.

Some of these issues where, harder to conceal, slower to reload(albeit I got faster with practice)limited ammo, harder to carry and conceal extra ammo as well, and weight was an issue for me as well.

As always YMMV as it pertains to this issue.

Colt Pythons are commanding a premium these days.  Beside, plenty have stated that there are potentially better options out there for a daily carry firearm that will not cost you an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:06:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Would I feel out gun in general no I wouldn't but I have a much different background than most of my peers.

I grew up with revolvers. I'd shoot them a lot so I got very comfy shooting and reloading them. I could shoot them fast keeping up with my friends that has semi autos.

So if it's on you no don't feel outgunned from combat to self defense. Is it the best choice heck no. But it's better to have a side arm then nothing at all. Even though it was a movie remember Jed from Red Dawn (80s version) had started with a SAA .45LC and ended with a couple RPG. Just because it's not ideal doesn't mean its not effective.

Now I don't know why you chose a Python. Kind of a random revolver and extremely expensive at that. If you had to get a revolver why not choose the 686P (7 shot) or a TRR8 (8 shot) and save a ton of money.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes. None of my handguns holds less than 12+1.

Main carry is HK USP 9, 15+1

Nightstand gun is HK USP TACTICAL 45 w/Osprey suppressor and TLR-1 HL

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If you get one of those, you can take on and win against the Jem'Hadar, even if you never get the flying car you were promised

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7U82V_NjhOs/hqdefault.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/7U82V_NjhOs/hqdefault.jpg

This is the correct answer
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#31]
With my current skill set? Yes. I would feel undergunned.

I would have a very hard time concealing that and therefore having it with me when needed. I would have a hard time making fast, accurate hits with it. I would have a hard time reloading quickly.

I rarely shoot revolvers, so I would always rather have an automatic.

If that was the only gun I had and couldn't buy anything else, I would train hard with it to overcome my inability.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 1:29:37 AM EDT
[#32]
No. But I'd rather have a four inch like my old Model 66 I carried for 13 years as an LEO. With speed loaders and loops I was pretty confident.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 3:43:19 AM EDT
[#33]
No thanks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

^This!
Can't say better!
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:05:54 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

What. no speed loaders?
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I only have a four inch python but would not feel under gunned with it. 1977 built. Love it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

What. no speed loaders?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What. no speed loaders?
"speed" is relative.  

Typically shooting people under normal circumstances means they are really close.  It would be shitty enough trying to get reloaded with a semi, let alone the 2-3+ seconds it would take for a revolver, the average shooter would take longer.  Ever run yourself on a timer to see how long it takes to reload a revolver?  It's glacial.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Wouldn't be ideal, but I practice with revolvers more than average.  

ETA- Go to your local IDPA Practice league, and shoot it exactly how you intend to carry it.  Then you'll know for sure if you'll feel confident with it, or practice more/ get something else.

FWIW I CC a $420 RIA 1911 that I've many, many rounds on.  Don't need to spend a lot to get stuff that works well.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#39]
I wouldn't be very pleased with that choice - pita to conceal; hate the trigger on them - and I have 10's of thousands of rounds through various ones. Shoot the Smith's better. I'd much prefer to have a 2.5-3" K frame for that role. Hopefully it wouldn't come down to this but far better options when it comes to weapon retention as well.

Link Posted: 1/16/2015 11:38:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A 6" would pose a bit of difficulty to ccw, but if I ever had to extend shots to 100 yds. I wouldn't hesitate for a second.
View Quote

This. I'd want a 3 or 4 inch barrel for my only handgun. Of course if I lived in a wild west scenario, I could also hunt with the 6". I really like 2" revolvers and no, I don't feel out gunned.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:12:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Carried a Smith model 10 on duty for years...issued gun. We could only carry 12 extra rounds. Never felt under gunned.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:28:09 AM EDT
[#42]
If by 'outgunned' you mean 'should I sell this quite expensive and wonderful revolver to someone who will enjoy it's inherent goodness because my actual requirement is for a more modern handgun with substantially better self defense capability', then yes, you're outgunned.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:46:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes.  1 class where you have a student using a revolver will demonstrate this. Slower on all aspects, especially reloading.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Double hell no.  But when I carry a revolver I have at least a speed strip with a second reload on me.  That gives you 12 rounds of 357 Mag.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:43:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Not ideal but not out gunned.  I normally have a Smith 442 5 shot in the pocket and still carry a Smith 58 .41 mag.  Now as stated a 6" isn't the best CCW length, if carrying looking into a good shoulder holster.  Anyone remember these guys?

OP, your nickname Hutch?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#46]
no, but I'd be afraid to take that thing out and get it scratched or have it get holster wear.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#47]
never felt that way with a 5 shot bulldog.

clown
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top