Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2002 9:31:38 PM EDT
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what is the difference between Series 70 and 80 triggers on the 1911?
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#1]
The series 80 has a firing pin safety.  There's a pin that is moved out of the way of the firing pin when the trigger is pulled.  The series 70 doesn't have this.  If you dropped a series 70 with the hammer down on the firing pin so it hit the hammer (whcih is why you don't carry a .45 with the hammer down on a loaded chamber) the gun may go off.  Really a training issue, but they added it.

It's another part that has to move when you pull the trigger, and many don't like the resultant trigger pull.  I never noticed much of a difference, and I had no problems on my Stainless 80 I used to have.  

Ross
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info Ross.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Certainly not a dumb question.......if you are interested in learning about the mechanics of 1911`s.....search for some parts breakdowns and compare the differences.......there`s plenty to be found......one thing....the 70 series has a "half cock" safety......so the 80 was most likely a upgrade due to the "glock drop" issue.........some PD`s do not allow carry of a 45 anyway...political correctness issue......search out info...have fun with it......................
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top