Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2002 6:28:56 PM EDT
Looking for opinions on small ccw types.  Like the new NAA 380, or a keltec 380, maybe a compact 9 or 45, any suggestions or opinions appreciated.

Thanks

WL
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Glock makes some very compact/concealable handguns in serious calibers that rival the smaller calibers in overall size. So does Kahr Arms. Check them out.

KahrArms

Good articles: Kahr40
Glock36andKahr9
HouseOfKahrs

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#3]

The guns/calibers you listed were or sound to be pistols and not revolvers, I am assuming you wish a pistol.

I own a MK 9 by Kahr and am quite happy with it's size, operation (After a considerable break in period), and accuracy - it is my usual carry firearm; they now have a polymer PM 9 as well.  I have not shot the new NAA .380 but did see and handle one at a store, I found the slide very difficult to rack, the sights were horrible and yes I understand this is  up close gun but never the less they were almost non existant.

If weight is an issue and you would consider a revolver - my wife carries a new S& W  38 +P airweight which weighs less than 11 oz unloaded. For a guy, this gun in a pocket sheath holster is easily concealable in pants
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 2:50:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Looking for opinions on small ccw types.  Like the new NAA 380, or a keltec 380, maybe a compact 9 or 45, any suggestions or opinions appreciated.

Thanks

WL

TX

Some more information would help. There are so many choices out there right now and almost any of them would be good under given curcumstances.

As an example. I live in an apartment and so stuff going through walls is a big concern. I usually use either my EG Mak or my SiG 230 with 380 +P ammo from CorBon or Triton in the 230 and 9mmM in the MAK.

For regular street carry it is usually one of my revolvers in 357MAG or 45acp. When I waant more than a 380, small size and super reliability and accuracy, it's usually my STAR UltraStar.

The best choice is really a function of what you will be using it for.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:35:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Unfortunatly, I can't use a glock, the angle of the pistol grip is a little off (compared to what I usually shoot), and is not comfortable to my wrist.  

Although I may end up with a revolver, I am primarily entertaining a semi-auto.  (Would consider a full-auto, however the small design and small magazine would probably empty on the first pull)

Thanks, and please keep'em coming.

WL

Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Although I may end up with a revolver, I am primarily entertaining a semi-auto.  (Would consider a full-auto, however the small design and small magazine would probably empty on the first pull)

In my experience, there just isn't anything that can beat a S&W hammerless Airweight in .38 +P for the ideal intersection of "carryability", dependability, and effectiveness.

Any auto except the Kel-Tec P32 or a Baby Browning just won't fit into a jeans pocket very readily.  The Kahr micro P9 might also be a contender here.  

If the gun requires a holster, I've noticed that many folks just won't carry it on a constant basis.  No matter how much you want to have it with you, sooner or later you will probably get tired of strapping on that Officer's model every day, let alone worrying about wearing a concealing garment.   For those of us who work in an office environment, wearing a gun on your hip is a huge hassle for many reasons.

But if you can just slip it into your pocket and have it go unnoticed, you are much more likely to have it with you.  

I have successfully stashed a Kel-Tec P11 and Kahr K40 in my jeans pocket, but in both cases it was pretty obvious what was in my pocket.  The S&W J-frame hides its shape a lot better, because all that prints is the cylinder.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#8]
>>In my experience, there just isn't anything that can beat a S&W hammerless Airweight in .38 +P for the ideal intersection of "carryability", dependability, and effectiveness.<<
I would agree with Ken.  The lightweight J-frames are hard to beat, which is why most professional gun carriers have at least one.  It's big enough to use easily but still small enopugh to carry easily.
Link Posted: 5/23/2002 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Howdy Tex: I have both an NAA 32 and 380.  Have had no trouble with either.  As I have often heard, it is the gun I carry when I'm not carrying a gun.

The little 32 disapears in the pocket.

The 380 is fatter and heavy for its class, but it still conceals in the front pocket carry.  NAA's website has some pocket holsters advertised -- I have an Aker Sharkskin for the 32, but have not bought one yet for the 380.

IMHO you really need a pocket holster for these little dudes, elliminating the print is nice, and elliminating that muzzle pointing at your balls is even better.  Seriously, the gun tends to rotate around in the pocket without the holster.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 4:26:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unfortunatly, I can't use a glock, the angle of the pistol grip is a little off (compared to what I usually shoot), and is not comfortable to my wrist.  

WL

TX

If you enjoyed the GLOCK except for the grip angle I may have another suggestion for you. I know exactly what you mean because I always feel like I have to aim down and to the right to shoot a GLOCK. I keep hoping I'll find one of their models I like, but so far no luck.

BUT...

The HS2000/SA XD has the same grip angle as SiGs. It just plain feels great. It is very accurate, and reliable. It has the trigger safety like the GLOCK, the firing pin safety, a grip safety like a 1911 as well as loaded chamber and cocked indicators. It's available in 9mm, 40S&W and 357SiG.

In this photo, my HS2000 is on top, my EX-SiGPro on the bottom.

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 7:38:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 8:27:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Glock 26 is the best small auto IMHO.
Best deep carry gun all around is an alloy frame 5 shot 38 revolver.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 11:57:30 AM EDT
[#14]
My dad has a S&W .38 hammerless 5 shot.. its a cool little gun but it pinches the meat in between my thumb and index finger and also my little finger.. for some reason i think its too small for my hands  
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My dad has a S&W .38 hammerless 5 shot.. its a cool little gun but it pinches the meat in between my thumb and index finger and also my little finger.. for some reason i think its too small for my hands  

Maybe you just need to try some better than stock Grips

Link Posted: 5/24/2002 6:49:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Depending on your size and build, you might want to take a look at the SIG 239 series.  Unfortunately, {?} I'm big enough to carry a full-size 1911.  The 239 or 245 would make a great piece, if you can carry it off.  I've also carried an Airweight, but I don't like revolvers.  They're great at getting the job done, but I just prefer autos.
Link Posted: 5/24/2002 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Tx,

I carry a Keltec P-11. It has a belt clip, and is 9mm with 10 +1. It is quite small and light. Fits under an untucked shirt IWB with the belt clip. I also carry it in an ankle holster.
I have a Keltec p-32 that can be held in a pocket with littel or no imprinting and it has a belt clip that nearly hides the entire weapon inside the waistband.

My bride's P230 requires a holster for IWB, but since it's aluminum frame it's light enough to carry quite a lot. I carry my Springfield ultracompact IWB too, but it is all steel and heavy, though small framed....I tend to carry it in the winter months.
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Tx

I have seen others who have had problems with the Glock grip.  This is unfortunate...  I like the Glock family of pistols.  One of the guys I shoot with has filed the back web of his Glock 23 to fit the web {between thumb & fore finger} of his own hand a little better.  He tells me he is looking for some "black" Epoxy to fill the holo grip cavity in his model 23, so he can remove even more matterial.  He plans to shape the back strap to match that of the Walther P99.

I how ever like the full sized Glock 20 chambered for the wonderfull 10mm.  I carry mine every day.  How-ever, I do not use a holster most of the time.  I have installed the "Clip-Draw" clip to my Glock 20.  I simply tuck it inside my wast band of my blue jeans.  The clip hooks on the out side of my belt.  I wear T-shirts or Polo-shirts untucked, and I have not had any one notice my full sized Glock 20 yet.

All though every body seems to gripe about the bando-leiro of six 15 round spare magazines I carry draped from one shoulder across my chest.  Go figure....

Any way, the "Clip Draw" is a great idea.  They can be purchased for any Glock, or M-1911 clone.

I suppose if I couldn't carry my beloved Glock I would find a Kimber or Wilson Combat M-1911A1 and mount a "Clip Draw" on it.

I am not a big revolver fan, nor do I love pocket pistols.

Just as an after thought,  I have to say this;

I carry the Glock because, when I draw the weapon from its hiding place there is no levers or external safties I have to click off.  I don't brandish a weapon and not use it.  If I have to pull it out, then I have used up every other trick in the book to avoid getting hurt by the bad guy.  Things have gone very badly at that point, and I am with in arms reach of danger.  So when I pull my pistol, I intend to shoot and kill.  The last thing I want to do is have to click off a safty or two before I drop the hammer.  

In that moment, I am happy my Glock 20 has 18 rounds of 10mm 200grn JHP in it ready to go.  Each 200 grain JHP is traveling at 1250 FPS and has about 693 Ft Lbs of energy. Not to mention a reload of 17 more rounds is a short second and a half after slide lock.

{15 rnd magazine w/ +2 base plate and one in the chamber = 18 on hand}

Feel free to choose your own concealed carry side arm.  The bad guys in my area travel in groups of four to six.

Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 6/2/2002 4:34:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Springfield 1911 V-10, Taurus mod 850 CIA
thats all I'm gonna say.

Link Posted: 6/2/2002 7:21:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been very happy with my Beretta Tomcat in .32.  It fits easily into your pocket, without printing too much.  It is surprisingly accurate.  I would recommend it to anyone looking for a pocket pistol.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 12:15:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I should have mentioned that one of the reasons that I prefer the medium autos is that my hands are rather large, and the small grips of the J frame are a little small for me.  Your Mileage May Vary.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Okay, here's my two cents worth.
I live on the coast, in a beach community.  I visit other beach communities with great regularity.  I wear shorts about 9 to 10 months out of the year.  And I also wear untucked polo shirts a lot with these shorts. The shirts are all one size larger than I would normally wear.
I carry a Kahr K9 or a Sig P239 in an IWB holster most of the time.
For work I carry the same, but covered with a sport coat or blazer, if the event requires a more professional appearence.
For those times that I can't carry something as large as the Kahr I carry a Seecamps .32 in a pocket holster and a spare mag in the other pocket.  Not perfect but there's usually a P229 or P226 in the car.
Link Posted: 6/4/2002 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Tx Lewis,  During the summer months I carry a NAA .32 in a convertable holster from pocketholsters.com.  This pocket holster has the best of both worlds.  It can be used as a rear pocket holster or a front pocket holster for the price of one.  

I know that a .32 is not the best defensive weapon, but it is better than not having anything at all.  In the summer time I usually wear shorts & a tanktop with my NAA .32 in its pocket holster.  

When the weather is not nice my main carry weapon is my Glock G-30.

Good Luck

Tracker
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#25]
I just got one of the Kel-Tec P32s with the hard chrome upper.  I've been packing it in a Don Hume pocket holster for the last two days, and it's very comfortable.  I ran 75 rounds through it yesterday, ball, Silvertips, and Hornady XTP.  It's a nice little gun.  Think of it as a remote-control knife, and not a full carry piece... nice for walking around the office with.

Better a .32 in the pocket than a .45 in your briefcase or car where you can't get to it when the SHTF.

QS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top