Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2014 6:48:28 PM EDT
So I finally finished up my T&E of the SPHINX SDP Compact handgun in 9mm. I liked the gun a lot overall, and it held its own against the Sig P229 Elite. The gun is built with excellent attention to detail, and while there are some things I like and some things I think could have been done slightly differently, Sphinx got the two most important things (reliability and accuracy) right with this handgun. Overall, I think it would make a great house gun, and I would trust one if I ever needed it. Biggest negative right now IMO is additional magazine availability, but we tested it with CZ mags as well, and the full sized ones (not the compact ones) worked well.

http://handgunplanet.com/review/product-review-sphinx-sdp-compact-9mm/

Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:39:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The full size steel frame version should be out later this year.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
An interesting pistol, but at that price point I'll pass.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been interested in one of these since I first read about it.  After seeing that price my interest has very quickly disappeared.  Game over.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:57:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Its Swiss, of course its expensive.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:10:47 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you mean by "held it's own" against a 229?  Was it slightly more accurate?  I can certainly see the appeal of a custom all-metal handgun, but practically speaking, what will this do that a G19 won't do for half the price?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you mean by "held it's own" against a 229?  Was it slightly more accurate?  I can certainly see the appeal of a custom all-metal handgun, but practically speaking, what will this do that a G19 won't do for half the price?
View Quote

Nothing.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Its not a glock, for me thats a +1. Nothing wrong with a glock, just doesn't do it for me.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

It was basically even on accuracy off-hand, possibly a little better. Tough to tell there without shooting it from a rest. Sigs are more accurate than people give them credit for. But by saying it held its own I was essentially saying that it was on an even playing field with another $1000 gun that is a well-respected firearm. What does it do that a Glock won't do? PRACTICALLY speaking, shoots better groups at 25 yards and has much more consistent ejection (the test gun put all the brass in a neat little pile). But those are also the only plusses you'll get over a Glock with a Sig, an HK, or anything else that retails for around the same amount. Sometimes not even that. And this gun gives you all machined small parts.

It's also a lot more ergonomic than a Glock. But I understand the Sphinx won't be everyone's cup of tea. And that's why there are 50 other brands out there. Like I said in the review, it had its positives and negatives. But it wasn't blown away by the other $1000 gun featured in the review. So we figured that was a start.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 3:38:34 AM EDT
[#9]
seems nice. I just can't bring myself to pay that much for a handgun.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I know they're nice... but is it twice the gun the CZ P-01/P-02/PCR/or CZ75B Compact are?
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:58:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I know they're nice... but is it twice the gun the CZ P-01/P-02/PCR/or CZ75B Compact are?
View Quote

That's the only drawback. It's a great gun, but it really does cost as much as 2 CZ's. It's one of those questions that really just depends on the person.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:26:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Its not a glock, for me thats a +1. Nothing wrong with a glock, just doesn't do it for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm a huge Glock advocate.

I don't see the point of comparing this to a G19.  

If I'm buying a sphinx, it's not to carry it.   "Swiss watch", "smooth", "hand fit" blah blah blah is nice and all, but only detracts from practical application.   This is the same rationale as carrying a high end 1911, except that it's cachet is lost on most everyone.

I'd rather carry a Glock than a sphinx, but I'd like to own a sphinx

Nice gun though.   I'd like to own one of their full size guns.  Not going to replace carry choices at any price though.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:27:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's the only drawback. It's a great gun, but it really does cost as much as 2 CZ's. It's one of those questions that really just depends on the person.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, I don't need two CZ's if one sphinx will do
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Just from looking at the hooked trigger and thumb safety plate, it appears ergonomically incompatible with my hands.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:54:07 AM EDT
[#15]
I have owned and loved many CZ75's, currently have a pre-B that is just tits. I will be buying the full size steel SDP simply because it is the best made version available.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 9:55:59 AM EDT
[#16]
So what is the real world street price on these things?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is a P-01 four times the gun a Hi Point is?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes...

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine that most of the difference will be the extra time spent on the machining done on interior parts or other aesthetic details.

The Sphinx might have a little better trigger than the CZ, too.  For practical use I don't know how much the Sphinx offers over a CZ, but much like 1911's, there are people who are willing to pay quite a bit extra for a few refinements.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 11:29:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yes...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes...  

Somebody who can only afford a Hi Point might disagree.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:21:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes...  

And they are entitled to their opinion.  The majority of those who can afford the increased capacity and superior ergonomics of a CZ will tend to strongly agree with JonnyVain.  Unlike the Hi-Point, the CZ P-01 has also proven itself by NATO testing standards as well.

That doesn't mean that the Hi Point is a bad pistol.  Within it's limitations it is just fine and reputedly has pretty decent reliability.

And in regards to the CZ vs the Sphinx, as I've mentioned earlier in the thread, the differences will largely be in the polishing of internal parts and perhaps a better feeling trigger.  For some people those differences will be enough to spend several hundred more.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have owned and loved many CZ75's, currently have a pre-B that is just tits. I will be buying the full size steel SDP simply because it is the best made version available.
View Quote

They've got an all-steel full sized SDP on the way that should be pretty nice.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

On gunbroker they tend to go from $900-$995 from what I can tell. I haven't seen any in local shops yet, so not sure on that one.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 6:16:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

On gunbroker they tend to go from $900-$995 from what I can tell. I haven't seen any in local shops yet, so not sure on that one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, I'd adjust down at least 10% - 15% from gunbroker on a new item that likely has much interest from the "gotta have it's " of the gun world.

That really isn't all that bad then really.

Realistically we are talking Sig Sauer / Hk prices plus a night at the bar.

I was expecting in the neighborhood of $1300 - $1500.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:32:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Part of the high price is because the frame and slide are hand fitted to keep the tolerances tight, that in turn helps with the accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Ok, I'd adjust down at least 10% - 15% from gunbroker on a new item that likely has much interest from the "gotta have it's " of the gun world.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Your guess isn't far off. MSRP was $1295 if I'm not mistaken. But street price is about like a Sig or HK, like you said.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a good pile of CZ pistols and Turkish CZ clones... Sub1k, I can see a Sphinx possibly joining the family.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Will cz sights work on it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Will cz sights work on it.
View Quote

The front sights are a lot different, so that one's a negative. But I didn't think to measure the rear dovetail. I'll see what I can find out. Good question.

Would you mind asking that on the article so I don't forget to follow up? SDP Review
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I just traded for one of these. I love it.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Nice looking gun, but what is the point of it when the 600 dollar SP01 exists?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is closer to a P01 in size, and from what I've read, the trigger compares to the trigger in a CZ Custom or CGW modded pistol. Which are not $600 guns unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because the Swiss build them much like they build their watches.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:29:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean overly complicated with too many moving parts that require expensive, watchmaker level maintenance at regular intervals?

The Swiss watch is not such a good analogy.  I do understand the precision, hand fitting part of the equation though.

Still, it's a CZ 75 clone.

I would like to handle and fire one, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on one to find out that it really does nothing better than a standard CZ does, in the real world.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

You mean overly complicated with too many moving parts that require expensive, watchmaker level maintenance at regular intervals?

The Swiss watch is not such a good analogy.  I do understand the precision, hand fitting part of the equation though.

I would like to handle and fire one, but I'm not going to spend that kind of money on one to find out that it really does nothing better than a standard CZ does, in the real world.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To me it's similar to a budget polymer da/sa pistol, like a P07, vs an HK P30. Similar application, comparable performance, but an increase in quality from one to the other. I love CZ's, but sometimes some of their factory pistols come a little rough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top