Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2002 10:56:20 AM EDT
I finally decided that not every handgun has to 45acp and am looking for feedback or recommendations on whether to get a Browning 9mm Hi-power or a Beretta 92FS. They are both the same price so that is not really the concern. Accuracy, reliability and the ability to digest various bullet types is the info that I can use.
Any info would be helpful. Thanks

JerrY

P.S
Please don't get started with the Glock flames
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:08:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I have both. The Browning is slimmer and more concealable, as well as being the best feeling handgun you'll ever hold (imho) The Browning is not (I Believe) rated for continuos use of +p ammo and I would not use +P+ in mine.

The Beretta on the other hand was designed for use with the hotter modern military 9MM ammo and will eat the +P+ ammo. The Beretta is a larger weapon and unless you have large hands it may not prove be a good fit.

I would suggest fondling both and starting with the one that feels best. I would bet it will be the Hi Power
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Beretta's 92 model is known for eating any ammo that gets near the feed ramp and has no pesky magazine safety to hamper trigger pull.  Also, 15 rounds, Beretta mag VS. 13 rounds, Brownings. The Browning seems much more comfy and concealable, as SGB says. The Beretta can be had in stainless, if that is a concern. I would have some trouble picking one over the other myself...apple or orange? At least both are still fruit!
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had my Beretta 92 for three years now, and I'm still in the velcro stage with it.(can't put it down)  I've already said good-bye to my Glock and S&W since then.  I just can't fondle it often enough.
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#4]
get  a newer BHP or FNhp and you'll have one of the nicest, most enjoyabe pistols ever made. It is, like the 1911, a natural pointer. HiCap mags are relatively inexpensive and readily available. They are accurate and reliable. They were designed for the hotter NATO rounds so using +P should be okay but you might want to change out the return spring.

Very enjoyable pistol.

Link Posted: 5/21/2002 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Definitely go for the HP (either FN or Browning - new or old). Mine's a 1978 production FN GP and no matter which ammo I put in it, each time I pull the trigger it goes bang. Maybe not as ultra-accurate as my SIG, but I'd trust my life on it. That's how reliable I consider it. And since you guys are limited to 10 rds, there's no fuss about the Beretta having an extra 2 rounds.

C-2-6
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I finally decided that not every handgun has to 45acp and am looking for feedback or recommendations on whether to get a Browning 9mm Hi-power or a Beretta 92FS. They are both the same price so that is not really the concern. Accuracy, reliability and the ability to digest various bullet types is the info that I can use.
Any info would be helpful. Thanks

JerrY

P.S
Please don't get started with the Glock flames

Did some one say Glock!!

Ok , Ok, I`v never shot a BHP but I`v had my 92f
over 10 years . No problems at all.
Cheap Hi-caps. Very easy to clean.
Plus it was my first real Handgun.

Try them both at a range , Then go ahead and
get the 92F.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Both gun are excellent....It's a matter of personal preference. I have both. I like them all.
Link Posted: 5/22/2002 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I have them both; but while I have one 92FS, I own four High Powers.  They are both fine firearms.  I would give the edge in reliability and bullet digestion to the Beretta, while the High Powers take the gold in accuracy.  Hi-caps for both are plentiful and inexpensive.  

The High Power feels better than the "holding-onto-a-brick" Beretta, but needs some tweaking of the sights, trigger and safety before it's up to the ergonomic level of the Beretta.

The Berettas have had troubles in the past with breaking their locking blocks, and there was an issue with the slide developing cracks.  I believe the slide problem has been addressed to most everyone's satisfaction.

I wouldn't feed either gun a steady diet of any +P ammo.  If you need a round that hot, just buy a .357 SIG and get it over with.  

Link Posted: 5/26/2002 11:59:04 PM EDT
[#9]
The US military tested the top pistals for reliability and only two guns past, the Beretta 92 and the Sig 226.

My Beretta eats any and all ammo.

As far as accuracy goes I'm not sure, but the Beretta was good enough for our troops.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 2:26:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I finally decided that not every handgun has to 45acp

BLASPHEMY!!!!  

Actually, my next pistol purchase will probably be a 92.  I've got to see what all the fuss is about.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 5:33:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on if you want (or need) a double or single action auto.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I was thinking about a 92 as well.  What's the deal with the Elite?  I haven't fouund it on Beretta's page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top