Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/18/2002 2:18:05 PM EDT
OK, after many years without a 1911, I am feeling the need to jump back in the arena. This time I am going to get a good one from the start, and wanted opinions on which one to get. Two of my previous 1911's were colt and springfield and both had "issues". This time I demand quality, reliability and accuracy all rolled into one.  Some I have looked at are Wilson CQB and protector and Les Baer.
So how about some suggestions !!
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that the 45acp is the greatest, most versitle round out there and the 1911 is the classic. Also, the very first pistol I ever shot was the 1911 that followed my Dad home from WWII.

But every time I am just about to buy a 1911, one of these comes along.

and they are fo much faster, so much more accurate, so much more reliable that the 1911 get's bumped back to Next Time for SURE.

Well, a couple weeks ago I found a great old Gummit issued 1911 from the BIG ONE. I went down to get it and here it is...

Next Time for SURE
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Of the three you've mentioned I'd go with the CQB. I've got two older colts and do my own gun plumbing. I'm keeping an eye out for a good used ser's 70 or older Colt to build up myself. Best of luck

PS: Kimbers don't look to shabby
Link Posted: 5/18/2002 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Of the three you've mentioned I'd go with the CQB. I've got two older colts and do my own gun plumbing. I'm keeping an eye out for a good used ser's 70 or older Colt to build up myself. Best of luck

PS: Kimbers don't look to shabby

The CQB is the one I like as well, only thing is the finish is that armor-tuff stuff. I like the look, but I have heard the durability is not too good. I really like the two tone, stainless frame and blued/black slide combo.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 4:40:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Spectre, I am leaning the same direction as you. Think in a month or so I will be shopping for a new 1911, probably a commander size. I really lize the Wilson CQB. But, for the money, I can get a plain park. Springfield, and then send it to the Springfield custom shop, have it Black-T'ed, and then basically turned into something similar to the CQB or a TRP, and still have some money left over. My dealer has a nice new Colt commander with a decent price on it, but for the life of me I just cant get myself to buy a Colt.
Link Posted: 5/19/2002 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Spectre, I am leaning the same direction as you. Think in a month or so I will be shopping for a new 1911, probably a commander size. I really lize the Wilson CQB. But, for the money, I can get a plain park. Springfield, and then send it to the Springfield custom shop, have it Black-T'ed, and then basically turned into something similar to the CQB or a TRP, and still have some money left over. My dealer has a nice new Colt commander with a decent price on it, but for the life of me I just cant get myself to buy a Colt.

Hawkeye1, The last time around I went the way you are thinking about. Both with colt and springfield. I bought the gun and then had it shipped all over to do this and that and it never quite ended up like I wanted. Thats why I think I will spend a little extra and get what I want and not have to worry about what it needs, instead just shoot it !!!
I am very happy with my HK usp.45 compact for a smaller gun and my fullsize usp.45 for most everything else.  I just miss having a 1911.
Does anyone know where the best deals are on wilson products ??  or are you limited to dealing with them directly ?
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
All my 1911`s say..."colt".....sorry......
Link Posted: 5/20/2002 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
How about the Les Baer Thunder ranch special ??   anyone have any feedback on it ??
Link Posted: 5/21/2002 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:How about the Les Baer Thunder ranch special ??   anyone have any feedback on it ??

I have heard that Baer's customer service leaves a lot to be desired, and lately more lemons seem to be getting by the QC department.

Kind of a shame if it's true, since I was considering a Baer myself.

The Ed Brown Kobra is highly regarded, and is not very expensive in comparison to the others.  I just despise the pimp-like snake treatment.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2002 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
How about the Les Baer Thunder ranch special ??   anyone have any feedback on it ??

Owning 2 TR Specials and having shot a few other Baers I can tell you that all I have handled have been top notch. Additionally, I've order and sold quite a few Baers and I've never had any issues with their customer service. My experience has been that both their guns and service is more than up to par. One of my TR Specials (my daily companion) has almost 3000 rounds through it and has yet to have a malfunction. They are very well built, accurate, and reliable guns.

So are Wilsons.... my Protector, although it hasn't seen as many rounds as my TR Special, is one hell of a gun and the CQB is no different. My biggest qualm with the current CQB is the use of MIM parts. With out debating the merits or pitfalls of MIM parts, I just can't rationalize spending $1800 on a 1911 and still having it utilize MIM parts. Wilsons customer service is top notch and I know from experience that any problem you might incur will be quickly remedied at no cost to you.

My best advice is to buy either a TR Special or CQB and have Wilson substitute the MIM parts for their tool steel counterparts. Both guns are well worth the price of admission.      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top