Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2014 2:04:15 PM EDT
I am going to Pennsylvania early next month for moving MIL down to NC, but flying up and driving down. Since I am flying I won't be taking my gun, but not liking the idea of driving without my gun.

Is it legal to purchase out of state? Driving there is not an option for several reasons, and I am not checking bags on the flight, since I am only staying overnight.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#1]
NOt for a handgun.  Long guns from a FFL, yes.  No private party.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I was afraid of, I knew no private party out of state. Damn.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the price is good enough just pay for a transfer

Link Posted: 1/19/2014 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC, You could mail it to yourself at your mom's address in PA. (list your name as the recipient, and care of your mom @ her address).

However, being a handgun, you'd have to ship UPS or FedEx, probably overnight, so it wouldn't be cheap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was looking to buy so I had a gun on the drive home, I'm not going to go shopping just to shop, so I wasn't thinking of a transfer. MIL doesn't have any guns as far as I know.
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IIRC, You could mail it to yourself at your mom's address in PA. (list your name as the recipient, and care of your mom @ her address).

However, being a handgun, you'd have to ship UPS or FedEx, probably overnight, so it wouldn't be cheap.
View Quote

Forgot about this, excellent suggestion.  Only trouble may be that UPS/FedEx won't ship to a non licensee, via company policy.  However, you may want to double check on that.  

OP, would you consider a long gun?  That could go USPS to your MILs place.
Link Posted: 1/20/2014 6:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Never mind... I misread.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd just get a lockable case and check a bag with your gun.  I've only flown once with one (to bring my Grandfather's pistol to Florida) but it wasn't nearly as much of a hassle as I was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 11:33:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Buying a gun for the sole purpose of driving back from PE to NC sounds much easier than checking it in a bag.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Check it With the Airline
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:41:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy cheap Mossberg shotgun and some 00 ammo should be sufficient to drive back.  Might come out cheaper than a new handgun.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:55:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Check it with the Airline..  Not sure why this is a big deal
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:11:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I've flown with handguns from many airports including some in liberal states.  I've never had an issue.  It's pretty easy.  

Walk to the counter and tell the clerk that you are declaring a firearm.  They will either have you open it there and place the tag in the case or they will take you to a separate room and do the same thing.  Make sure you have the handgun in a locked hard case.  Have a lock on the case and another lock on the bag.  Keep the firearm unloaded in the case but you can keep some ammo with it.  I usually keep the ammo in either the original box or I keep it in a reloading type plastic case.  I've never even had a TSA employee touch any of my firearms when showing it to them.  

Give yourself an extra 20 mins or so but I've never had it take that long.  It's really simple to fly with firearms.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Why wouldn't you fly with it?

Just check it in your baggage.  I normally do this pretty much any time I fly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Why wouldn't you fly with it?

Just check it in your baggage.  I normally do this pretty much any time I fly.
View Quote

This.  I have done it several times with no issues, just read up on the TSA regs, particularly the ammo storage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top