Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2002 1:08:56 AM EDT
I'm thinking about coming into the world of handgun ownership.  I'm an CAR15 shooter, but that sucker is a little conspicuous to haul around.  The guys down at my local gun shop suggested something in a .40 Glock, but I was thinking of something like a 92SF.  What do y'all think?
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The first thing I'd suggest is for you to hold and shoot as many as possible. You'll find that, just as in rifles, there is emormous variation in grip angle, width, height, location of controls, ease of dissasembly...

One of the biggest differences will be in the grip angle. For example, the 1911, BHP, SiG and Berettas will have similar grip angle while the GLOCKs use one that is very, very different.

You should also try shooting revolvers as well as pistols. The revolver is a great introduction to hand guns. It will be more accurate than the pistols and has the simplest manual of arms. In general, they are also less expensive and there are tons of great used revolvers out there.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:40:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Go to a range that rent out handguns. Try out different guns with different caliber and see which one you most feel comfortable with. A 92FS is a good gun, but have you tried a Walther P99? You might like that one better. Or..you might shoot better with a Sig.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 9:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Guess I'll have to spend the weekend firing guns.  Oh darn
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 10:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I assume you have fired a handgun before and don't have to mention "a .22 is the best to start with". Now with the disclaimer out of the way, I feel either a beretta or a glock are the best choices. The reason is they are reliable, most folks shoot them well, and decent used ones can be found for reasonable money. I have several glocks, people either like them alot or hate them alot. I have owned a beretta 92 I shot it well but never really liked the gun. I sold it to buy my first glock. I have owned a sig and shot it well but still like the glocks better.

Find someone or someplace where you can try a few pistols then make your choice.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I just have to insert a plug for EAA (the steel-framed ones). I have a 9mm Witness, and it's every bit as well-made as any of the bigger-name guns, but is a lot cheaper, and hi-cap mags are cheap, too. As Aimlees said, how it fits your hand is important, and for me, nothing is more comfortable than a "Witness." If a Beretta is for you, try out a Taurus; they are almost identical in design, with the exception that the Taurus pistols have a frame-mounted safety. Glocks are, in my experience, really accurate, and while I can shoot pretty well with 'em, they just aren't my kinda gun. As everybody says, try out a bunch, and get what you like.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#7]
If you don't have much handgun experience I would suggest a .22lr Browning or Ruger to start on. It's much easyer to start small and move up without obtaining the habit of FLINCHING.

After all most of us start shooting the .22lr before we move up to the 30-06.

After that I would suggest trying as many different handguns in varying calibers as possible to find what you LIKE.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#8]
9mm seems to work pretty well for me, and I really liked the HK USP 9.  I didn't really like the Glock, but I liked the Sig Pro.  I'll have to try some other weapons next weekend.
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:46:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 11:58:26 AM EDT
[#11]
The Glock was a 9mm, the grip and the trigger didn't mesh with me.  I'll be using this for self-defense and possibly some competition.  What's the main difference between the full size and compact size handguns performance wise?
Link Posted: 5/11/2002 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The Glock was a 9mm, the grip and the trigger didn't mesh with me.  I'll be using this for self-defense and possibly some competition.  What's the main difference between the full size and compact size handguns performance wise?

At SD ranges there is almost no difference. When shooting at those (under 21 foot) distances, the most accurate pistol I have is my SiG 230.

The SiG 230 is a 380 but with today's hot ammo from folks like CorBon and Triton, it ain't you daddy's 380. It is a fixed barrel so that if you can point your finger at something, you'll hit it with the 230.

As distances increase, the longer barrel and sight radius of a full size pistol will make accuracy better. So it's all in what your emphasis is. If it will be a sport pistol primarily, SD second, then a revolver willl be the most accurate foloowed by the full size pistols and finally the compacts. If it will be a SD primaily and sport second, then the order would be revolver, compact pistol and fullsized pitol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 4:22:54 PM EDT
[#13]
The guy behind the counter at my gun shop convinced me to give .40cal a try (by not charging me range time), so I took a USP40 and a box of ammo, and I think I liked it better than the 9mm.  Negligible recoil difference with armscor ammo, and I feel a little better with a bigger bullet.  I'm glad I don't have to justify the purchase to anyone though.  The USP ain't cheap.

Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Don't buy a USP 40 new.  I found one for a little over $400 used, in very good condition.  Granted this was a couple years ago, but I see them at shows all the time for about $475-550, depending on accessories.
Link Posted: 5/14/2002 8:35:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure that I could get a used one for a couple hundred bucks less, but I'm just weird enough to want to know every round that goes through my weapons, and from what I understand, the HK lifetime guarantee goes to the original owner only.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top