Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 10:57:09 AM EDT
Found a pretty darn good deal on a new Colt Commander. Trying to decide if I should get it or not. Has a great factory trigger. My biggest holdup, is, Colt in general. Given Colts track record of being PC etc, would you buy a new one? Really thought I would stick with Springfield if I ever got another 1911, but this one is very nice and has a great price on it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd never buy anything new from colt again becuase of political reasons.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 12:28:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt did not do anything wrong politically, contrary to popular myth.
I wouldn't buy a new Colt because they are overpriced, no other reason.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:20:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If the price was right..........I'd go for it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Have not seen a Colt 1911 under $600 in a while. The new ones are coming in with heavy prices. I would buy it, try it and add it to my other Colts.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:05:14 AM EDT
[#6]
The big advantage to buying a Colt is resale should that become necessary. If it's a great price I'd go for it. But it would have to be cheaper than a similar model from SA, Kimber or Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If the price is right...sure......personally, I`m leary about the 1991 models....expect to do some work on it.....but again...$$$talks.....thier QC is decent....politics...sometimes yes sometimes no.........
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:54:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Its not a 1991 model. Its a new blued "Colt Commander". I decided to just stick with SA, if/when I decide to get another. I just cant get myself to buy a Colt. Not yet. Have a couple of other things to acquire first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Colt was worse than S&W in the PC department as far as I am concerned. That wouldn't be what my decision was based on though......I wouldn't buy a Colt simply because their quality sucks....they just don't compare anymore....especially to the Springfields, Kimbers, et.al. Not since the 70 series anyway!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:25:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No. They sold us short.

How?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No. They sold us short.

How?

All I seem to remember is blocked magazines and removed bayonet lugs. And trying to be more PC changing the name to "Sporter" The All American 2000 and Double Eagle sucked. And yes, QC slipped when the company was in the survival mode. (I must be lucky, my SS 1991-A1 is awesome.)
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 6:37:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Sear blocks, odd-sized holes so GI parts won't fit on AR's, plastic mainspring housings and just shoddy quality on 1911's compared to better weapons at lower prices.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 5:34:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Today...you can buy .......series 70.....1911 mil spec......python...anaconda....and a couple more I`m probably not aware of.....all new mfg. ........they must have realized the costs or should I say loss involved by not appealing to the public demand......yes they had quite a few different "changes" over the past ten years or so......but the current mgmt...or stockholders must have wised up some.....goes to show what happens when you get too high up on your "horsey" (pun intended) and start thinking you`re too good for the "little guy"....personally..I would not be afraid to invest....must be a reason these are somewhat hard to keep in stock?........
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:19:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/13/2002 12:35:39 AM EDT
[#16]
If you find a good used one for a good price then buy it but as far as buying new there are  manufacturers making better 1911 style firearms for less (i.e. Kimber and Springfield).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top