User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2013 6:07:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:20:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Good to go but loud SOB's!
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Never had extraction problems shooting my friends but the accuracy was horrible! Neither of us could get a decent accuracy. Isn't there a semi-auto pistol out there too?
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#3]
My dad had one of those... Put up a pic OP...
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
as Gunner commented... use ear plugs and muffs.... I'm not sure that the frequency produced won't scramble something...
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Since you mention handloads, just a comment that case length becomes more important than in the rifle.  As far as I could tell, the Ruger revolver headspaces off the case mouth.  If the case is a bit long, or on the long side, it may cause troubles in the cylinder rotation as the case head bumps into the frame at the rear.  I wasn't able to determine if the cases were longish, or truly out of specification because it was a "what's the problem here" thing in a group of shooters.

It was fun to shoot and a great application of the cartridge because the range we were at is a pistol only range.  That chambering allowed us to have another option for shooting.  It was loud, but not bad on recoil.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought one several months ago, but haven't shot it.   In fact, from what I can tell, it may have never been shot.    It might be time to take it out this weekend and get it dirty.

Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:15:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 4:10:14 AM EDT
[#8]
As noted above, it's a higher pressure round - 40,000 psi versus 36,000 psi for a .44 Mag, 35,000 for a hot hand loaded .45 Colt or a .357 Mag or 23.000 for a +P loaded .45 ACP.  The smaller caliber also tend to produce a bit higher frequency than the 44s and 45s.

Accuracy wise, if the .30 ammo shot in a Blackhawk is tailored for a carbine length barrel using slower burning powders like H110, Win 296 or IMR-4227, the consistency in velocity will not be as great as it would be with rounds developed for use specifically in a 7 1/2" pistol.  

I use the same powders in some .45 Colt loads, but the bore diameter and the resulting bore expansion ratio is much smaller for the .30 caliber round. Consequently, those powders are much less efficient in the available barrel length in .30 versus .45 caliber.

Finally, as noted above, Ruger (properly) head spaces rimless semi auto cartridges on the case mouth, and that does impose some limits on over all case length to ensure proper functioning as well as limitations on crimp in order to still provide enough case mouth for the bullet to properly headspace.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 4:57:50 AM EDT
[#9]
FEROCIOUS MUZZLE BLAST
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#10]
If you have problems with extraction just polish the chambers with cotton covered with Flitz on a 22 cal brush.

High pressure cartridges can stick sometimes. This will help get them out easier.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Notoriously inaccurate.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 4:11:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Amen!!!!

Link Posted: 3/24/2013 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never had extraction problems shooting my friends but the accuracy was horrible! Neither of us could get a decent accuracy. Isn't there a semi-auto pistol out there too?

AMT made a semi!
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 4:10:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Here's a link to Mike Venturino's article on .30 Carbine handguns and handloads for 'em:

American Handgunner - .30 Carbine Combo Guns
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

AMT made a semi!

Found this on gunbroker...

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I would love a .30 Carbine wheel gun, but I absolutely hate the single-action-look of the Ruger.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:16:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I would love a .30 Carbine wheel gun, but I absolutely hate the single-action-look of the Ruger.

Well its a single action revolver, hows it supposed to look?  

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Friend has one of the Rugers.  It's sort of amusing to shoot.  Once.  I never could figure out what Ruger was trying to accomplish with that rig.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Friend has one of the Rugers.  It's sort of amusing to shoot.  Once.  I never could figure out what Ruger was trying to accomplish with that rig.

S&W experimented with a .30 Carbine revolver during WWII. It made sense at the time given the presence of .30 Carbine in the inventory, but it was load and not very accurate.

Ruger's purposes were different. They started selling the Blackhawk in .30 Carbine in the late 1960's about the same time the M1 Carbine was becoming widely available and very popular.  In that regard it made sense to market the Blackhawk as a companion piece to a carbine owner in more or less the same tradition as the Winchester 92 being developed for pistol the .44-40, .38-40, .32-20 and .25-20 so that pistol owners could have a companion carbine in the same caliber.

Link Posted: 3/26/2013 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Dad has one - muzzle blast probably rivals my CZ-52.

He also bought a Marlin 62 Levermatic as a companion gun - sort of an update of the Win lever/Colt wheelgun combo mentioned before.  I'll see if I can get pics of the pair this weekend.  For that matter I might be able to get a range report - he's taking my kids up to the range.
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Only remember 4 handguns chambered for the .30 USC

Ruger Blackhawk  SA revolver
AMT Hardballer II semi auto
T/C Contender single shot
Kimber semi auto (not current Kimber and very few made)

You stated you didn't want to sell the ammo, trade locally for something you can use instead?

CD
Link Posted: 3/26/2013 8:34:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You stated you didn't want to sell the ammo, trade locally for something you can use instead?

CD

Wasn't there a pistol version of the M1 carbine?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 3:41:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

forgot about the Universal Enforcer pistol.

CD

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 4:04:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Ive had my .30 caliber Blackhawk for 40 years. I've only had problems extracting spend shell if the cambers were not completely clean and maybe the cartridges have been in the camber for too long. I have had the most success when I hand-loaded specifically for the revolver.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

CD

I think you are referring to the Kimball not the Kimber.  

Rare beast indeed!
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:37:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I was looking on Gunbroker, the Ruger revolvers were going for about $400 and the AMT hardballers were $600.

Might make more sense to find an old M-1 Carbine somewhere.
Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:39:48 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, how about a cheapo Universal Carbine?  They can still be had for smallish money.  

Do your research and you can find an early one with USGI parts.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 6:44:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

CD

I think you are referring to the Kimball not the Kimber.  

Rare beast indeed!

Cheesebeast

You are correct, thanks for the correction.  Knew it was something similiar

CD

Link Posted: 3/27/2013 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I need to get a custom cylinder made in 7.62x25 for my Dad's M1 Carbine Blackhawk.  See who wins the muzzle flash battle.
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

CD

it was actually the AMT Automag III, not the Hardballer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMT_AutoMag_III
Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

CD

it was actually the AMT Automag III, not the Hardballer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMT_AutoMag_III

OK, I except another correction

CD

Link Posted: 3/29/2013 9:40:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top