Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2013 10:55:01 AM EDT
I am about 90% decided on the Looper LE belt, which is double stitched cow hide with kydex reinforcement. My current gun belts are both feeling floppy, getting elongated holes, and are discolored. It's come time for me to start dressing a little better and tucking in my shirts, so I need a new belt for this anyway. Might was well be a gun belt.

I'm wondering if there are any other good quality budget brands that offer kydex reinforcement. For the time being I am unable to carry very often or shoot practical pistol much at all, but when I do have the resources for shooting more, this belt will need to be able to stand up to a glock 21 OWB and at least two loaded mags hanging off of it on a regular basis, and the same glock 21 IWB the rest of the time.

Another brand I've seen that offers a kydex reenforced leather belt is Aker. But I have not read anything about it on arfcom. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking to keep this purchase at 60 or under.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#1]
My gun belts are stitched strap leather made by Milt Sparks and El Paso Saddlery. If someone makes a gun belt better than Sparks or El Paso Saddlery, tastefully assembled I haven't been introduced yet. Strap leather doesn't need kydex reinforcement unless attempting to hold up more than the 1911, two mags in pouches and Glock I carry on either belt. Neither belt attempts to "roll" either. One belt is inch and a half, other is inch and a quarter.

Bluntly put, up your price limit and/or lay off the junk food.

Respectfully,

dc.
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out the high-noon holsters rock steady belt. Just got mine a few weeks ago. Nicest gun belt I've ever owned, looks like a nice dress belt but its super ridged and bends comfortably around the waist. Only took them 3 days to ship too.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there anything wrong with the looper belt? I see no reason to spend 100 bucks or more if that option works fine.

Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My gun belts are stitched strap leather made by Milt Sparks and El Paso Saddlery. If someone makes a gun belt better than Sparks or El Paso Saddlery, tastefully assembled I haven't been introduced yet. Strap leather doesn't need kydex reinforcement unless attempting to hold up more than the 1911, two mags in pouches and Glock I carry on either belt. Neither belt attempts to "roll" either. One belt is inch and a half, other is inch and a quarter.

Respectfully,

dc.

The Belt Man > El Paso Saddlery.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Saddleback Tow belt

100 year warranty
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Ares Ranger belts are everything everyone says they are. They really make the gun and extra mags feel like they aren't there. It's a really stiff but comfortable belt.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:35:35 PM EDT
[#7]
[span style='font-weight: bold;']Originally Posted By JellyBelly

No Ranger belt. I prefer my El Paso Saddlery over my Milt Sparks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure what a ranger belt is, but the El Paso belts seemed overbuilt in the wrong places.

They added weight without adding strength. The Belt Man offers plastic lined belts, but even HE thinks people don't need them because a sturdy strap of leather should be enough for a big pistol like the 1911.

If you like the cowboy look (I do) then El Paso offers a fine product.

It's just not functionally superior to The Belt Man's products.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I just received a belt from Hank's Clothing, called The Amish Belt.

link

I acted on the suggestion from another member in a thread of about 2 weeks ago. I ordered on Friday and got it Tuesday.

The belt is a lot less stiff than I 'm used to but it does support my XD45 very well in my Crossbreed holster.

Belt is about $35 or so.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 10:08:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm not sure what a ranger belt is, but the El Paso belts seemed overbuilt in the wrong places.

They added weight without adding strength. The Belt Man offers plastic lined belts, but even HE thinks people don't need them because a sturdy strap of leather should be enough for a big pistol like the 1911.

If beltman feels a need to stitch plastic between leather I'd say he's got an inferior product. His leather is thin which means he's for whatever reason, not using strap leather. I'd say to cut expense because strap leather comes from a specific area in the hide.

Another thing, how can weight be added to a belt, without adding strength ? You care to explain that with detail ? I'm all ears.

Respectfully,

dc.

eta, Am curious to how weight is added, you can spare us the strength summation.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 11:50:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If beltman feels a need to stitch plastic between leather I'd say he's got an inferior product. His leather is thin which means he's for whatever reason, not using strap leather. I'd say to cut expense because strap leather comes from a specific area in the hide.

Another thing, how can weight be added to a belt, without adding strength ? You care to explain that with detail ? I'm all ears.

Respectfully,

dc.

eta, Am curious to how weight is added, you can spare us the strength summation.

http://www.epsaddlery.com/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/91.jpg

Look at the extra leather used to secure the buckle on their Ranger belt. Decorative, but unnecessary.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#12]
That's what makes a Ranger belt a Ranger belt and it is necessary. You obviously haven't a CLUE how a Ranger belt, by design works.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 12:42:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
That's what makes a Ranger belt a Ranger belt and it is necessary. You obviously haven't a CLUE how a Ranger belt, by design works.

It holds your pants and your gun up.

Anything else I need an advanced degree to understand?  
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:57:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I just wanted confirmation that folks still like looper (I like the one my dad bought a few years ago and handled) and was curious if anyone owned an Aker. I am not spending 100+ on a belt. Ain't going to happen. If having a kydex reinforced belt makes me an inferior gun carrier, then so be it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 2:57:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It holds your pants and your gun up.

Anything else I need an advanced degree to understand?  

No, nothing I think you're capable of understanding.

A Ranger belt for the record comes together by sliding one end of belt inside the other giving a seamless feel and more support to the girth than traditional buckle belts, that fasten by one end of belt passing through buckle and over the other end.
Ranger outer strap having buckle to one side and buckle holes to the other supports the larger strap and keeps belt from belt roll. To put it another way, belt works like buckle less duty belts and provides same support than belts quite a bit wider.

My Milt Sparks belt, made from sharkskin and horsehide is wider than ranger belt and provides excellent support holding a government model 1911, two 1911 magazine pouches and Glock 19worn sob as bug. Except it doesn't have the same girth support as ranger style belt. I feel difference in belts the second each is buckled.

I've worn a lot of belts and have no real brand fixation. Whoever makes a belt is of little concern to me, my one requirement of a leather belt is that it be made of strap leather, specific to the neck area of hide. Neck leather is thicker and subsequently stronger than leather from any other area of hide. I do admit to an affinity for ranger style belts because of comfort and support, not to mention the cowboy in me appreciates the western flavor.

Pick a good manufacture and insist your gun belts be made of strap leather, if leather is your preference. Certainly is mine.

Regards,

dc.

P.S. Save the shoe leather for shoes and boots.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Re: Akers Belts
I have three -- all 1- 1/2" width, different colors, but each is reinforced. For the cost, they can't be beaten at holdin my Milt Sparks and TT Gunleather, and have for many years.
Just MHO.
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:22:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's a few belts I have;
top to bottom
Daltech Force Bullbelt, it's new
Beltman, well used, everyday carry
The Amish belt from hanks, every day work belt, a few months old
Dickies belt I used for work

L to R  Dickies, Amish, BM, Daltech

T to B Dickies, Amish, BM, Daltech

The Amish belt would be fine for IWB carry but is not very stiff, single piece of leather. Roller buckle, has 8 holes and the edges aren't finished all that well. You can see the natural color of the leather in some places. You can replace the buckle.

The Beltman has served me well, it works well with IWB and my leather OWB holsters. It's two pieces of bull hide stitched together. The stitches are just slightly raised and has 5 holes. It was a quick ship belt. I carry a Third gen. S&W and some times a 1911. Both pistol IWB and OWB. You can replace the buckle.

The Daltech is the stiffest belt. Two pieces of bull hide stitch together but the stitches are raised some what. It will work great for IWB carry but is so thick that my leather OWB holster holes would be a pain to thread the belt through. Seven holes and has a nice satin finish, good looking belt. You can replace the buckle.

IMHO FWIW
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 5:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you looked at Comp-Tac belts?  A little out of your price range at $90 but it's kydex reinforced.  I've been wearing one everyday for two years now and works great.  Kinda thick and stiff but supports my heaviest 1911 with reloads on the opposite side and hardly feels like anything.  I have the 1.50" inch wide belt that tapers down to 1.25".  

http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=43
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 4:37:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Check boston leather belts. good quality and relativly cheap.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 6:01:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Oldfaithfulholsters has very nice kydex reinforced belts at a pretty good price. They come in a couple colors, or you can get one that is not dyed and dye it any color you want. They also offer several different buckle choices. Another good priced belt is 5.11 tactical. I think you would be happy with either choice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#21]
The problem with the Kydex lined belts is that 1. it means the leather isn't the nicest or it wouldn't need a liner, and 2. the liner will eventually break where it has to bend to go through the buckle. It will break long before the belt wears out, and make the belt unusable. Spend just a little bit more and get a quality leather belt. You certainly don't need to spend over $100. Mitch Rosen is what I wear and it is fantastic. Ruger stocks them and if you don't want the ruger stamp, Mitch Rosen can get you one made in a couple weeks. They're $69 for the expressline.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Respectfully,

dc.

AGREED!!!
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I find the Belt Man internal stiffener a must for carrying a gov't model 1911. For carrying my polymer M&P's, compact and a mid-size, the stiffener is over kill. But I figure better to have and not need than...
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 10:52:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Are you hide bound by tradition and insist on a leather belt?

The Wilderness belts are pretty nice.  Plus the buckle can be used to keep you in the Helicopter when you are (sniff) doing that tactical shit (sniff).

I am so Tier one.  Ok, fine.  Tier .001.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Are you hide bound by tradition and insist on a leather belt?

The Wilderness belts are pretty nice.  Plus the buckle can be used to keep you in the Helicopter when you are (sniff) doing that tactical shit (sniff).

I am so Tier one.  Ok, fine.  Tier .001.

Yeah, the secondary reason I want a new belt is my belts are getting a little floppy in places. The primary reason is I want a new belt that looks nice with polos and slacks, and figure I might as well kill two birds with one stone.

For those of you with "the belt man", do you think that the kydex stiffiner is necessary? Again, please keep in mind I carry two 13 round 45 mags and a loaded G21 for USPSA, and the same G21 for concealed carry.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#26]
I had one of the 5.11 reinforced 1.75" belts and i liked it quite a bit except for the locking bar of the buckle that fell out everytime I took the belt off. Most belt makers have it captured.

I just ordered one of the non reinforced ones because it was cheaper but I am not a huge fan of the buckle I have trouble getting it as tight as I need and it is not as easy to adjust
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I use a comp tac belt since I have to dress office casual.

Haven't felt the need to try anything else.

it's amazing.

Big leather, kydex liner, tough as nails.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 11:31:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a couple belts, and I would most vouch for the High Noon gear also. Really well made stuff.
Link Posted: 2/15/2013 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#29]
oops, obviously I posted that in the wrong thread.

Link Posted: 2/15/2013 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The problem with the Kydex lined belts is that 1. it means the leather isn't the nicest or it wouldn't need a liner, and 2. the liner will eventually break where it has to bend to go through the buckle. It will break long before the belt wears out, and make the belt unusable.e.

Not that I'm calling it into doubt, because the logic makes sense,but that's just the first I've heard of the kydex failing.

Can anyone else speak to that or had it happen?
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem with the Kydex lined belts is that 1. it means the leather isn't the nicest or it wouldn't need a liner, and 2. the liner will eventually break where it has to bend to go through the buckle. It will break long before the belt wears out, and make the belt unusable.e.

Not that I'm calling it into doubt, because the logic makes sense,but that's just the first I've heard of the kydex failing.

Can anyone else speak to that or had it happen?

Yep.  My 5:11 did just that.

After that happened, I looked at the features of my smartcarry holster and came up with the following... and never looked back.
conceal carry belt solution
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_5_10/133676_Carry_options_for_small_frame_guy.html
In the above linked thread, I included pic's, explanations, and a further link.

The benefits with this system are many.  To include money savings, time savings, convenience, and much better concealablitly.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top