Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2005 9:52:47 AM EDT
OK, guys!

I was asked by a friend of mine to look into something for him.
Frankly, I haven't got alot of time so I figured maybe you guys could at least help me narrow it down a bit.

He wants to get a compact. Doesn't really care what brand.
The only guidance he gave was something larger than .22, but smaller than .45. (I suggested .40 but he was a little concerned about that as well, so maybe .38 or lower)
Also would like to keep it in the $250 range, which doesn't leave a whole lot of options.

So anyone have a suggestion?
At least a place to start.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Oh Crap! You are going to get about 100 different responses with a question like that, LOL!

here is my $0.02 worth, He could purchase a new steel frame Taurus .38 with a 2 to 4 inch barrel for under $250. Recoil should not be bad with standard velocity ammo (I am guessing that recoil might be a problem from your post). The quality of Taurus is pretty good for the price range.

Another option might be a used Smith and Wesson revolver, I know the local shops around Columbus have 4 inch barreled used police models for around $250. Those are pretty good guns and should last forever with good care.  Recoil with these is almost unoticable with standard velocity ammo.

Maybe even a used Smith and Wesson Auto in 9mm would be a good choice. Relatively reliable and I have seen used ones in the local shops for around $275, but that might be a bit high for your friends budget.

Used is probably going to be the way to go as it will allow him to get a much higher quality peice over a newly priced peice. I would hate to see someone get a super cheap peice that is plagued with problems and hurts their enjoyment of the shooting sports (i.e. Hi-point pistols). I hope this was helpful.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Straight out of the latest SOG International Inc. paper...

- Taurus Millennium 9mm can be had brand new for $289.
- Ruger GP100 .357, 4" barrel w/ holser & speed loader. Used, Bobbed hammer, DAO, $199.
- Taurus Model 85, Multiple Models, New anywhere from $219 - $279.

Or if you can get him to spend a little more money,

- Glock 23, Used with 13 rd mag.   $359.
- Glock 19, Used w/ 10 rd. mag.     $379.

Depends on what he wants to use it for. I'd recommend a revolver if he dosen't shoot much and might want to carry it. Other wise, the Tarus Millennium isn't a bad pistol for under $300,.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:10:35 AM EDT
[#3]
The price range doesnt lend itself to a quality peice.

Check KY imports for a used one,www.kyimports.com/sw.htm#s&w  S/W auto 9mm. I dont like em but that just me

I would go with a wheel gun, a Taurus 38 should be had for around 300.00 new
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:48:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Check KY imports for a used one,www.kyimports.com/sw.htm#s&w  S/W auto 9mm. I dont like em but that just me

I agree. Go with the used S&W auto, just stay away from their sigma line.
Taurus =
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Agree with baddog......get a used Taurus M85. It can handle .38 SPL+P loads. Or if you look around, you might find one new for a little more.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Also, you might want to do some research into the Steyr pistols. No first hand experience, but have read good things about them. I've seen them for around $300, might be worth a look.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:56:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

Saves me some time.

Honestly, I don't know why the hell he wants a compact anyway.
I've been trying for months to talk him into a full size .45.
Another friend of ours has been pushing him toward a .357 magnum.

This guy has fired  our .357's and 9mm's. Likes all of them, but doesn't want one. (Same with the AR. Likes it, but doesn't want one. BLASPHEMY!)
Still working on my own .45 so I don't think he's had a chance to try one of them yet, but for some reason or another he just doesn't want it. <shrug>

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]
A Ruger GP100 for two hundred bucks?!?! That is a deal among deals.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#9]
For concealed I am going to say Kel Tec P-11 probably have to be used for $250.  I would stear away from the 2" .38 revolver for a new gunner...kicks too much and they are likely to get major flinch.  

If we are talking general use pistol then I'd say used S&W or Taurus .38 with a 3 or 4" barrell.  There are still a world of nice used Smiths out there that are police trade in's.  Not "Sexy" but a very nice, utilitarian 1st Gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top