Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2005 6:58:07 PM EDT
How do you carry your 1911's?  Empty, Round in chamber hammer down, round in chamber hammer back safty on?  Mulling over buyin one but not all that comfortable with the safty.  Any extra info would be helpful.  Thanks.

jim

ETA sorry if this is a dupe... could see how this could be.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Chambered, hammer back, thumb safety on,  This is the only way to carry a 1911
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:03:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Same here
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Cocked and locked. The only way. The gun was designed to be carried that way.  Round in chamber, hammer back, and safty on. Thats why they have a grip safty. The newer ones have firing pin blocks just incase you get the urge to throw it on the ground are live in CA.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same here

+1, badguys aren't typically known for giving you a whole lot of time to prepare.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:17:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:28:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Cocked and Locked..................... but it sounds like you need a Sig 220

Well I have a beretta 92fs so I guess it's the beretta's controls I'm used to.  I think it's the hammer back thing that has me spooked, though I do like the single action first shot.

jim
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Cocked and locked, if you're uncomfortable with that take your time and get to know the gun before you start carry.   A cocked and locked 1911 is not a novice's carry gun.   I carry one every day, my P220 stays in the gun locker after work.   Some people are 1911 folks and others just aint.   Buy one and shoot it, decide which person you are after you get some trigger time.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#10]
cocked, locked, ready to rock!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

get a holster w/ a strap b/w the hammer and the pin if you are worried too much
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Cocked and locked is the only way to go with a 1911.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:29:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Go to cylinder-slide.com (sorry i don't know how to hot link it for you) and look at their Safety Fast System, SFS system.  They also have links to the many articles that have been written about it in most of the gun magazines.  It allows you to carry your 1911 with the hammer down and the safety on.  When you click the safety off, it cocks the hammer and you're ready to go.  I have it on my Colt CCO and it is sweeeeet!  You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:42:02 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
cocked, locked, ready to rock!

+1000
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Go to cylinder-slide.com (sorry i don't know how to hot link it for you) and look at their Safety Fast System, SFS system.  They also have links to the many articles that have been written about it in most of the gun magazines.  It allows you to carry your 1911 with the hammer down and the safety on.  When you click the safety off, it cocks the hammer and you're ready to go.  I have it on my Colt CCO and it is sweeeeet!  You won't be sorry.

That's just not right.... must be cocked and locked...   HAMMER BACK!!!   It's like putting cream in your coffee....just not freaking right....   damn,......   I feel dirty for reading this!  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I was worried the first time outside of the Army. We carried the 1911 while I was in. I started to carry mine and was apprehensive about it. You get used to it. It becomes second nature. Study some plans and the internal workings and it will help you understand it better.

Really, it's the only way to carry a 1911 if you are serious about it.

It is about the safest pistol design out there. If you do your job, it will do its job.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just not right.... must be cocked and locked...   HAMMER BACK!!!   It's like putting cream in your coffee....just not freaking right....   damn,......   I feel dirty for reading this!  

Some of us are just trying to be a little more............PC...........there! I said it.  Yes, it's true.....I'm a closet "girlie man" when it comes to cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Condition One. Cocked locked and ready to rock. No other way to carry it, as far as I am concerned.

Perfectly safe too. The thumb and grip safeties are engaged and the trigger is covered by the holster. Try this: carry your piece for a week with a loaded mag, empty chamber, but cocked and locked. Hell, cocked and unlocked if you want. On day seven the hammer will still be back.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:20:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:52:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

+1,000,000
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#21]
When I carried it I carried cocked and locked.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:20:47 AM EDT
[#22]
There is an alternative safety/hammer mechanism made by a company in Belgium, it is called the SFS trigger system and is sold by Olympic Arms in the USA.  It allows you to chamber/cock the pistol and manually push the hammer into a forward position just short of resting on the firing pin.  The safety automatically comes on when the hammer is pushed forward, pressing the safety off re-cocks the hammer and it fires like a normal 1911 with whatever trigger pull you had before.

My STI dealer has been carrying one on his CCW .45 for a number of months and using it extensively in practical pistol competition.  He has just ordered a bunch more of them to offer to CCW users who want a higher level of safety or 'comfort' than the standard 1911 system.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 3:47:22 AM EDT
[#23]
A bonus is if you get an itch on your inner forearm, you can scratch it with the cocked hammer.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:22:32 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
A bonus is if you get an itch on your inner forearm, you can scratch it with the cocked hammer.

That's just wrong...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:32:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Condition One. Cocked locked and ready to rock. No other way to carry it, as far as I am concerned.

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's just wrong...

I carry one in a duty holster obviously when working in uniform. It positions it perfectly for doing just that. If I've done it once I've done it a thousand times.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:13:49 AM EDT
[#27]
NexQuietus - Familiarization, practice, training, more training, more practice and more familiarization will eliminate that uncomfortableness.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:15:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

yep
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:18:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Condition One only!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:20:05 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Perfectly safe too. The thumb and grip safeties are engaged and the trigger is covered by the holster. Try this: carry your piece for a week with a loaded mag, empty chamber, but cocked and locked. Hell, cocked and unlocked if you want. On day seven the hammer will still be back.

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:24:30 AM EDT
[#31]
+1 for condition 1.

Anything else is dangerous, useless, or some combination of the 2.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#32]
I don’t own a 1911, but I carry my USP Cocked and Locked. If and when I ever do get a 1911 and I ever carry with it, it would be Cocked and Locked.

I work with a guy that also has a CCW, though he keeps his in his car. One night I got back late to the office from an errand for the office (180 miles there and 180 miles back taking a proposal to another city !!) and I showed him my USP since I had talked to him about selling my Walther P99 to buy a USP Tactical and he was interested in seeing it. When I went to reholster it, I left it cocked and locked and he looked at me and said, “you know you still have it cocked right?” I told him that’s how it’s supposed to be carried, just like 1911s and many other pistols. I had to explain that it’s perfectly fine and safe. Anyway I think he believed me. On a related note, I sold my Walther P99 9mm to a great guy I worked with that also had a CCW (though he no longer works here since he's switched employers ).
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:34:30 PM EDT
[#33]
this is how i explain it to buddies of mine:
A Glock is carred "cocked and locked" but you just can't see the hammer. and my 1911 is safer than a glock because I HAVE a safety that i can turn off and on, show me the safety on your glock.. they say it's in the trigger thingy.. oh, realy,, so if joe blow picks up a Glock puts his finger on the trigger, pulls it, it will go off right? at least with a thumb safety, there is some kind of manipulation requiered to fire the weapon.
I know this is very simplistic, but sometimes you have to be that way with non gun people or people that do not have experiance with the 1911 clones
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:39:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks everyone for the really great input.  Looks like I'll have to get some trigger time with my buddies or even pack around one of his spares for a while (by the way are 1911's like ar15's in that if you have one you likely have seven more back home?).

jim
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the really great input.  Looks like I'll have to get some trigger time with my buddies or even pack around one of his spares for a while (by the way are 1911's like ar15's in that if you have one you likely have seven more back home?).

jim

You (and your bank account) have much to learn.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#37]
so i'm the only guy who carried condition 0?

a 1911 cocked and unlocked has the same # of safeties between it and an ad as a glock.  and unlike glock, browning didn't put one of em on the trigger.

pull trigger=BOOM!
no pull trigger= no boom

practice a little trigger discipline
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks folks.  The consensus seems to be cocked and locked.  I've not carried my 1911 for awhile due to that dilema.  I had carried it with nothing in the pipe, also with worry.  Have to take the time to rack the slide, if one arm is out I'm screwed, etc.  Opted for a wheel gun, hammer down on an empty chamber.

I do believe I'll go for a cocked and locked scenario here on the ranch for a bit and gain some confidence and comfort with that carry.  

Any opinions on a HP?  Considering that there is no grip safety is this an accident waiting to happen?
I generally use a Galco shoulder rig that does have a strap between hammer and pin.  Sometimes an inside the pants holster.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:24:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:37:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

so i'm the only guy who carried condition 0?

a 1911 cocked and unlocked has the same # of safeties between it and an ad as a glock. and unlike glock, browning didn't put one of em on the trigger.

pull trigger=BOOM!
no pull trigger= no boom

practice a little trigger discipline

All I can say is, be goddamned careful reholstering.  Trigger discipline or not accidents happen.

+1....sounds like an AD waiting to happen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Careful with condition 0. A student at Frontsight several years back legshot himself that way. Reholstering a Gold Cup in a Kydex holster with the safety off was enough to trip the trigger and screw his day up bad.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Careful with condition 0. A student at Frontsight several years back legshot himself that way. Reholstering a Gold Cup in a Kydex holster with the safety off was enough to trip the trigger and screw his day up bad.

That's why when you buy a holster you are supposed to verify fit with an unloaded gun before putting it in service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Condition1. Condition 0 is just asking for an AD. It does not take any more time to drop the thumb safety when presenting your weapon than drawing with it already off. Condition 2 or 3 is just as bad. paraphrizing from another thread. "If you do not feel comfortable carrying cocked and locked, buy a different gun"
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
How do you carry your 1911's?  Empty, Round in chamber hammer down, round in chamber hammer back safty on?  Mulling over buyin one but not all that comfortable with the safty.  Any extra info would be helpful.  Thanks.

jim

ETA sorry if this is a dupe... could see how this could be.

Cocked & locked.

I was kinda spooked about it, too at first.  But I tinker a lot and after figuring out how the system works it doesn't bother me.  Unless something's broken or somebody did a "trigger job" for you, it ain't gonna go off unless you thumb down the safety and press the trigger.

Oh - I did have a Kimber once that would drop the hammer into the half-cock notch about half the time when you thumbed off the safety... but that was a Kimber, after all... and that's what the half-cock notch is for.  Even Kimber didn't screw up bad enough to make the half-cock notch fail to catch the sear.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#45]
I always carry mine in Condition 1. Cocked and locked is the only way to carry a 1911.  After taking mine apart about a hundred times and really getting to know every piece I have no reservations carrying it with the hammer back and the ambi on.  Its a great weapon and as safe as the user carrying it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Forget the SFS system.  An SFS-equipped gun will give you the false impression that it's safer than the single-action counterpart, but it's not.  SFS is just as much cocked as a single action.  Just get a 1911 and be happy!
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Forget the SFS system.  An SFS-equipped gun will give you the false impression that it's safer than the single-action counterpart, but it's not.  SFS is just as much cocked as a single action.  Just get a 1911 and be happy!

+1.

The SFS is primarily designed to separate money from shooters, little else.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why when you buy a holster you are supposed to verify fit with an unloaded gun before putting it in service.

His problem was that he  had been using it cocked and locked, and failed to safe it when holstering. he should have known better. The problem was the uber wide trigger on the Gold Cup.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Cocked..locked...always ready to Rock. Why carry the gun any other way than what it was desgined to be.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Condition1. Condition 0 is just asking for an AD. It does not take any more time to drop the thumb safety when presenting your weapon than drawing with it already off. Condition 2 or 3 is just as bad. paraphrizing from another thread. "If you do not feel comfortable carrying cocked and locked, buy a different gun"

+1  Not only does it not take a lot of time to click the safety off, if you use a proper grip when you push your gun hand against your support hand, your thumb will click the safety off automatically.

I practice presenting from a holster a LOT.  And I no longer even think about having to click off that safety.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top