Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2005 2:21:09 AM EDT
What do you all think of these guns.  I LOVE desert eagles, but they're far too big for carry.

These are a smaller caliber and smaller sized alternative, though very similar to the full size de's.

I was thinking about this one:

http://budsgunshop.com/auction/49230.jpg

What do you all think...?  I haven't shot one of these yet, but I picked one up and inspected / felt it at a gunshop nearby.  It felt pretty good in my hands, I have large hands and it still felt perfectly sized, not too small, not too big.  Small enough for easy concealed carry.

By the way, I'd be going with this model baby eagle.  Not the ugly looking polymer model.  Average price is $400 by the way.

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 8:49:04 AM EDT
[#1]
They're decent guns, nothing to worry about as far as quality, IMO. I would urge a few concerns.

Aftermarket parts will probably be a bit slim pickings. Hi-cap mags may not be easy to find.

As for the gun itself, the safties always stuck out the side of the gun too far for my ergonomic preference so I never bought one. Not to mention you can show a drive-in movie on the rear sight blade. Of course, the rear sight can be easily fixed to a novak type.

I'd also suggest you do a holster search first, get an idea of options & price range for this particular gun.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:31:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What do you all think of these guns.  I LOVE desert eagles, but they're far too big for carry.

These are a smaller caliber and smaller sized alternative, though very similar to the full size de's.

I was thinking about this one:

budsgunshop.com/auction/49230.jpg

What do you all think...?  I haven't shot one of these yet, but I picked one up and inspected / felt it at a gunshop nearby.  It felt pretty good in my hands, I have large hands and it still felt perfectly sized, not too small, not too big.  Small enough for easy concealed carry.

By the way, I'd be going with this model baby eagle.  Not the ugly looking polymer model.  Average price is $400 by the way.

Nikkels

I like them just fine

BobCole
Team Member

Post Number :: 6900

TN, USA

User Info     IM User     Email User     Reply     Quote  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They're decent guns, nothing to worry about as far as quality, IMO. I would urge a few concerns.

Aftermarket parts will probably be a bit slim pickings. Hi-cap mags may not be easy to find.

As for the gun itself, the safties always stuck out the side of the gun too far for my ergonomic preference so I never bought one. Not to mention you can show a drive-in movie on the rear sight blade. Of course, the rear sight can be easily fixed to a novak type.

I'd also suggest you do a holster search first, get an idea of options & price range for this particular gun.

Good luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I live in a modest home with an immodest array of firearms.

Posted :: 1/9/2005 12:49:04 PM

I don't find the safety to be to far out, I actually find it not big enough/far out for my liking. But It's not to the point that I've started a search for a new one.

Aftermarket parts can be hard to find I have to agree with BobCole on that one at least for particular parts.

Meprolite and trijicon make night sites for the baby eagle. Also I've been told but haven't confirmed that recoil springs for the EAA witness will work with the Baby Eagle as well as a couple other springs. The other thing is this. Magnum research will not send you a new fireing pin or fireing pin spring. They say they have to install it so they can check the safet/decocker to make sure if functions properly. Now I think thats bullshit, as I have taken mine out on plenty of occasions and put it back in and I've never had a problem with the safety/decocker.

Mags, the best place to find mags $$$ wise is CDNN. They have the lowest prices I've found on baby eagle mags. Magnum research sells the 16rd 9mm mags for almost $15 more than CDNN.
On other thing on the magazines, and somone who has a 40 baby eagle will have to answer this, but with the 9mm guns the fullsize gun can use EAA witness mags, the compacts can not. I don't know if it's the same with the 40's though.

I love my baby eagle. Nothing out there fits my hand as well, not sig,  not beretta, not HK no body, about the only other guns out there that feel even close to as good in my hand is a 1911 and the EAA witness(which is esentialy the same gun as a baby eagle)

Most holsters that will work for the Witness will work for the BE, provided they are not molded for the EAA(kydex type holsters) as the slides on the BE and EAA have different contures. Mine spends most of it's holstered time in a CQB Solutions dropleg holster, I don't CCW with it(all that much) and don't open carry with it unless I'm on the range normaly. It may take a little search but you can find a holster for it. Magnum Research has some listed on it's website.

For the price, I don't think they can be beat. They are good knock around, rough and tumble guns that work and are underrated by many people.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#3]
here is a pic of my baby eagle with night sights and in 9 mm.

I love this feel of the gun, its one of my favs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v460/RaceRock/DSCF0198.jpg
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The Baby DE is a great choice. I have the full-size Jericho 941 (identical to Baby Eagle) and it is the smoothest wonder nine IMO. The grip is patterned after the CZ75, hence the excellent grip ergonomics. The steel frame adds weight and heft to the gun but it also dampens felt recoil abit so that fast, accurate follow-up shots in 9mm, .40 or .41AE are easy.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't go for much aftermarket parts on handguns, with exception of nightsights, holster, and possibly a rubber/hogue grip.

All of which I've been able to find for the BE :)  I've handled many guns, and appreciated no gun's feel (glock, sig, springfield xd, 1911), more then I did the BE.

Debating whether to get 9mm or .40.  I love .40s, know I can handle them, know I could do good at follow-up shots with them.  Way more stopping power then 9's, not that this is important but .40s can go through windows better as well.  I hear even better then .45s can.  

Nikkels
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't go for much aftermarket parts on handguns, with exception of nightsights, holster, and possibly a rubber/hogue grip.

All of which I've been able to find for the BE :)  I've handled many guns, and appreciated no gun's feel (glock, sig, springfield xd, 1911), more then I did the BE.

Debating whether to get 9mm or .40.  I love .40s, know I can handle them, know I could do good at follow-up shots with them.  Way more stopping power then 9's, not that this is important but .40s can go through windows better as well.  I hear even better then .45s can.  

Nikkels

i'd go with a 40 than.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 5:44:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the feel of the baby eagle, it fits my hands like a glove. If I were to pick a pistol on asthetics and comfort alone, the baby eagle would be it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top