Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2005 4:58:19 PM EDT
Sometimes a little knowledge is dangerous.......

www.blackwaterusa.com/btw2004/articles/1206epp.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Nonetheless, great advertising for FN.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 7:38:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Nonetheless, great advertising for FN.

Makes you wonder if they ever gave the CZ52 such respect...I could buy a CZ52 for each hand and a backup for each hand along with enough ammo to shoot for months with the money I paid for my one FN Five seveN without ammo (paid a little over $800 with shipping and FFL last May.)
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:02:57 AM EDT
[#3]
anyone else see that as an investment purchase?  Seems like a high ban probability on that sucker.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I got mine as a shooter and I currently use it for CCW.  If there is a ban in the future that's all the better, mine will become a safe queen and hopefully increase in value.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I doubt it is a real threat to police officers.  Most criminals don't spend money on real harware, I have a buddy who works the worst neighborhood within 70 miles the most extravagent guns he comes accross are Mac's and SKS's.  Any weapon in tokarev calibre can blow through class II body armor.  I doubt a cop was ever killed with a Tokarev or CZ-52.  Or that your average piece of trash on the street even knows what these guns are.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#6]
When you mention AP ability it makes cops nervous. Goes with the territory.

The first time this thing kills or injures a cop, there will be national news about it.

Be prepared.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#7]
More reason to keep it in my collection, the words "from my cold dead hands" comes to mind again.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 11:48:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Did anyone else get a kick out of the "the average shooter can engage a man sized target from 50-100 meters" part?  I must see a lot of below average shooters at the range because there are few people that I've seen with that sort of ability.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Well they can't take the guns away and the "practice HP" goes through Body Armor like a hot knife through butter, I wonder if this will become the first ammo ban. Is it possible? What do you think?

Jerad
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
More reason to keep it in my collection, the words "from my cold dead hands" comes to mind again.

+1
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:28:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well they can't take the guns away and the "practice HP" goes through Body Armor like a hot knife through butter, I wonder if this will become the first ammo ban. Is it possible? What do you think?

Jerad

Ive got enough brass to last me a while for reloads, Im sure theres plenty out there already that people are holding onto also.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:59:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Jerad

With the ATF, anything is possible. Though with the current Administration and Congress, it is less likely that any ban legislation will materialize. However, if an "incident" with the SS192 ammo does occur involving the wounding or killing of a LEO wearing body armor, the Treasury Secretary might make a ruling effectively re-classifying the SS192 as armor-piercing. Even though the SS192 projectile does not fit the current definition of "armor-piercing" in 27 CFR Part 478, there is a "loophole" in the section which gives the Treasury Secretary discretion in defining what other
ammunition is not intended for "sporting purposes".    

This tactic was used before when they "re-classified" the Streetsweeper, Striker-12, and USAS-12 shotguns as destructive devices. These three 12-gauge shotguns were already in circulation as Title I firearms. When the ATF re-classified them as DDs, people who owned them were given a  short amnesty period to either register them as a NFA firearm or dispose of them to a Class 3 dealer. If they didn't, they were considered felons.

Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:18:20 PM EDT
[#13]
wouldn't take a whole lot to just ban the ammo.  much easier than banning the gun.

investment or paperweight?  our good friends at atf might decide it with a penstroke.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
When you mention AP ability it makes cops nervous. Goes with the territory.

The first time this thing kills or injures a cop, there will be national news about it.

Be prepared.

It will be like to 50 caliber ban in CA.  Even though it has never happened, you could potentially shoot down a chopper at a mile and a half.

Some gang member will shoot a cop in the head at point blank range and they'll ban it based on the POSSIBILITY that it could have went through his armor at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I really wish the federal govt would override all the state bans and restrictions.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:38:54 AM EDT
[#16]
at the same time i'd feel guilty about promoting federalism.  I'd prefer to see the court rule that the states have no jurisdiction to restrict such arms, but that will never happen.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:32:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Speak of the devil, look what just popped up...

5.7 on ABC...

Looks as if the lawmakers are already going to have a chance to take a stab at our 5.7x28 after tonight.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:53:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

5.7 on ABC...

Looks as if the lawmakers are already going to have a chance to take a stab at our 5.7x28 after tonight.

So now it starts.......

Guess I'll tune into ABC tonight. If this thing snowballs, the SS192 might be re-classified as non-sporting by the ATF in less time than when they re-classified the Striker-12, USAS-12 & Streetsweeper as DDs. At least those three shotguns were in general circulation as Title I guns for a number of years before they were re-classified. The SS192 ammo has been in general circulation for what........5 or 6 months ?

Damn bastards....

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

5.7 on ABC...

So now it starts.......

Guess I'll tune into ABC tonight. If this thing snowballs, the SS192 might be re-classified as non-sporting by the ATF in less time than when they re-classified the Striker-12, USAS-12 & Streetsweeper as DDs. At least those three shotguns were in general circulation as Title I guns for a number of years before they were re-classified. The SS192 ammo has been in general circulation for what........5 or 6 months ?

Damn bastards....

I bought my Five seveN in May, and it seemed to have been out for a month or so...
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

5.7 on ABC...

So now it starts.......

Damn bastards....

I bought my Five seveN in May, and it seemed to have been out for a month or so...

Okay.........since April

Even so, I would hate to see this on a tombstone:

Here lies the FN FiveseveN IOM/USG and the SS192
                     Born: ~ April 2004
                     Died:  January 2005

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top