Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2002 6:44:33 PM EDT
I'm getting ready to buy my first pistol.  I've decided on a 9mm, b/c I like the idea of having 15rds in a mag.  I plan on spending no more than around $700.  I also plan on getting a .45 later, probably a HK USP 45f.

Here are the pistols I'm thinking about so far:

1. Beretta 92FS- use this in the Army, so I'm familiar with it.  I like he cheaper preban mags.  Heavy.  Not overly cool looking.
2. SIG P226- more of a cool factor, the SEALS use them.  I like external safeties though. Some debate over the durability of the finish.
3. HK USP- polymer, lighter weight, the most "high tech" looking of the bunch, expensive mags, I'm already planning on a USP45 though.

That is all I could think of.  Please give your opinion/input.  Also, post any pics of yours if you would.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
MP906 I've got a Beretta, Sig and a Glock and like all three. The Sig is the best shooter without a doubt. However you can't go wrong with any of the three you've mentioned. Happy hunting
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 11:30:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know how large your frame and your hands are, but for me, the Sig P226 fits the best in my hand and conceals the best of the 3 you mentioned.
It is well known around here that I don't like Glocks....just not the gun for me and if you like the idea of external safetys....well that answers the Glock issue.
Sig mags can be found, but they are not as plentiful as they used to be.
Model 92 is just too big for me to carry without a lot of coat or jacket to cover it and it feels like a 2x4 in my hand.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#4]
The Best one of the three is the one that you're most comfortable with and shoot the best. I don't think you need to worry too  much about durability of any of them. that may be an issue though for your Grandkids.

I love my SiG 226 but I like my SiG 2009 even more and it was less expensive too. That's a hard combo to beat. I would sure suggest that you shoot one of the SiGPros before making your decisions. Here is a picture of my SiG 226 and 2009.

If you plan on CCW and wouold like to have that one pistol that was custom made just for you, the one that feels like "Pulling Excalibur from the Stone", the one that makes you grin everytime you hold it, the one that "I really need to clean", get a SiG 225. Every single person that I know about who has ever even picked a 225 up says the same thing, "It feels like it was made just for me." It is probably the best, most natural pistol made since the HiPower.

Here's a 225 next to the SiGPro 2009 for comparison.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:41:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot about Glocks.  My dad has two for his duty guns, an old one he bought from the department and a new one w/ the finger grooves.  Both in .40 cal.  He promised to give me his old one w/ the 3 LEO mags when I become a LEO.  So, that is why I'm really not considering Glocks right now.

I think something new and different would make me happier.  So, since I use the Beretta in my Guard unit, I'm thinking I'll wait on that, maybe just stock up on some preban mags.

So, as of now I'm thinking a SIG P226.  I'll have to go fondle one at the next gunshow and see how it fits me.  

Sigs do not have external safeties right?
And how do the different finishes compare? I want black.  I've heard there are problems w/ wear on SIG frames.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Personally, I'd scratch the glock.  Fine weapon that suffers from an uncomfortable grip and odd grip angle IMHO.  I'd forget the USP as well.  I feel it is the best modern auto, but 15 rounders are too pricey (and capacity is the point of a fullsize 9mm).  Either the beretta or the sig would treat you right.  I'd pick the one that fit your hand better.  Also, if you have a hankering for the exotic, the steyr gb is supposed to be amazing (but avoid the clone).  I'd probably go with the Sig.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I forgot about Glocks.  My dad has two for his duty guns, an old one he bought from the department and a new one w/ the finger grooves.  Both in .40 cal.  He promised to give me his old one w/ the 3 LEO mags when I become a LEO.  So, that is why I'm really not considering Glocks right now.

I think something new and different would make me happier.  So, since I use the Beretta in my Guard unit, I'm thinking I'll wait on that, maybe just stock up on some preban mags.

So, as of now I'm thinking a SIG P226.  I'll have to go fondle one at the next gunshow and see how it fits me.  

Sigs do not have external safeties right?
And how do the different finishes compare? I want black.  I've heard there are problems w/ wear on SIG frames.

Don't worry about the finish unless you are severely anal rententive and think Martha Stewart would make an ideal roomamte. If you do get more wear than you want, SiG will refinish it for about $60.00.
jim
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for 226!
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I would buy a Jennings ! you could buy 5 of them for $700.00 and still have money left over for ammo.
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
AYE`.......What`s with the Martha Stewart comment?...............
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would buy a Jennings ! you could buy 5 of them for $700.00 and still have money left over for ammo.

That`s Bryco Arms........LMAO......
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:20:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:52:41 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are going to get a .45 later, get a 9mm 1911 now, and a .45 1911 later.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:41:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I seem to remember a pretty nice semi-auto called a BROWNING HIGH POWER which started the whole 14 + 1 or so mag trend...

It's a classy, very well put together 9mm pistol.

I also agree with whomever said get a 1911 style as you'll do well with the .45 1911 when you "Graduate" to a big boy's weapon

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 3:53:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I love 1911s, but I'm a purist,only .45ACP for me.  Brownings are not "new" enough for my first pistol and I don't find them very visually appealing, but maybe later.  

It's a toss up b/n the Beretta or SIG as of now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 11:04:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I would choose Sig over Beretta.

The only advantage to the Berettas is more pre-ban mags out there.
Link Posted: 4/28/2002 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I love 1911s, but I'm a purist,only .45ACP for me.  Brownings are not "new" enough for my first pistol and I don't find them very visually appealing, but maybe later.  

It's a toss up b/n the Beretta or SIG as of now.

The important thing is that you're comfortable with the pistol. Try shooting both. Call the ranges in your area and see which ones rent guns. Then go out and shoot them. You know what the Beretta is like so try to find a 226 to shoot. If you start a thread in General looking for someone in your area, there's a good chance that you can connect up with someone who has a 226.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 4:44:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Why, the 226 ofcourse. Or maybe any other pistol from the SIG line.

C-2-6
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:39:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I am going to go out on a limb and recommend the S&W 5906.  Accurate, durable, can be had for almost nothing, and hi-caps are very plentiful (read: cheap).  

It's not the European wonder pistol of the moment, but it gets the job done.

At one time I would've recommended the Glock, but I have come to dislike them.  I don't know if my hands have changed or whether I just didn't notice it before, but shooting my Glocks is painful -- especially with the stupid new "finger grooves that don't fit", which are an abomination.  My G17 also has a tight chamber that is very picky and will not chamber 5% of my reloads (I use a 145 gr. lead bullet).

Link Posted: 4/29/2002 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Ken may have something there...a 5906/5904 (black followers-14 round, orange followers-15 round) While not state of the art, they are all over the place. More models to choose from too. The 5906 is heavy (solid SS frame) the 6906 is smaller and lighter (aluminum frame) with 12 shot mags...and those are cheap. Police trade ins may be a diamond in the rough. Parts are easy too. And you should have about half of that $700 left over. Just a frugal alternative.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:38:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
.  My G17 also has a tight chamber that is very picky and will not chamber 5% of my reloads (I use a 145 gr. lead bullet).

You're shooting lead bullets in your Glock?

Yes.  I wouldn't want to do it in a .40 but as long as I keep the barrel clean I haven't had any problems with the G17.

Edited to say, I use light loads of medium-speed powder to keep leading to a minimum.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 11:03:47 AM EDT
[#23]
You know, it might make more sense to break up all the possibilities into different categories.

For example, if you are talking about full size 9mm semiauto handguns:

There are polymer frames, aluminum alloy frames, steel frames.  Which do you prefer?

There are SA + external safety, DA/SA + decocker, and DAO trigger/firing mechanisms.  Which do you prefer?

I'll tell you, I'm also planning on purchasing a full size 9mm semiauto.  I've done a HUGE amount of research, and spent alot of money renting at the range.

I considered all of the main contenders in this field (Glock 17, HK-USP9, Berreta 92FS, CZ-75B, SIG P226) and I landed on the SIG P226.  For me, this gun is SIMPLY THE BEST.  Although, I have to give an honorable mention to the CZ-75B SA, which is my runner-up.  But, I ended up prefering the DA/SA + decocker mechanism over the SA + external safety.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:Ken may have something there...a 5906/5904 (black followers-14 round, orange followers-15 round) While not state of the art, they are all over the place. More models to choose from too. The 5906 is heavy (solid SS frame) the 6906 is smaller and lighter (aluminum frame) with 12 shot mags...and those are cheap. Police trade ins may be a diamond in the rough. Parts are easy too. And you should have about half of that $700 left over. Just a frugal alternative.

I have a 6906, it's one of my wife's favorites because it's a sweet shooter.  It's a police trade-in with the tritium Novaks.  Hi-cap mags were $30 last I saw.  I like it quite a bit as it's one of the few compacts that I can get my whole hand around, but it is not what you'd call "full-size".  
Link Posted: 5/1/2002 6:18:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Would you give the Walther P99 a try?

Link Posted: 5/2/2002 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Would you give the Walther P99 a try?

Now that's a holster I'd want to see.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Holster, shmolster, you open the door and get in it! Only lacks a DVD player!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top