Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2005 1:15:39 PM EDT
I'm thinking of purchasing a new pistol and was considering Para Ordinance P14-45.  Does anyone have any experience with these?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 1:55:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I got the P-12, I love it. It's pretty friggin heavy loaded up though.
I'd say get it!
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd avoid para all together.  All parts are cast and of notorious poor quality.  
Hilton Yam had this to say about Paras...

"As far as my opinion on Para's, it may be interesting, but it's not unique. Para Ordnance 1911's -- all of them -- are made from low quality investment castings. The slide, frame, barrel, and all the small parts are cast. Their fit and finish is on the lower end of factory 1911's, and their QC has traditionally allowed some fundamentally wrong guns to get out the door. Frame holes that are mislocated are rather common in Para's, as are very roughly cast components with "acne" (surface voids in the casting). Look around at the many professional organizations using 1911's -- NO ONE is using the Para. Look at the competition arena -- with the exception of the Para's that are used by their sponsored shooter, everyone else pretty much uses STI/SVI hi cap guns. If your gun runs great, then be happy with it. However, keep in mind that a single gun is a very small statistical sampling and is not indicative of the state of the industry."

If it's a "gaming" gun, look no further than the STI.

Rich
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm thinking of purchasing a new pistol and was considering Para Ordinance P14-45.  Does anyone have any experience with these?

A friend of mine has one, he loves his. What do you intend to do with yours? CCW? IDPA? Range only?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:12:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have 3 Paras- P-13, P-16, and P-14/40.  All have been good for me.  No problems at all.  My favorite is the P-14/40 (basically a P-12 in .40).   If the Para nay-sayers bother you, consider the Springfield Mil-Spec wide body.  Nice pistol for $499 and uses Para P-14 mags.  Mine came with 13rd Mec-gar mags.
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
...consider the Springfield Mil-Spec wide body.  Nice pistol for $499 and uses Para P-14 mags.  Mine came with 13rd Mec-gar mags.

THERE'S your answer.

Rich
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:11:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Its going to be a range/bed stand gun. The SA website doesnt mention a wide body Mil-Spec.  Where can I get information regarding them?
Link Posted: 1/2/2005 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Springfield Armory model PX9707L.  Go to 1911Fourm.com and check the topic "The Hi-cap Mil-Spec" in the Springfield Armory section for comments.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I bought a P-14 Limited in Jan 2001.  I still own it and have 5 mags for it and am very happy with it.  I do not recall any stoppages with over 1,000 rounds through it.  I cannot qualify any of the negative statements about workmanship since mine is excellent.

To be clear though, the mag release and trigger does appear to be plastic and it isn't finished as well as a Kimber.  Just an FYI...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top