Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2002 7:51:14 PM EDT
I have one of these pistols (actually, it's my wife's ) and am considering picking up a second one that will obviously be used.

Got a few questions, however:

1. What would the going rate be on a 3913 in good, VG and excellent (say LNIB) condition? I don't have a blue book or working knowledge of the value of these guns.

2. Though I've dragged my gun (er, my wife's gun) though heck and back, it's never stopped ticking and always cleans up well. I have nothing but positive things to say about my 3913 when used for it's intended purpose. [Well, except for the high bore axis, mag disconnect, slide mounted safety and somewhat heavy trigger.] I can live with these negatives for all the positives of the gun. But does anyone have any experience with broken 3913's, or Smiths in general? What parts do I need to be concerned with on a used gun like this? What demons lie hidden in the 3913 that I don't know about? FWIW, my wife's gun is not a high mileage gun, though it will get shot much more in the next few years at IDPA.

Hmmm, not sure I can think of anything else. But if anyone has an answer to these questions (even if it is negative or positive experience with other third gen Smiths) please chime in. I need to start getting serious on an offer here in the next few days or sooner.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:18:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never had a 3913. However I have had three Mdl 59's and two model 39's. The only problem I had with any was an extractor that needed to be tuned. Smith's are easy auto's to work on IMHO. The area you most want to look at is the Frame around the slide stop, check for cracks. Otherwise inspect the weapon for abuse or misuse as you would any other used Firearm.

The Magazine disconect can be deactivated by removing the rear sight and extracting the spring and plunger found there.

If your FFL does inexpensive transfers you may want to check out kyimports.com. They deal in police trade ins and I've had excellant luck purchasing from them.

Best of Luck
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Owning a 6906, the only work I felt it needed was some polishing to remove the gritty takeup in the (DA) trigger.  It was dragging across something, sear legs, disconnector? I forget... but whatever it was had some rough toolmarks on it.  Oh, and I also hacksawed off the hooked "finger rest" magazine base pad.  I don't like hooked finger rests on a CCW gun, they catch on too many things.

In my opinion the S&W 3rd gen autos are underrated, and I never understood why folks will bitch about the slide-mounted safety (which is almost identical to the Beretta's), and the magazine safety, which, like the High Power's, can easily be removed.

I have been keeping my eyes open for a 3913 in good shape, but haven't seen that many.  I'm not willing to pay over $350 for one, which should be reasonable.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 5:51:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I was always happy with the 39s and think the 639 was the peak of its model series...wood grips, stainless steel frame, ergonomic, reliable and classic looks. I'm not as keen on the wrap around plastic grips on the 3rd generations, I found some grips shifting on the frames and some that didn't sit flat on the sides. (a file here or a hot needle there usually tightens them up) Or maybe... I'm just old fashioned?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

Funny thing is, I was ready to move on a few 3913's from Gunsamerica.com. But then a buddy at work said he'd sell me his 3914. He's had it for only a few months and it came from a deputy sheriff I know. The deputy only put about 250 rounds through it and my coworker shot 400 rounds.

Get this. It's a gun with a known record, that comes with a pancake, shoulder holster, ankle holster (I'm an Alessi guy, and these are unknowns so I chalk them up as freebies), case and factory mags. All for $300. Exactly what my coworker paid for it. To his credit he's not trying to stick me for extra $.

I'll take the gun home tomorrow for an inspection and will get to keep it for a few days and fire it. I'll let you know what I think.

It will be nice to own a 3913 and 3914. I'm very excited about this devolpement.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 7:56:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow! Luck is with you, Corey. A deal like that can't be passed up! Maybe the wife will want both, freeing you up to find another bargain?
Link Posted: 4/24/2002 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Alessi holsters.......made right here in WNY...............
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

Funny thing is, I was ready to move on a few 3913's from Gunsamerica.com. But then a buddy at work said he'd sell me his 3914. He's had it for only a few months and it came from a deputy sheriff I know. The deputy only put about 250 rounds through it and my coworker shot 400 rounds.

Get this. It's a gun with a known record, that comes with a pancake, shoulder holster, ankle holster (I'm an Alessi guy, and these are unknowns so I chalk them up as freebies), case and factory mags. All for $300. Exactly what my coworker paid for it. To his credit he's not trying to stick me for extra $.

I'll take the gun home tomorrow for an inspection and will get to keep it for a few days and fire it. I'll let you know what I think.

It will be nice to own a 3913 and 3914. I'm very excited about this devolpement.  

Gee, Corey I was just about to tell you that I have Milt Sparks Holster and Mag pouch for the 3913/3914 offered on an aution site...but looks like you're covered!!!!
Congrats, I carried a Novak customised 3913 for years and was extremely well pleased and I feel you you will be also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top