Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2002 6:44:46 PM EDT
Since I turn 21 tomorrow(WHOOHOOO!!) I can finally buy a handgun. Any recommendations?
I want a 1911 type. I've fired other guns, and that's what I like the best. Fits my hand good and the trigger is real nice.
I'm looking at the Springfield Mil-Spec right now, because it looks pretty basic and is relatively cheap, but I would most certainly take other suggestions.
It'll be for self-defense, probably not carry, but home/car type. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of people don't like my personal choice of handgun merely because it doesn't have a "big name" but I love my EAA "Witness." I liked my 9mm so much I got a .45, too. They are a little heavy (both are steel-framed), but are very well-made, accurate and reliable. And since they aren't very popular, they can be had fairly cheap. About the only thing needing modification is the addition of an adjustable sight.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot, but you might also look at a RRA 45. If you like a military-type pistol, they are very nice, and within your price range.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]

I have two Kimbers and love them both.  I have a Pro Carry SLE and a Custom Eclipse.  They have been utterly reliable and incredibly accurate.  If you have enough to get a Kimber Custom, I highly reccommend that route.  The Springfields are good guns, but they aren't made in USA and their frames feel a bit blockier to me than the Kimbers.  Congrats on whichever you choose.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you picked out a fine birthday gift! Make sure you keep it, through the years, you will remember your first car, your first POA, but you will still have your first gun! My son, upon reaching 21 requested one of my S&W 645s...he had a VERY happy birthday! And I hope you do too!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The S/A mi;spec will be a great starter 1911 and at an affordable price. You wont go wrong with your choice. But be aware the 1911 is as addictive as sex and candy ! You will not be satisfied with only one, Let us know when you get it and we will give you all the tips you need to become one with the dark side  hr

Buy IT!

Buy IT!!

Buy IT!!!

(30 more days and I can get another 1911 BTW Happy birthday, mine was on the 11th of this month too!
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 1:57:19 PM EDT
[#8]
A 1911 is an awful choice for a first handgun.  Get a 22 of whatever flavor you like, run several thousand rounds of practice ammo thru it then jump up to something in centerfire.  I have seen this mistake made more times than I care to  remember.  Jump right into a 45 (or a 40) and start shooting.  By the end of the first session you will have developed a flinch that will take months to get rid of.

Link Posted: 4/22/2002 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A 1911 is an awful choice for a first handgun.  Get a 22 of whatever flavor you like, run several thousand rounds of practice ammo thru it then jump up to something in centerfire.  I have seen this mistake made more times than I care to  remember.  Jump right into a 45 (or a 40) and start shooting.  By the end of the first session you will have developed a flinch that will take months to get rid of.

I would assume by 21, he would have tried out a lot of guns by now, if not, that .22 rule may apply. I did it all, up to and including a .50 cal MG by 18, but thats just me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2002 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#10]
The Mil-Spec is a great buy.  I have put over 800 rounds through mine without a hitch.  I love it.  Have a MilSpec Operator on the way.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 12:59:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have two Kimbers and love them both.  I have a Pro Carry SLE and a Custom Eclipse.  They have been utterly reliable and incredibly accurate.  If you have enough to get a Kimber Custom, I highly reccommend that route.  The Springfields are good guns, but they aren't made in USA and their frames feel a bit blockier to me than the Kimbers.  Congrats on whichever you choose.

I agree on the Kimber. I have the Classic Stainless and it has not had one single malf of any kind.  Not picky about ammo, well made and comes with all the perks of a much more expensive custom gun.

Can't recommend it enough!
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 1:06:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I would recommend saving up another $100 and buying the Loaded version instead.  The Loaded is the way all 1911's should come nowadays.  The old mil-spec version has features better left in the distant past.  Besides, you will probably end up making a few modifications to the Mil-spec soon enough anyway if you do very much shooting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top