Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2012 7:23:32 PM EDT
I bought an older (1992 production) Gen 2 Glock 17 with an unknown round count. It is not extracting all the time and cases get stuck in the chamber. A type 3 malfunction clearance takes care of the stuck casing but it happens a few times a mag.

I have never had a handgun so old/used that it required replacing any parts. Would I need to replace the extractor or extractor spring on my gun?
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you done a complete detail strip and cleaning of the gun, mainly the slide. Take the striker plate off, remove extractor and clean everything well, it's amazing how much crap can get in there over time. 20 years is a long time and most people don't clean their guns that well.

If it's still having problems, then yeah I would replace the extractor and ejector, they are cheap and easy to do. I would do the extractor spring as well.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]
If he replaces the extractor, are the old style non Loaded Chamber Indicator extractors still available?  If not, won't he have to replace his spring loaded bearing for one made for the new Loaded Chamber Indicator?
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]

After a detailed cleaning if it still doesn't extract, I'd contact Glock.  I believe they will repair the weapon for free.  

Glock is very good about that.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:21:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Good points. Forgot about actually calling Glock.

Yeah, I would still strip the slide completely and clean everything. If it still isn't running right call Glock and they will tell you what you need or they will give you what you need.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Just detail stripped the slide. It wasn't all that dirty. I think there's more to the problem than the gun not being clean.

ETA: Upon further inspection it turns out the extractor is broken. A replacement one is cheap but I'm really pissed at the guy who sold this to me because he told me the gun was perfect. I paid more than what I wanted to for the gun because he made some other promises which he hasn't kept.

Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
What ammo?
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What ammo?

Doesn't matter. If my 1911s will run steel case flawlessly, a Glock should.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What ammo?

Did not realize asking the ammo was violating double top secret.  Very well, carry on, as you were.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What ammo?

Did not realize asking the ammo was violating double top secret.  Very well, carry on, as you were.

Didn't mean to come off as abrasive. I just don't think ammo choice (factory fmj) really matters much in a Glock (for feeding/cycling). I used Wolf and Brown Bear.

Now here's a question I have. Gun shop rumor has it that steel cased ammo will destroy your extractor. While I have no idea what this gun was fed with, it makes me wonder if that's what caused it (over time). I have my doubts but you never know.
Link Posted: 7/29/2012 9:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What ammo?

Didn't mean to come off as abrasive. I just don't think ammo choice (factory fmj) really matters much in a Glock (for feeding/cycling). I used Wolf and Brown Bear.

Now here's a question I have. Gun shop rumor has it that steel cased ammo will destroy your extractor. While I have no idea what this gun was fed with, it makes me wonder if that's what caused it (over time). I have my doubts but you never know.

Even if it's true, you can pay for a new extractor from the cost savings on one case.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 4:17:32 AM EDT
[#11]
It usually isn't the case material that chips the extractors but dropping a round directly into the barrel and then closing the slide on it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 4:43:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Let us know how it runs with the new extractor.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Easy fix, enjoy  your gun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#14]
OP: I shot GSSF for many years (Glock only) and the 17 is generally regarded as the MOST reliable Glock made.  It should work - period.  Further, the pre-Gen 4s were all known for reliability.  

However, besides the obviously broken extractor, you should probably replace the other critical slide parts like the spring loaded bearing, since it is NOT expensive & will only add to the reliablilty.  Run the top end dry.

If you participate in a GSSF shoot, they usually have a Glock armorer on site who will repair a fault for free (though you still have to pay the entrance fee for the shoot).
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Can't remember the year cutoff but if the pistol was built early enough send it back to Glock and they'll replace a bunch of internals with newer and updated parts (extractor, etc).
Link Posted: 7/30/2012 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It usually isn't the case material that chips the extractors but dropping a round directly into the barrel and then closing the slide on it.

Bingo. I have had te replace a few damaged extractors on our department issued Glock 22's over the past several years due to this exact issue.

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you participate in a GSSF shoot, they usually have a Glock armorer on site who will repair a fault for free (though you still have to pay the entrance fee for the shoot).

This is what I'd recommend if cleaning it doesn't cure the problem, and I doubt it will.  I have a G22 that's absolutely filthy and has never missed a beat (approximately 1500 rounds since it was last field stripped and probably never detail stripped).

If you don't have any local GSSF shoots, call Glock.  They should be able to direct you to an armorer or, worst case scenario, give you the information to ship the pistol to them for repair.

Lastly, if you're even a little bit mechanically competent you should be able to replace the extractor yourself.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo. I have had te replace a few damaged extractors on our department issued Glock 22's over the past several years due to this exact issue.

x1000

This is even more important to note when using steel since its less forgiving than brass

Shooting it is fine, dropping the slide on a pre-loaded chamber is not

Link Posted: 8/1/2012 2:55:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I didn't want to deal with shipping or finding a Glock armorer. I ordered another extractor but I'm still not happy about how much money I'm putting into this gun because of the seller lying to me.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I didn't want to deal with shipping or finding a Glock armorer. I ordered another extractor but I'm still not happy about how much money I'm putting into this gun because of the seller lying to me.

Keep a list of parts needed in order to make the G17 reliable  again.and charge the seller
I would  also fix in time it took you to fix it right.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Was the price good?  If it was, just chalk it up to one of the things you have to go through to get a good deal.  

My G19 had a thousand rounds though it when I got it and the previous seller didn't bother to clean it before selling it to me.  But hey, for $400 with night sights and three mags I wasn't about to bitch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#22]
The price was OK. Not stellar for a Gen2 G17 IMO. $325 for the gun and I paid $16 for a new extractor. For not much more I could have found a used Gen3 or I could have waited for a used one to come through our store and get one for $250. My coworker just bought a LNIB Gen3 G19 for $250.

Oh well. I like the way the gun shoots and being a Gen2 without finger grooves is sort of cool. The Gen5 needs to be this frame with a light rail, RTF texture, and Gen4 sized.

I typically don't care if a gun is clean.
Link Posted: 8/1/2012 4:33:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The price was OK. Not stellar for a Gen2 G17 IMO. $325 for the gun and I paid $16 for a new extractor. For not much more I could have found a used Gen3 or I could have waited for a used one to come through our store and get one for $250. My coworker just bought a LNIB Gen3 G19 for $250.

Oh well. I like the way the gun shoots and being a Gen2 without finger grooves is sort of cool. The Gen5 needs to be this frame with a light rail, RTF texture, and Gen4 sized.

I typically don't care if a gun is clean.

Meh, $325 is a good price, especially considering how sought after Gen 2 pistols are for the finger groove-less frame.  

And yeah, I'm not a big stickler for cleanliness, but around the locking lug on the barrel were carbon deposits that weren't about to come off easy.  Wow it took a lot of scrubbing and scraping to get the carbon off.
Link Posted: 8/2/2012 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#24]
change your recoil spring and maybe your extractor spring and try a different magazine

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Its not this gun is it?
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 2:38:40 AM EDT
[#26]

That one looks like a gen 1 not a gen 2

Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:13:52 AM EDT
[#27]
^^^Yeah, that's gen1.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah I know but i dumped this a couple of years back after it choked on everything I put in it. I tried different mags ammo, and shooters and it couldn't get through a mag without some malfunction. I really wanted to like this gun too.  His SN is AZnoob so I was wondering if he picked up my used gun.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:50:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I know but i dumped this a couple of years back after it choked on everything I put in it. I tried different mags ammo, and shooters and it couldn't get through a mag without some malfunction. I really wanted to like this gun too.  His SN is AZnoob so I was wondering if he picked up my used gun.

Did you bother sending it back to Glock? If you did and they still couldn't get it running they almost certainly would have replaced it. I had a real piece of shit G27 that Glock got running back reliably. I still didn't trust my life with it though, so I sold it too. I informed the buyer 100% about the deal, and he hasn't came back to shoot me so I guess it's still performing 100%...
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't know a lot a bout glocks,but I am under the impression their customer service is really good.

Glock rebuilt a guy I know G22 after he kaboomed it with hand loads.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I don't know a lot a bout glocks,but I am under the impression their customer service is really good.

Glock rebuilt a guy I know G22 after he kaboomed it with hand loads.

They do have good CS. However, they make you pay for the shipping to them, even when the problem is an obvious manufacturers defect.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you bother sending it back to Glock? If you did and they still couldn't get it running they almost certainly would have replaced it. I had a real piece of shit G27 that Glock got running back reliably. I still didn't trust my life with it though, so I sold it too. I informed the buyer 100% about the deal, and he hasn't came back to shoot me so I guess it's still performing 100%...

I didn't bother I was able to sell it for what I paid. I just wish I would have held on to the mags.
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#33]
My son and I sent several gen 2 model 19s back to the factory for that problem.  After repair the malfunctions were fewer but not gone.  There was an article where one major city PD got rid of all their model 19s because of that problem.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 6:31:37 AM EDT
[#34]
I carried 3 Glocks to Glock last year.
1–– Gen 1  G17
2–– Gen 2 G23
3–– Gen 3  G27

Number 1 gun (17) rebuilt with updated parts and replaced all the non-dropfree mags with new drop frees

Number 2 gun (23) said had a bad frame and would replace at no charge. Will take about 2 weeks.
2 weeks to the day Fed-X delivered the 23 to my home.
I now have a Gen 2/3 G23

Number 3 (27) rebuilt the pistol

Rebuilt all the other mags for the 23 and 27

All at no cost to me. Do wish the 23 had matching numbers but not un-happy
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#35]
I fixed it with a new extractor I bought.

Now my Gen3 I just bought sends empty casings towards my forehead.
Link Posted: 8/13/2012 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Can't remember the year cutoff but if the pistol was built early enough send it back to Glock and they'll replace a bunch of internals with newer and updated parts (extractor, etc).

1st and 2nd Gen Glocks with 2 letter prefixes instead of three are eligible for the "upgrade". Just have your SN's ready when you call Glock so they can check to see if a previous owner had already sent it back to them. I just sent 4 Glocks back for this upgrade. Three Gen 1 G17's and an early Gen 2 G19. I was not experiencing any issues with them, but decided to send them back since Glock would basically rebuild them for free.

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's too bad you sold it. I would have sent it back to Glock and have them handle the problem. I have three just like it that have never had a malfunction. One of them was my main training gun that saw well over 10,000 rounds in classes and never malfunctioned once. Just to prove a point to another student who was shooting an HK, I did a 3000 round 3-day class without any cleaning or lubing. I didn't have a problem, but he didn't make it through the first day trying the same thing.

Link Posted: 8/13/2012 6:19:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1st and 2nd Gen Glocks with 2 letter prefixes instead of three are eligible for the "upgrade". Just have your SN's ready when you call Glock so they can check to see if a previous owner had already sent it back to them. I just sent 4 Glocks back for this upgrade. Three Gen 1 G17's and an early Gen 2 G19. I was not experiencing any issues with them, but decided to send them back since Glock would basically rebuild them for free.

Quoted:
Quoted:

That's too bad you sold it. I would have sent it back to Glock and have them handle the problem. I have three just like it that have never had a malfunction. One of them was my main training gun that saw well over 10,000 rounds in classes and never malfunctioned once. Just to prove a point to another student who was shooting an HK, I did a 3000 round 3-day class without any cleaning or lubing. I didn't have a problem, but he didn't make it through the first day trying the same thing.

I've got  a gen3 19 now. It feels better to me, less staple gunish if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 12:33:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What ammo?

A glock should be able to eat any ammo. Parts can fail over time in any firearm
other than the trigger the glock is the ultimate combat pistol and that can be improved with a lighter spring?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top