Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2002 4:41:39 PM EDT
I was camping in CO, lived there at the time, in the can with the pants down wearing an IWB-Small of the Back Kydex Holster. When I had finished, I was pulling up my pants and the belt twisted and the holster went vertical and the P99 caught some air time before it came crashing down on the wet (eeeewww) concrete floor. No dings except for the plastic front sight being a little dinged.

Link Posted: 4/15/2002 5:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Hehehe, must be a Colorado thing.
I once dropped a Smith Airweight out of my pocket while stopping for a piddle break at 2am while out jeeping on Mt Elbert.
Didn't notice it for about 5 miles.....when I did, PANIC!
We went back for it, hunting in the dark by landmarks, finally found the place where we had stopped the rigs, and then had to hunt in fields of sagebrush, by headlight illumination, for a *wet spot*, knowing the gun would be next to it.
Somehow, I *found it*!!!!!
Incredible, but true.

The other story is my own dumb fault, I had neglected to secure the velcro correctly on my side load concealed carry purse, and flipped it back behind me, hanging from the shoulder strap.
The Glock hit the carpeted floor, and all heads turned.
Luckily, this was in the ONE safe place for this to have happened.....a GUN SHOP.
A good giggle was had by all, and no harm done.
Sheeeeesh, I check my velcro every time I leave the house now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2002 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#2]
a warm sunny day was ballancing the webers on the vw, put the colt officers in the glove box, finished the project and was headed for the house, put the colt in the small of back, picked up the tools in hand, started for the door the colt slid down the back and wound up in my right boot. thank god for small favors.

Link Posted: 4/16/2002 8:28:16 AM EDT
[#3]
A very long time ago, upon entering a gunshop, my trusty Beretta Jaguar .22 decided to escape from the paper bag it was being held captive in. I cringed as it took a long time (to me) to hit the concrete. I very carefully picked it up (in case it was injured) to look it over. Fortunately there was no damage! It was an 8 shot model and I rewarded it by picking up a few 10 round magazines from the larger target model 76. It went on, in return, to live a long, reliable and accurate life of about 88,000 rounds. I still miss the little feline. [>Q]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never dropped any handgun, but a couple have jumped out on their own. ;)
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I threw my Glock 21 on a bet that I would not do it. No damage.
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 6:31:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I threw my Glock 21 on a bet that I would not do it. No damage.

Didja win?
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#7]
When I lived in north Idaho,I was getting out of my truck one day,in the back yard (lucky).My sig229 jumped out of it's in the pants rig,bounced off the running brd.,then sank in about 8" of snow.After a good cleaning and damage check,everything was fine...
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:31:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Striker, that WAS my first thought too. But I had to remember where I am. Do ya have a twisted sister?
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:05:28 AM EDT
[#10]
A couple years back I was about to get in the rack....during deer time so needless to say..I was tired.....dropped the bag on the floor...without much thought......then woke up enough to realize what just happened.....uh-oh....checked it out.....well smasheroonie to the cell phone.....629 ok though......no more calls I guess....glad there were no bullets in it.....(of course not)...normally....those two items would`nt be in there together....but as I said...long day.........
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I dropped my Glock 36 right after buying it and taking it home.  It was unloaded and I was practicing drawing it from a holster.  Caught it on my shirt and it went SLAM onto the floor!  My wife said "Chuck!"  And I said "don't worry, it's not hurt," to which she replied "I am not talking about your gun... I am talking about the hardwood floor!"  She was right... the heavily armored G36 had made quite a dent in the floor, but the gun itself was undamaged.  Damn, I love that Glock!

ARnSC          
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Put a good dent in the vinyl floor in the utility room when I dropped my Glock(unloaded)The safe-action worked!
I dropped my AR on my carpeted gun room floor last week with no damage, WHEW!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I did drop mine into the toilet. Had lil 22 in back pocket and when I stood up it caught on seat and went into toilet. LOL    SHIT HAPPENS
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Put a good dent in the vinyl floor in the utility room when I dropped my Glock(unloaded)The safe-action worked!
I dropped my AR on my carpeted gun room floor last week with no damage, WHEW!

Was it unloaded, but cocked? Just curious.

Thanks,

Jamie
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Can't say that I've dropped a firearm (yet), but this past month, I've knocked three 100 round boxes of ammo out of my safe.

I can say that 45, 308 and 22, when dropped from five feet to a concrete floor (hard enough to bust the plastic ammo boxes apart), do not detonate.

First time, with the 308, I almost wet myself.  Last time, I didn't even wince.
Link Posted: 4/21/2002 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Another Colorado story,

I had just taken my new 629 out to my private range in January and had it in front of me because I didn't have a rig for it, and I fell and plugged the barrel with granite.

My wife was pretty pised when she saw what I had done to the gun she had bought me for Christmas.

Actually I think the gun is suicidal, I had it in a new leather shoulder rig this weekend and it fell out twice.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#18]
It is long, but informative.....
Here is my "dropped piece" story.....

Last year, I attended the Advanced Concealed Carry class at the Sig Arms Academy in NH. One part of the class included scenarios using the Simunitions cartridges. One particular scenario had me playing an undercover cop on a subway in a major city. The scenario called for a mugger (armed only with a knife) to attempt to rob an armed (CCW holder) citizen. I was instucted to only intervene in the robbery if: a)the victim is hurt; or b)the victim produces a gun, in which I am to stop the victim and disarm him. I asked why couldn't I (the cop) just simply arrest the mugger on the spot. The reply was that usually in these situations, the police simply radio ahead and have the mugger picked up when he gets off the train (the instructor was a cop in real life). He went on to say that you really did not want to make a scene on a crowded train.......

Link Posted: 5/3/2002 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#19]
.....ok, back 2 the scenario: the mugger makes his move on John Q Citizen and sure enough, John Q whips out his Gat. As soon as he does, I shout "freeze, police (while showing a badge)...put the gun down!!" At this point, the mugger dissapears to the back of the subway car and John Q slowly lowers his gun and places it on the ground. Now, the instructor stops the scenario. He tells me that I should tell the person to DROP the gun and if they do anything other than DROP the gun, I am to shoot him. To illustrate this, he had me point my gun towards the reactive targets in the room. He then stood about three feet away from me with a pistol. He turned his body 90 degrees away from the targets. He said that as soon as I see him move (he was going to turn towards the targets and fire), I am to fire at the targets. Remember, I am facing the targets, he is turned 90 degrees to the right of them (and must turn 90 degrees to fire). Well, he started to turn and I fired. Guess what folks, he shot almost exactly at the same time as I did. This is due to the mental action/reaction process of the brain. Anyway, he said that almost universally, if your lucky, you'll get off a shot at the same time as the bad guy. So...he did all this to explain that cops are trained so that if they instruct someone to DROP the gun and the person starts to PUT the gun down, the cop should shoot. The instructor tells me that next time, if I say DROP the gun and the person starts to lower the gun, open fire.
So, we run the scenario again, this time another student (who is in an isolation room while others run the scenario.....and therefore oblivious to the reaction time demonstration and so forth) plays John Q. The scenario goes down exactly as before, however, I YELL at John Q to DROP THE GUN!!! John Q looks at me and I yell it again with emphasis on the word DROP. At this point John Q starts lowering the pistol and I shoot him about six times (At a range of about 5 feet with Simunitions cartridges). John Q. has this look of shock, bewilderment, and pain...(That BASTARD, He SHOT ME!!!, Why did he shoot me!!, Oh S*!T this hurts!!) At this point the instructor steps in and informs the student that I was under instructions to shoot him if he did not comply with my orders. The student said he put the gun down; the instructor asked him to repeat what I had yelled at him, the student said he was told to drop the gun, but did not think to actually drop the weapon. The instructor said that if you own a firearm, take it somewhere and drop it on the ground and get over the angst of dropping your beloved firearms on the ground. He said most folks cringe at the though of dropping their pistol or whatever on the ground, therefore they have a mindset that interferes with the concept of actually dropping a gun onto the ground. He then picked up the pistol (it was one of Sig's Simunition barreled pistols) and started to drop it on the concrete a couple of times to make a point......
The lesson learned from this:

If a cop says DROP the gun, you had better DROP the gun.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Elmer, who was this lesson for, you or the guy with the CCW?
I hope it was for his benefit, because I would hate for our police to be taught that the target of a mugging who is trying to defend himself is to be disarmed and shot if he doesn't respond quickly enough, while the mugger is to be ignored.
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Well...One time at Band Camp...
I haven't dropped one, yet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2002 1:34:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 4:54:23 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Elmer, who was this lesson for, you or the guy with the CCW?
I hope it was for his benefit, because I would hate for our police to be taught that the target of a mugging who is trying to defend himself is to be disarmed and shot if he doesn't respond quickly enough, while the mugger is to be ignored.

The lesson was for all of us participating in the scenario. Yes, on the surface it appears that the real BG is getting away. However, let's face it, as a CCW holder, there is a real chance that you will be confronted by a LEO during or immediately after an armed/lethal force encounter whilst your gun is  still in your hand. The LEO sees a person with a gun, he does not see your CCW permit, your Eagle Scout Badge, good citizenship awards, etc.... (all LEO's please chime in here). His first thought is safety (his), that means disarming whoever is wielding a gun. Thus, the lesson about DROPPING the gun when told to do so. The LEO will get your story after the situation is under control. Some cops will merely tell you to put away/holster your weapon, some will tell you to drop the gun. If you encounter the one that says drop the gun, you'd better do exactly what he sez....
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 6:42:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I think if I really HAD to "drop a gun", it would be on a soft shoe or another LZ other than concrete, if so ordered.
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#25]
I dropped mines intentionally. It is a Glock 21 and I did it on a dare. My friend did not believe I was going thru my torture test of my pistol. He guessed wrong.
Link Posted: 5/10/2002 1:16:40 PM EDT
[#26]
So when I intentionally, at the behest of a cop, am ordered to drop my gun; it going off (1 in 1000000) and killing the little girl, am I criminally responsible?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top