Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2012 7:21:39 PM EDT
Then why do i feel so bad when i scratch them? I have recently  started carrying because the laws in my state have changed so i have started carrying the guns i already own. i only bought one gun just for carry that i don't mind what happens to it it was cheap enough that i don't mind getting holster wear on it. but my other gun carry's better but I'm starting to get freaky about seeing very early signs of holster wear and i noticed a scratch so can someone enplane to me if guns are tools why am i worried about wear. I don't have problems shooting the hell out of the gun but there is something about holster and scratching my guns?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't worry about it man.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:43:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Most all of my pistols are Glocks and not a spendy pistol so ware is not a huge deal. Scratches are part of life. My hands get torn up more than the gun does. So when the gun gets one, I just think of it as doing work and part of life as a carry pistol.

Leave guns you don't want to end up looking used in the safe.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
its a 220 dark elite that i'm talking about wear getting on it. its a sweet pistol and it carry's super well it dosnt print and if i could afford it i would buy a normal one and get the same grips and carry that one but i cant afford it.  I just started this thread mainly as a discussion about this topic
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Because you care for and respect your tools is all. Nothing wrong with that. I take care of all my tools be it a screwdriver or firearm.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
When you use a tool it usually starts to get wear marks on it, just a part of using it. Do you buy a chainsaw to hang on the wall, or do you buy it to cut down trees? There is difference between use, and abuse.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Because you care for and respect your tools is all. Nothing wrong with that. I take care of all my tools be it a screwdriver or firearm.
I don't tend to be a Snap-On kinda guy, but I'd think a man was a little nutty if he threw his Snap-On torque wrench down the driveway just to prove how tough it was.....

I wipe my tools off before I put them away, even if they are chrome plated.

Nothing was ever improved by abusing the it.  No matter what my Ex said about sex.

Normal wear from use?

Fuggedabout it.

I don't get extra points for being buried with all new possessions.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:55:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Honest wear from use makes it look better, not worse.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:20:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Get yourself a can of G96 Gun Treatment spray and treat your guns with it regularly.

It will preserve the finish so well, even on your carry guns, that people will not believe they aren't almost NIB.

I have been using the stuff for several decades and it works extremely well.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Then why do i feel so bad when i scratch them? I have recently  started carrying because the laws in my state have changed so i have started carrying the guns i already own. i only bought one gun just for carry that i don't mind what happens to it it was cheap enough that i don't mind getting holster wear on it. but my other gun carry's better but I'm starting to get freaky about seeing very early signs of holster wear and i noticed a scratch so can someone enplane to me if guns are tools why am i worried about wear. I don't have problems shooting the hell out of the gun but there is something about holster and scratching my guns?

You feel bad because you "treasure" them like a girl does and not a man.

Girls are about looks and men are about function.

$800 HK USP 9

$850 TR24G trijicon scope, you can see where the scope has shifted forward because I didn't tighten the rings tight enough.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:48:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the cure for you.  Start competing in 3-gun or another action shooting sport.  Once you start beating the hell out of your guns every weekend, you quit worrying about what they look like.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 4:40:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Of course, if your holster is putting scratch marks on your pistol, may want to consider a better holster. It's one thing to get wear from thousands of draws, another to see wear from a few hundred.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:02:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I like good honest wear.

Just buy pre-scratched guns, or scratch them on purpose to get it over with, and get on with your life.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:44:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Of course, if your holster is putting scratch marks on your pistol, may want to consider a better holster. It's one thing to get wear from thousands of draws, another to see wear from a few hundred.

well i have a kydex leather holster and i notice that on the leather side it seems like it is getting shinier  on that side like almost like its getting polished up. its extremely early. i dont think i will stop carrying it. but i was board and thought this would make an interesting topic
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:11:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well i have a kydex leather holster and i notice that on the leather side it seems like it is getting shinier  on that side like almost like its getting polished up. its extremely early. i dont think i will stop carrying it. but i was board and thought this would make an interesting topic

Use a leather conditioner regularly on the leather portion of the holster and treat your guns with the G 96; the difference will amaze you.

Also, wipe the inside of your hipster with a rag, accumulated grit will accelerate holster wear and even scratch a gun's  finish.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Also, wipe the inside of your hipster with a rag, accumulated grit will accelerate holster wear and even scratch a gun's  finish.

Eeeww....

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:30:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
its a 220 dark elite that i'm talking about wear getting on it. its a sweet pistol and it carry's super well it dosnt print and if i could afford it i would buy a normal one and get the same grips and carry that one but i cant afford it.  I just started this thread mainly as a discussion about this topic

I feel bad for a bit myself, but in the end, it is another tool.  I have other woodworking/metalworking tools that cost more and stay far more dirty....
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:31:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get yourself a can of G96 Gun Treatment spray and treat your guns with it regularly.

It will preserve the finish so well, even on your carry guns, that people will not believe they aren't almost NIB.

I have been using the stuff for several decades and it works extremely well.

G96 doubles as cologne to boot.  I love the smell of that stuff (and so does my wife - and no horn dogs, my wife's pics will never be posted)....
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 8:26:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Its gunna happen. Just get over it

I like the worn look. I hate it when I see someone talking about how much they train with x weapon. And then I see the weapon and there is not a scratch on it. You can tell who actually uses their guns by what they look like

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't have any issue with wear caused by USE, like holster wear. What does bother me is wear from ABUSE. Just cause it's a "tool", doesn't mean you shouldn't take care of it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#20]
I like the wear. It means I use it. I hate new stuff, I prefer used things because once there's a scratch I can relax. I love having a car I'm willing to ding up if someone wants to trade paint and having a gun I'm not afraid to roll around on the ground with and holster with sand and dirt on it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Its gunna happen. Just get over it

I like the worn look. I hate it when I see someone talking about how much they train with x weapon. And then I see the weapon and there is not a scratch on it. You can tell who actually uses their guns by what they look like

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/IMG_0989.jpg

X2

The same can be said of holsters. It seems like every time there's a thread started about people's "daily" carry rigs, I see nothing but spotless holsters. I carry every day (even when working on the yard, crawling under my truck, camping, etc.), and my guns and holsters reflect that.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 10:20:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why did you buy the gun? To shoot and carry? Then shoot and carry it. What happens, happens.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 11:26:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a Glock 19 that I bought in '95, worn as hell and I love it.  It just looks right.  On the other hand I bought a Beretta 92FS and the thought of it getting all dinging up really bugged me for some reason.  I sold it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#24]
LULZ

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#26]

My Kimber is 10-12 years old now and the finish is wearing off and has been for sometime. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]

That actually doesn't look as bad as I was expecting it to, after what it went through.  A little CLP and I think you're back in business.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#28]

I had some generous offers from a couple members on the board to take care of that for me but I decided to just clean it up and leave it in the original stainless.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I had some generous offers from a couple members on the board to take care of that for me but I decided to just clean it up and leave it in the original stainless.  

Is that blood on it? What's the story behind this?

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

That actually doesn't look as bad as I was expecting it to, after what it went through.  A little CLP and I think you're back in business.

It cleaned up pretty darn well actually.  I used plenty of CLP, disassembled, ran it through my sonic cleaner several times with ballistol oil and then hit with CLP again.  Just has some character marks now.  I need to get some current pics so you can see how the stainless actually held up to having the blood on it that long.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here toy go!!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here toy go!!!!

Ah, yes I remember this.

Yes, glad you're still with us.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:16:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Blood

Blood rusts guns like nothing else.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#37]
This is one reason I have gotten where I prefer buying slightly used guns over new. I save a few bucks and that first scratch/slight wear is already done and I don't have to worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eeeww....

Auto correct just doesn't seem to  like the word "holster".

Carried in a horsehide Super Tuck for just over 4 years, everyday, in the Florida heat and humidity; and I spend a lot of time outdoors hiking and fishing all year long.

High round count too.

Almost an entire year of everyday carry , also in a horsehide Super Tuck, moderately high round count; G 96 works.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here toy go!!!!

Ah, yes I remember this.

Yes, glad you're still with us.

Wow, scary story. Glad you made it out ok.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:44:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks guys.

OP, sorry for the hijack.  My real answer to your question, is that at one time, I too was very concerned about trying to keep all my firearms in like new condition.  I'd curse and cringe when I put that first scratch or blemish on the finish.  Now, not so much, I just try to keep them in good working order so they're ready when I need them.

Good on you for carrying and I hope you never need to use it.  

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

OP, sorry for the hijack.  My real answer to your question, is that at one time, I too was very concerned about trying to keep all my firearms in like new condition.  I'd curse and cringe when I put that first scratch or blemish on the finish.  Now, not so much, I just try to keep them in good working order so they're ready when I need them.

Good on you for carrying and I hope you never need to use it.  

No problem for the hijack. i would like to see the gun now. how long did it take you to get your gun back?

as far as using it i hope i never need but its like a seat belt never been in a crash but i always wear it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The old girl has done her job, I'd clean her up and give her a nice comfy place in the safe.

Link Posted: 6/19/2012 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#43]
you talk like a fag and your shits all retarded

j/k
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The old girl has done her job, I'd clean her up and give her a nice comfy place in the safe.  

I'd probably be considering that, too.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:25:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Pretty is NOT a firearm function.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:55:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder beholder.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd probably be considering that, too.

No way I'd retire an honored partner like that. Good cleaning, test the function, and put'er back on your hip. Let'er go back to doing her job, just like you hired her for.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This.

And if a scratch or something is cosmetic only, and does not in any way effect function, I couldn't care less.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I like good honest wear.

Just buy pre-scratched guns, or scratch them on purpose to get it over with, and get on with your life.

I find myself doin this.  Just get the first scratch over with and then it's a tool.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Guns are tools.  In todays society they are not used as tools as much as recreational hobbies, and that is why people are so concerned with outward appearance.  If you "needed" to use it daily as a tool not a hobby, it would be much more beat up and you wouldnt give a fuck as long as it worked.  You think a ww2 soldier gave a fuck about a scuff on his rifle? I would guess it was the last of his worries, pry even took pride in the "thrown down the driveway look".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top