Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2012 3:15:27 PM EDT
I'm a righty, and I tend to pull a little left.  It's pretty regular 1"-2" in close and 5" - 6" at 25 yards.  It doesn't really matter what pistol I use...Glock, HK, 1911, etc.  I understand that I'm doing this because of weakness in my trigger pull / hold.  I'm relatively new to shooting pistols, but for those of you that do the same do you....

1.  Live with the fact that that's how you shoot and hold right one sight post width  OR
2.  Overcome and eliminate the slight pull to the left through practice

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd go with Option 2.

I'm certainly no pistoleer by any stretch of the imagination, and hopefully the more skilled guys will chime in and help you out.

I'd suggest lots, and lots, and lots of dryfire.  In the past, when I've debugged various trigger problems or flinches, I've learned to like the training lasers.  Slides in the chamber, sort of like a laser boresight, and whenever the striker/hammer hits the "primer" on the back...it shoots out a laser.  I got one for Christmas from my wife in .45 ACP and I love it.  I feel that I get more from my dryfire training with it.

You can pick a light switch, or spot on the wall, and if you see that laser appear as just a dot...great.  But if that dot jerks or makes a line on the wall instead of just a dot...then you're seeing your trigger problem or a flinch.  It makes dryfire training kind of fun as well

I believe they also make a LaserLyte Training Target for it, but I don't have one of those.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Change where your fingertip pulls the trigger. I would play with grip and trigger finger, not adjust to the right.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
you're pulling across the trigger to the right & it torques the barrel to the left.

practice pulling straight back with the pad on the trigger, not the joint.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#4]
shoot every day and try to do better
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 5:16:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#6]
you also may be tightening your grip as you activate the trigger. how tight are your groups? if you are shooting a 3 inch 25 yard group than I'd say adjust the sight. if your group is not tight  then trigger control practice is the key.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Change where your fingertip pulls the trigger. I would play with grip and trigger finger, not adjust to the right.

This.

Adjust and experiment with your grip and trigger finger placement.

This is what fixed my problem shooting left
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]
As others have said, your finger's position on the trigger could be causing you to shoot to the left. Another cause for right handed shooters is griping the grip too tightly. On a right handed shooter this causes the front sight to move to the left. A third condition is the Glock trigger. For shooters who aren't used to it, it's very easy for a right handed shooter to group to the left.

Try some dry fire. If you're going to start dry firing to the tune of 500 'shots' per week, get some snap caps. Limited dry firing will not hurt your pistol. Watch where the front sight goes as you break the shot. I'm guessing it moving left right at the point of the break.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I appreciate the advice guys.  It would bug me to have to hold right.  I'll keep at it and improve.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Pay close attention to the sights, if you are pushing shots left you should be able to see it in the sights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top