Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/5/2012 7:24:57 PM EDT
I was reading in a copy of Combat Handguns from 1992 that I had bought because it had an article about the Browning BDM pistol in it.  The article noted that the pistol had just been introduced at the Shot Show that year and they wanted to review it, so in order to expedite the review for the magazine, Novak flew out to Colorado with his personal BDM, serial number 43.

For those not familiar with it, the BDM has some sights that I described as "early American Novaks sights," but I was just kidding.  The fact that Novak himself seems to have taken an interest in the pistol is interesting.  I don't know anything about the history of Wayne Novak or when he developed his trademark pistol sights.

Does anybody know when Novak first marketed those sights?

Is it possible the Browning BDM sights might have been, if not an inspiration, certainly a validation of a design for a triangular, no-snag pistol sight for Wayne Novak?

The Browning BDM sight:

Another thread about the Browning BDM 9mm pistol

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I think earlier than that off the top of my head from vague catalog recollections.  These were the days when you ordered out of a magazine sized catalog for custom 1911 parts and not at an online site.  

I just tossed a bunch of old catalogs I found in a drawer from the late 80's early 90's.  

Lots of Heinie, Wilson, Kings parts.

BTW I love the BDM rear and despise the stair stepped front sight as I find the short nub on the pedestal distracting.  Still the thinnest gun I own and goes perfect with a Kramer IWB#3.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:51:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Wayne's also the guy responsible for 3rd gen s&w's. Fwiw.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I never was much for the BDM. Seemed like a fix looking for a problem.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:48:29 AM EDT
[#4]
his sights were ubiquitous on 3rd gen S&W autos before the BDM came out IIRC  

email him and ask him.  I think you'll find more heritage with the S&W ASP / Devel custom compact autos than anything else.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Novak Lo-mount sights were available for the 1911 and Browning Hi-Power in the early 80s.  Novak's shop modified around 250 Hi-Powers for use by the FBI's Hostage Rescue Team starting in 1986 until they switched to Para-Ord framed Les Baer 1911s in the early 90s. These were equipped with lo-mount tritium sights.  Wayne Novak is acknowledged as a master Browning Hi-Power gunsmith and had contacts in the company. The sights on the BDM bear only a passing resemblance to Novak's lo-mount sight, having a slightly similar wedge shaped profile.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:30:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Brilliant, Lumpy. GREAT info.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
email him and ask him.

I hope I don't remember this correctly, but wasn't Novak killed in an accident or something similar?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
email him and ask him.

I hope I don't remember this correctly, but wasn't Novak killed in an accident or something similar?

You may be thinking of Norbert Korzeniewski, who owned Bo-Mar.   Or possibly Joe Bonar, who worked at Novak's and was killed about 10 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top