Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2012 4:01:31 PM EDT
I was going to pick up a gen 4 g17, but I've heard all this love for the M&P9.

I have had several g17s over the years, but I'm one to try out new things. I got to finger a m&p this weekend and I liked it, the trigger wasn't an issue and I'd get an apex upgrade for it.

So, is a full size easy to carry with a good RCS or SCW holster? I DO NOT like compact guns and keep my g19 around for the hell of it ( I'm not a fan, but am keeping it for my fiancee. I prefer FS frame in glocks).

I'm really intrigued by the m&p and it would be 460ish out the door.

Thoughts?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]
With a SCW K-25 holster the M&P really disappears. Keep in mind its meant to be worn at the 4:00 position with a 25 degree cant.

If you do go with Apex, get the sear AND the ram. The ram really helps with the positive click on the reset.

Here's a video of the SCW holster is use, with practice, the holster is wicked fast

Video
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an M&P 9L that I bought for 3 gun but I do occasionally carry it OWB in an Uncle Mike's kydex holster.  It was an el cheapo holster but works really well for me.  That particular gun just has too long of a barrel to carry, but other than that it conceals well.  Unless I'm wearing a long coat the tip of the barrel tends to poke out from under my shirt.  A standard length or compact M&P would make a great carry gun though.

I have the Apex sear and it turned a so-so trigger into a fantastic trigger.  The reset is pretty faint, though, so I need to add the RAM.

I think the biggest thing with carrying concealed is your body type.  If you have a narrow waist and fairly wide shoulders you can conceal just about anything.  If you're more "pear" shaped you're going to have more trouble concealing a lot of guns.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I carry a 1911 iwb in a raven and only have printing issues when wearing a t shirt or polo.

Just wanting a polymer full size gun in 9mm.  I think ill go with the m&p.

How is the corrosion resistance of the slide? I can be sweaty in the summertime.

Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry my 4'' M&P9 Pro in a NTAC holster with a streamlight TLR1s at the 4 oclock with no issuse.  I'm 6'0'' 180lbs for reference.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMAG0569.jpg

I have 5 M&Ps total.  The slide finish is as durable as any gun I've ever owned.   I don't see wear on any of mine...
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 6:50:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry a full size m&p 9. I didn't like the ergos of glocks and the m&p is slimmer. Ive been carrying it for about 6 months and no corrosion issues so far. I will also second the apex kit. Can't comment on any holster but crossbreed IWB which have worked great for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Corrosion resistance should be good. I carried one in East Texas for a few years, so it alternated between soaking in sweat and rain with no issues.

I slightly prefer my stock gen 4 g17 to my (now sold) M&P9fs with apex DCAEK, but I still love M&Ps. When I have the money to build my ultimate carry gun (RDS milled in slide, probably a laser) a M&P9 with thumb safety and FSS is high on the list.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Understand you want a full size, but you might try the M&P 9c before you buy if your primary application will be a CCW.  Try it with the finger grip 12 rd magazine.  It doesn't feel like a G19.  Also you can get an Xfire extender that fills the gap when you insert a 17 rd magazine in the compact.  This gives you a full size grip when you want it.  You still won't get the sight radius of a full size but you can get well designed laser grips to augment sighting if you so choose.  The 9c is a very comfortable all day carry pistol in a good IWB rig.
Link Posted: 1/1/2012 11:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry the "regular" size M&P with no issues at all.  It disappears on me and half the time I don't know it's there.   It's closer to a G19 in size than a G17.   I also shoot it much better than any Glock I owned.

I once had a light bit of rust on the slide after a sweaty day and humid environment, but it disappeared with application of some oil.   I understand this was an intermittent issue with the early ones but I hear it's fixed now.   At any rate, unless it suffers some pretty egregious abuse or neglect, you shouldn't have a problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:36:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys for all the input.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

I carry a 1911 iwb in a raven and only have printing issues when wearing a t shirt or polo.

If the slim 1911 is a problem, the thick M&P grip will be a bigger problem. I have both and say this from my experience. The M&P 9c does completely dissappear as well as a Commander 1911 though.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Understand you want a full size, but you might try the M&P 9c before you buy if your primary application will be a CCW.  Try it with the finger grip 12 rd magazine.  It doesn't feel like a G19.  Also you can get an Xfire extender that fills the gap when you insert a 17 rd magazine in the compact.  This gives you a full size grip when you want it.  You still won't get the sight radius of a full size but you can get well designed laser grips to augment sighting if you so choose.  The 9c is a very comfortable all day carry pistol in a good IWB rig.

My M&P 9c is the only thing I like CCW better than my G19.  Best 9/40 CCW gun for me
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 1:56:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I carried a mp 9 everyday for a year.  Great gun easy carry
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I carry an M&P40c in a Milt Sparks SSII holster and a Beltman bullhide belt. It completely disappears under a Polo. Underneath a T-shirt, it is distorted enough to look like a cell phone and I never get questioned or looks for it. I sweat and I live in Georgia. In the two years of carrying it there is not a spec of rust on it. I love that M&P has tamed the recoil of the .40 down to a 9+p. In my opinion, its the perfect CCW with 10+1 capacity. My trigger didn't need the Apex parts like my Mid-size did so thats another plus.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Ive been carrying my MP9c with the xgrip and full size magazine everyday. I switched from the full size magazine to the smaller magazine with the Arredondo extension. The Arredondo actually seems to conceal better then the Xgrip with the full size magazine. I carry it with a MTAC holster. My typical attire is jeans with a button down shirt and an undershirt. Works very well. I get away with this at work (an office environment). Let me know if you would like any pictures of the setup.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:48:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Thumbs up for the M&P 9c, I carry one with Galco IWB and like it for winter carry. I go with a different option for summer carry though, it gets hot as hell here so we don't wear much clothes... lol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I carry an M&Pc in a DeSantis Intruder holster and it works great.

I don't know what it is about the M&P line but I can shoot them much better than I can any Glock.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry a M&P9 in a Simply Rugged Cuda (pancake) OWB all the time.  I also have a hybrid IWB holster for if I feel I should be concerned about making sure I'm 100% concealed.  I'd say the full size is quite easy to CC.  I will be purchasing a compact at some point in the future though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#18]
i carry the M&P 9 in a desanti owb speed scabbard and have very little issue printing however i recently picked up a M&Pc for a lighter option. Apex trigger makes whole new pistol out of the M&Ps
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top