Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/22/2004 8:46:41 AM EDT
I am seriously considering buying one...I need input.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Sig Trailside with a 4.5" barrel.  It does not have adjustable sights.  I bought it used but in excellent condition (for less than 300 bucks).  I love anything Hammerli, and frankly this one is a great deal.  There are a few provisos, however.  It is ammunition sensitive.  You will have to experiment with the type of ammo that works best in your pistol.  Mine doesn't like to cycle Federal 711Bs, for instance-it needs something hotter.  No big deal, but don't be frustrated with it- try different kinds of ammo.  There are at least two generations of magazines out there.  It has been a while since I examined them, but I remember something about there being a slit up at the top of the magazine that signified the newer style(?).

If you are looking at a new one then ignore this.  Now to particulars.  Excellent accuracy and trigger pull.  What a trigger pull should be!  Crisp and light.  Larry's Guns in Maine even works on Trailsides if you want to improve on it.    

As I mentioned my Trailside had fixed sights and this was a problem.  It has been said that there are different height rear sights available in order to sight the pistol in but don't believe them.  The factory said this but they don't exist.  The problem is the rear sight is made of plastic, and it got knocked loose- you can move it with your fingers!  Larry's guns sells adjustable units.  They are made by LPA of Italy.  If you get the adjustable sight version from the factory this is a non issue.  When I installed the adjustable sight it hung about 3/8" off the back of the rear of the slide.  The dovetail fit without a problem, but cosmetically it looks like hell.  Still, I love the accuracy of it.

I use my Trailside as a trail gun (imagine that!) and it is great for it.  Unfortunately, there are a few more flies in the ointment to describe.  The grips are honking big for their purpose.  They fit, sure, but this little gem screams for some nice slim walnut, not goofy ass plastic.  I haven't found a source for this, and believe me I have tried, so it is time to make it myself.

If you wish to compete with the pistol, well, I think there may be better choices out there.  The reason I say this is small details.  You can get Nill grips for the Trailside, but the front sight is integral with the barrel.  This limits you and frankly when it comes to competition I want options.  Consider a Pardini instead if competition is your game.  A used Pardini won't break the bank and they deliver.  

Back to the mags- they are easy to load.  Yes.  Easy to load.  I wish I could say that about every other .22 autoloader I have ever had.  Small details like that add up in my mind.  I like where the mag release is.  Like the 1911, in other words, where it BELONGS.  The slide release works and it is easy to operate too.  

All in all, I like it a lot.

Hope this helps a bit,
Cheese
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow...that helps alot.

I am just looking at one for plinking, maybe a little small game hunting, etc...no competition. I am thinking about either the 4.5" or 6" with adjustable sights. I am not afraid of the ammo issue, it seems like all 22s need to find what they like best. as long as it functions real good with the brand it likes...does that make sense?

They mags are expensive, but I would just buy a couple and never buy more, so that's not the end of the world. I thought I saw that the mags are plastic...is that true? If so, do you think there would be an issue with feed lips wearing out? That is what I always think of when I see a plastic 22 mag. I had an old Ramline Exactor with plastic mags and the lips wore out.

Thanks a bunch for all your help.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Howdy,

Yep, I had one of those crappy Ramline mags too- it was for my crappy Ruger Mark II!  If you have or had a Ruger Mark II you will shocked with how easy the Sig detail strips.  It is what it is supposed to be- easy.  I still bear mental scars from my first experience with taking apart the Ruger Mark II and trying to get it back together.  AGHHHHHH.

The Sig mags are plastic, but I would guess they are nylon- mine seem pretty wear resistant.  I haven't noticed any issues, and I have shot mine quite a bit.  They aren't crappy plastic, if that makes sense.  

Larry's guns offers reasonable prices on Trailside mags if you bite the bullet.  

I like the size of the 4.5" barrel, but the American Rifleman review I read showed the 6" barrel as being consistantly more accurate.  The pistols come with test targets- they are in the box and look like a little round "medal" on a string.  Check it out if you buy the gun new at a shop and can inspect it.  They will shoot!  

Best of luck,
Cheese
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, one more thing.  No dry firing the Trailside without a snap cap.  It will damage the pistol.  The firing pin can contact the breech face.  The gun comes with a little red chamber plug that allows you to dry fire it.  

Just so you have the facts.  

Mine shoots Winchester Wildcats (cheapass all the way!) well.  Go figure.

Best,
Cheese

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I looked at the sig and decided on a Browning buckmark over it.  I got the slabside standard model.

Mine came with a solid front sight, not the glowing one.  

I handled it for I dont know how long before choosing it over the ruger and the sig.  It has large flat controls that are all in the same place as a 1911.  Its got a propper mag release and isnt ammo sensitive at all.  (winchester just dirtys it up more)  The mags are reasonably priced and only have a plastic floor plate protector.  The rest of them are nice metal.  Its the most accurate pistol I have right now but thats not saying much since theres no recoil and it has a huge barrel.  Its very easy to field strip and only takes about 5 minutes to clean with a brush.  Its definately a lot of bang for the buck.  

I shoot everything in it from winchester to aguila to elay.  CCI quickshocks are a death warrent for squirrels and snakes.  

I'm not bashing the Sig, I just feel the buckmark is a superior pistol.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 6:14:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a SIG Trailside I wouldn't trade for ANY 2-Buckmarks. It is VERY accurate right out of the box and mine is very reliable. I got the adjustable sight version, and haven't needed to touch the adjustment screws. I;ve shot the Stainless target version of the Ruger .22, S&W 422 and the Buckmark and I also own a Ruger Single Six (.22LR/.22 Mag) Of all of them I wouldn't trade ANY of them for my Trailside!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top