Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2002 12:39:02 PM EDT
Some folks can get really creative when they can't find a replacement for a broken part, or are out in the field with only their Leatherman.

The craziest thing I ever did was to make a firing pin for a Davis .380 out of a piece of steel rod, using a hand drill and a file.  Hey, I was really bored, and didn't mind a challenge.  If only I'd known how to heat-treat it.  Then again, I guess if the owner hadn't been firing 9mm Luger out of it, he wouldn't have broken his original firing pin.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Lost a P-38 front sight years ago (all my stories are years ago) and made one from memory out of key stock and a file. Took 3 days to finalize it, it worked. Had an early Dan Wesson revolver and a later model barrel that wouldnt fit/work because the design was totally changed. Fabricated up an adaptor plate to mate the new bbl. to the old frame. It worked too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2002 11:06:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Not really a repair but a modification of sorts. I wanted to put a magazine extension on my Remington 870 Express and found out about... "the dimple." Later I was messing around in the garage when a light bulb went on over my head. I found a Craftsman socket that fit in the mag tube perfectly. So I hammered it in there and backed it out with a ratchet several times. The dimple was pushed out almost all the way and the rest was smoothed out with a Dremel tool. Bingo! A smooth magazine tube and I didn't have to drill a hole in it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 11:18:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently disassembled my Kahr K40 and was having a hell of a time trying to get the trigger assembly back in.  It seems to require four hands at minimum.  I finally decided there wasn't any way to get it back together without some sort of slave pin, so I took a similar-sized nail and used the ol' bench grinder to take it down the proper size.  I Dremeled it to the right length and it worked fine.

After going through that mess it occurred to me that it might be a whole lot faster to just buy the cheapest, biggest Chinese drill bit set I could find.  Then I could just pick a close-fitting drill shank, and hack off the cutting end with a Dremel.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 4:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
This would fit into "tricks & tips" department...having had a few guns with loose plastic grips, a hot needle applied in the right spots will build up the undersized area. The latest was a P-89 with loose grips. Applied hot needle to the area around where the screw head tightens and now they are snug. Also...using a tiny "o" ring on most any grip screw will allow you to "stop" the slot in any position and will keep screws from loosening up. (you knew that)
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Used a finish nail to put the link back on the barrel of a colt Series 70. Was in the field and found the nail in  my truck. worked fine until I could replace it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 1:17:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Craziest gun repair you've ever attempted?

I am not crazy enough to post it here

Tyler

Okay... then let's hear about the craziest repair that friends of yours (wink nudge) have tried.
Link Posted: 4/4/2002 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not really a repair but a modification of sorts. I wanted to put a magazine extension on my Remington 870 Express and found out about... "the dimple." Later I was messing around in the garage when a light bulb went on over my head. I found a Craftsman socket that fit in the mag tube perfectly. So I hammered it in there and backed it out with a ratchet several times. The dimple was pushed out almost all the way and the rest was smoothed out with a Dremel tool. Bingo! A smooth magazine tube and I didn't have to drill a hole in it.

I did the same thing myself years ago, couldn't ever get the magazine cap back on or the extended tube...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top