Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 7:43:07 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#1]
FWIW, I don't carry (not old enough) but its foolish to carry several different types of handguns. If they are three sizes of Glock, not too big a deal, but if you have a combination of DA, SA, DA/SA and revolvers, you may have problems operating the controls and trigger properly under stress.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If I'm going out at night I take my 1911 with the light rail.  If I'm going some place where CC might not be appreciated I take a pocket .380 1911.  I have a glock .22 now so that can be my generic carry.  I have a P99 thats easy to squeeze in on the sly.  I train enough with all of them that disabling safetys is not an issue.  All are sufficient for my protection and I can hit multiple tangos at any reasonable engagment range feasible for protective action.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.  The more clothes I can wear (colder it is outside) the bigger piece I carry.

P11 9mm
commander 1911
Witness 10mm

in that order
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been carrying my P7, its small and works, I might go back to the 1911 come Winter
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:20:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry my Wilson CQB everywhere.  I do have a P32 that I keep for the RARE occasion where I just CAN'T pack the .45 on me, but a lot of the time I just wind up putting the CQB in an easily-accessible compartment of my laptop case or something.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I always sucked it up in the heat and went ahead carrying my full sized 1911. The discomfort was catching up with me this summer, so I decided to look into an alternative and use it as an excuse to buy another gun.
I will keep carrying my full sized Kimber now that the cold weather has started to arrive and clothing covers great, and there isn't a ton of sweat on me. I'll train with the Sig245 I bought through the cold weather months and decide if I'm confident to use it as a CCW once summer comes around again.

But, I can't envison a gun for every occasion, i.e. more that two primary carry guns.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#7]
The only thing that dictates which gun I will carry is the clothes that I wear that day.  I switch between a Kimber TLE, Pro Carry and on a rare occasion if need be a Colt Vest Pocket Model .25.  It ain't much but it beets throwing rocks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#8]
There's a beach in Ohio?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:33:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 6:55:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I have even gotten to the point of NOT carrying a pistol at times. I down grade to a pocket folder.
Smart , nope but you asked.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#12]
we're on the same page, bigbore.  

i'm down to 2 carry guns, a g23 and g27.  i've gotten to the point of where i almost never carry the 27 by itself.

seems pretty dumb to switch guns all the time.  different grip angles or operating systems could get you killed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I read some time back in an excellant article...

"Would you rather carry a hangun
that is comfortable, or comforting?"

Case #1...  A friend of mine had to clear a house for another
friend of ours. He was gone & the wife got spooked bad. My
buddy (clearing the house) had just bought a Glock .40
with night sights. He said it very reassuring every time his
eyes swept the sights.

Case #2.  I sometimes carry a Hipower, but prefer a 1911.
I had to pull down on a rabid female with a 12 gauge at my
Quik Lube. I, too, felt confident with my .45. I don't think I
would have been as thrilled with my 9mm. My .45's go from
a P-12, to a Champion length, to a Govt.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#15]
There's a lake 10 minutes from my house, but I don't consider it "the Beach".
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I carry my Glock year-round, wherever it's legal.  It conceals fine with pretty much anything I wear.  I do plan ahead about where I may be going, and if I know I'll be going somewhere that is not legal to carry, then I'll just plan to leave my pistol in the car.  I have thought about getting a pocket pistol to carry when I'm just taking out the trash or running to the stop and rob to get gas.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Yes. The more clothes I can wear (colder it is outside) the bigger piece I carry.

The more clothes I can wear, the more guns I carry.
For the most part, I've carried a Commander daily, year round for pretty close to 30 years now. In the summer its just the Commander, but in the winter, I'll add another due to clothing issues, and vehicles. On the rare occasion I ever need to get gussied up, I either put the Commander and a reload or a couple of P230's in a Kramer Confidant shirt. Great holster for weddings and family gatherings.
I dont think its a good idea to constantly switch between guns and carry locations. Consistency means you dont have to think about it. When you think "GUNS" the sights just magically appear out there in front of you with no thought of how they got there. If your not consistant, you'll just look like your doing a funny dance while you look for and/or try to figgure out how to work what you got with you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry a weapon 24/7, and 99.9% of the time, the pistol on my hip is a GLOCK 19. I have found it to be the best CCDW gun for my needs. The other 0.1% of the time I carry a Kel-Tec P-32. The mousegun is limited to low risk situations when clothing doesn't permit the carrying of a larger weapon. For example, Saturday I attended a wedding and reception. The event was in a small town, at a private location, in the middle of the afternoon. A more docile atmosphere I could not imagine, but the little .32 tucked in my strongside front pocket kept me from feeling naked. The Kel-Tec is a compromise, but it allows to to be armed, however slightly, when I otherwise would be forced to go weaponless.

I have a half dozen other handguns, but the GLOCK and the Kel-Tec are the only two I ever carry. I have found them both to be 100% reliable, and perfectly suited for their intended purposes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:01:00 PM EDT
[#20]
G-22 with heavy clothes or if I feel that I may need it. 10%
S&W Ti .38 in dress or light clothes. 90%

Carry as much gun as you feel comfortable with. Why worry what I carry? Im usually comfortable that any real life scenario can be resolved with what I carry. Biker zombies,and bank robbers-no, carjackers,and knife wielding stickup men-yes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I let it for awhile, but now I carry a Kimber Pro CDP II all the time.  Full sized handgrip, 4" barrel
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I mostly carry a Glock 33 and when I am working in a bad area I will take the Glock 22 with 15rnds of 165grn SXT's and a extra 15rnd mag filled with the same.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:21:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I carry the same thing every day hot or cold.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:42:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I carry the same thing every day hot or cold.

+1

5" Kimber.....EVERYDAY.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:51:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Is it over kill  to carrying 2 guns..... I have 2 Glock 23's.... I bought 2 of the exact same model for logistics reasons... same ammo same mags.... but is carrying them both at the same time a little over the top? I doubt I would ever try to engage a threat with two guns.... I just think carrying a back up, in case one gun goes down, seems logical (even though I've never had one of my glocks jam or FTF).

Opinions???
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:36:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I've CCW for 6 years, and I'm blessed that I've NEVER found myself in a situation where I needed it. But I think some of you may be too worried about the gun, and less about what you like to do.  Lemme explain:  I avoid situations where my life may be endangered, while some of you may be avoiding relatively harmless situations because you can't easily conceal your weapon of choice.  Sure, I carry my 1911 Officer's Model when I can, but often its just not practical, so my Kel-Tec P32 goes with me.  Although it less capable than the .45, if I didnt have a P32, I'd go unarmed a lot more... and my mantra is "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it".  Do you ALWAYS carry a hunting knife, or do you sometimes carry a small pocket knife?  I have a motorcycle and a pickup truck, desktop PC and blackberry; they're all just tools and some situations may preclude one of them, but permit the other.

So, enjoy stuff you like to do and carry what you can when you can... to do otherwise is to be a (willing) slave to your preferred weapon.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:37:22 AM EDT
[#27]
For the most part I carry a Glock 33 wherever it is legal. Sometimes due to the requirements of the occassion I will carry a PM9 instead and when I go into the wilderness I carry a G29. If I am on a trip or something I will usually bring along my G32 for a car gun and general backup because of the ammo and mag. sharing ability. I sometimes get the need to carry something different. When this happens I switch to a Kimber compact and ultra. I regularly shoot both the glocks and the 1911s so I feel confident with either. But before I make the switch I do spend extra time getting reaquainted.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#28]
A pistol is a tool.  You don't just have one screwdriver do you?
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I carry my G22 99% of the time. On occassion (depending on the situation) I will carry my G27 or my snubbie .357.

I can understand why you would question this issue, especially since CCW is new to you. The more you carry the more you will find a need to alter how you carry to fit your lifestyle. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but it will happen.

i've been carrying for 1/3 of my life now, and i find the exact opposite to be true.  i've gravitated towards only buying big shirts which can be worn untucked, or size tall t shirts.  i carry everywhere except the beach and the gym.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Is it over kill  to carrying 2 guns..... I have 2 Glock 23's.... I bought 2 of the exact same model for logistics reasons... same ammo same mags.... but is carrying them both at the same time a little over the top? I doubt I would ever try to engage a threat with two guns.... I just think carrying a back up, in case one gun goes down, seems logical (even though I've never had one of my glocks jam or FTF).

Opinions???

HELL NO!  i'm sitting at my desk with a g23 in an iwb on my strong hip, and a g27 in my left front jeans pocket.  with a good belt the g27 doesn't cause any extra drag.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Beware the man that ownes only ONE gun...chances are he knows how to use it. I currently own a Springfield 1911 and it is the only one I own at this point. I carry it regardless of the situation not because it is the only thing I have (I've had as many as 6 handguns at one time) but it is the one I am most confident with. I train with it regularly and it has NEVER failed. Why worry about matching the weapon to the situation. It is better to have and not need than to need and wish like hell you did have. Besides, you can hide anything if you put forth a little effort.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:45:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Am I the only one who carries a pistol because I think it may someday save my life? I have a couple that a carry, and they are full sized.

Well, yeah.. but full-sized pistols aren't the best for the type of situations plainclothes civilans are likely to encounter.  If you think that saving your life means slapping gunleather at 50 paces, go ahead and carry 3lbs of steel.  A lot of times mid-size guns are offer better balance and sight acquistion - which is very important in real-life shooting.  As far as my personal collection, my glock 27 is a lot easier to quickly get hits out of the holster than my full-size g22..    
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#33]
I am glad that in TN we have a Handgun Carry Permit.  It doesnt say anything about "concealed".

I do conceal 95% of the time BUT I dont worry too much about printing once in awhile...
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top