Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2004 4:46:54 PM EDT
This post has taken some strange turns, screw it!  I'll just carry my Ka-bar.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#1]
i like my guns to look sexy, so the USP wins handsdown. Glocks are ugly. I have a USP 45F and I love it. And there are 10 round magazines for the USP 45 compact now since the AWb expired.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The HK is an excellent handgun.  I don't have a compact 45 but I do have a compact 9.  The USP's are awesome!  Never a problem with mine.  I did pick up a P2000SK in 9mm and I'm really liking the P2K series as well.  I gave up Glocks because I just couldn't shoot well with them.  Plus, I like the safety setup on the HK's.  You can go cocked and locked, or hammer down on a round for DA first.  Although I must say, the LEM trigger on the P2KSK is really growing on me.....
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
i have shoot a lot of 45's. the ones that  i have picked are the glocks. they will shoot almost anything. these are the pistols that i have decided to carry  to defend myself and my family. the mods 21 @ 30 are both very good choices. remember that trigger control/finger control is of the upmost importance in the glock family. remember that there  is no external safty.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#4]
My pick would be the HK. Currently I own a Glock 26 which is a good gun, but there is no comparison between it and my HK P7M8 or the P2000.

Don't the larger caliber Glocks have issues with KB?

Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
HK
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the Glock 26 a compact or a sub-compact. The mod. 30 is a compact, and is very accurate and reliable with not a second thought given to  self defence.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I've owned both. The Glock is a bit smaller, the H&K a bit more accurate. I also preferred the H&K trigger feel to the Glock's mushy feel.

My .o2
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I own two Glocks (23 and 27) and a USPc 45.  I shoot them all effectively but am partial to the H&K.   I like mine so much that I bought a second USPc in 40S&W (12 round in the mag).
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:46:20 PM EDT
[#9]
With the use of force, which weapon will proform as needed. The Glock will 99.99% not fail. I DON'T care about ugly. only survival. Shot them all.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd have to go HK.  I love my USP45f.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]
HK
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#12]
HK. I prefer the grip angle, myself. YMMV. It also has better sights and controls, will be more accurate and certainly looks better. Consider carrying cocked and locked, its a better alternative to the Glocks trigger. You have a restrike capability also. Most say thats useless, but should you be defending yourself you'll almost certainly have pulled the trigger once or more after the FTF without even meaning too, and most rounds I restrike fire. Yeah, I know, I should buy good ammo, but still.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:50:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You have a restrike capability also. Most say thats useless, but should you be defending yourself you'll almost certainly have pulled the trigger once or more after the FTF without even meaning too, and most rounds I restrike fire. Yeah, I know, I should buy good ammo, but still.

That's a valid argument, whether anyone wants to admit to it or not.

I'm a "Glocker" and carry one on a daily basis.  However, my .45 experience with a Glock is approaching 0%.  Were I to go buy a .45 this weekend, it'd either be a 1911 or a USP Expert or Tactical.

For a CCW, the 30/36 would definitely get  a spot in the shootout, but you'd certainly want to shoot them and the 45C before you made a choice.

As for "kabooms," the Glocks are no more susceptible to them than any other design.  I'll break anything with crappy ammo, I promise!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:20:41 AM EDT
[#14]
G30, I carry it 24/7/365, never had one problem with it and it eats anything.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:42:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Hell, for the price of the HK... buy 2 glock 30's ; carry them bought at the same time for CCW, and if one fails, switch to  the other one. Although... i've put over a 1,000 rounds though my glock, and never had one jam or failure to feed, no matter what I put through it. Go Glock or go home.... pretty won't win you a gunfight.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#16]

With the use of force, which weapon will proform as needed. The Glock will 99.99% not fail. I DON'T care about ugly. only survival. Shot them all.

Thanks for the response Mike, but I couldn't make sense out of your statement.  Could you please digress?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:48:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Glock 30.  I carry it every day.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Personally I like the HK more than the Glock. But lets face it, both the G30 and the USPc45 are going to perform. Get the one you like best.  This is a gun that you are trusting with your life, are you really worried about how much it cost? Seriously, I'm 18 and in college and I can afford Hk's. If you like the USP the best save the extra bucks and buy it. Either way, try them both and get the one you like.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Personally I like the HK more than the Glock. But lets face it, both the G30 and the USPc45 are going to perform. Get the one you like best. This is a gun that you are trusting with your life, are you really worried about how much it cost? Seriously, I'm 18 and in college and I can afford Hk's. If you like the USP the best save the extra bucks and buy it. Either way, try them both and get the one you like.

Hey Red Tape,

My intent for this thread is for those who have owned one or either pistols to give their insights.  Don't take this the wrong way, but your advice is fairly worthless.  "Get the one you like best"-no kidding, thanks for making that obvious.  Also, thanks for the keen insight that I will be trusting my life with either one, I'll keep that in mind.  I'm glad that you're 18 and you can afford an HK, I wish I was as liquid as you are when I went to college so many years ago.  By the way, since you are 18, how can you legally buy a pistol?  If your answer is, "No, I don't own any pistols because Im only 18.", then your advice is rather hollow.  Your whole blaize attitude concerning costs and "just save the extra bucks..." is very patronizing.  One day soon you'll understand about sacrifices, budgets, and financial constraints.  Who knows, maybe your inherently rich and you'll never worry about money.  Good for you.  And the whole idea of this thread is for others who have tried them both to give me their input so I may make a more educated decision.

Some educated inputs would be:

"I like the HK, because after having owned one for X years..."
"I like the Glock 30 because after firing 10,000 rounds..."
etc.

I hope this clarifies my perspective.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Personally I like the HK more than the Glock. But lets face it, both the G30 and the USPc45 are going to perform. Get the one you like best. This is a gun that you are trusting with your life, are you really worried about how much it cost? Seriously, I'm 18 and in college and I can afford Hk's. If you like the USP the best save the extra bucks and buy it. Either way, try them both and get the one you like.

Hey Red Tape,

My intent for this thread is for those who have owned one or either pistols to give their insights.  Don't take this the wrong way, but your advice is fairly worthless.  "Get the one you like best"-no kidding, thanks for making that obvious.  Also, thanks for the keen insight that I will be trusting my life with either one, I'll keep that in mind.  I'm glad that you're 18 and you can afford an HK, I wish I was as liquid as you are when I went to college so many years ago.  By the way, since you are 18, how can you legally buy a pistol?  If your answer is, "No, I don't own any pistols because Im only 18.", then your advice is rather hollow.  Your whole blaize attitude concerning costs and "just save the extra bucks..." is very patronizing.  One day soon you'll understand about sacrifices, budgets, and financial constraints.  Who knows, maybe your inherently rich and you'll never worry about money.  Good for you.  And the whole idea of this thread is for others who have tried them both to give me their input so I may make a more educated decision.

etc.

Both are quality, well designed, well built weapons. Either one will perform with near total reliability.

The question is which is better. They are both great. The difference is how well either will work with the perspective owners likes, and dislikes.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a Glock 30 and hated it.  I thought the pierce grip extensions would help but they didn't.
I sold it and bought a USP.45 compact and couldn't be happier.
Has never failed me and eats any ammo I put through it.
Oh, it's damn accurate too.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I would have to agree with red tape, and I think that was a pretty snotty response for someone who can't make up thier damn mind. Go rent each one and see which one you shoot better. If you can afford a glock 30, you can find a deal on a used USP, there is not really much difference in price.I bought one last summer for $450 with two holsters,very nice. And as has been repeated many times in this thread they are both reliable guns. Don't get so touchy and make a choice, worst case scenerio you sell it and buy something else. Boo-hoo
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
And there are 10 round magazines for the USP 45 compact now since the AWb expired.

Actually NO , or at least none I can find anywhere ............. Someone PLEASE
tell me i'm wrong
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#24]
I have owned the H&K .45 Compact...did not care for it at all...but the quality is definitely there. I have the full size USP in .45 and love it...go figure. I have shot the G30 but not...yet...owned one, My personal choice between these two would be the Glock, by a good margin.

20iner and chrome1...I will be surprised if you see any 10 rounders for the compact since they will need to extend beyond the bottom of the grip to fit 10 in there. If H&K could have crammed 10 in them, the compact would already HAVE a 10+1 capacity. But I suppose they could try and re-enginner the mag design to make it work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:45:23 AM EDT
[#25]

I would have to agree with red tape, and I think that was a pretty snotty response for someone who can't make up thier damn mind. Go rent each one and see which one you shoot better. If you can afford a glock 30, you can find a deal on a used USP, there is not really much difference in price.I bought one last summer for $450 with two holsters,very nice. And as has been repeated many times in this thread they are both reliable guns. Don't get so touchy and make a choice, worst case scenerio you sell it and buy something else. Boo-hoo

Hey, I call it as I see it.  I won't take the hollow advice from someone who's 18 (and obviously can't own either pistol) and be patronized.  The whole purpose of these threads is for different perspectives from prior owners of either pistol.  The "go try it" attitude is obvious but defeats the purpose of intellectual discussion on this site.  "Fluted barrels?  Go buy one and find out!"  "6.8mm?  Go buy it and find out!"  

There's no need for AR15.com with that attitude.

I think I stated my perspective quite clearly and gave tacit examples.  Boo hoo yourself and have a nice freak'n day.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:59:00 AM EDT
[#26]
I own 1 Glock 30 and two HK .45 USP Compacts. (1 is in a land, far far away)

I traded a Glock 36 for one of the HK's. Every day carry? The Glock. Why get exercise?

"Mission ready"? I'll take my H&K (of any description... USPC45, USP45, P7M13, P9S, P7PSP, Mark 23... why settle for less?)
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:23:12 AM EDT
[#27]
If you want a tactical light on your pistol you're going to have to go HK with you choice limited to those two guns.  HK does use a proprietary rail on their guns so you may have a more limited choice as far as lights.  Also the HK allows you to carry Mexican style if you've got  to "run to the store" or something.  I would buy a good holster no matter which one I purchased.  

The above being said.  My carry gun is a Glock 22 with an ARS grip reduction and trigger work.  Feels just as good as an HK or 1911 in my hand.  I've had the gun for  over 10 years.  I've toyed with trading it a few times but  just keep thinking I'll be stepping down.

The glock allows you to be instantly ready once you pull it out of the holster.  I know there's the "training, training, training" crowd out there who says you can be just as fast with a manual safety.   I just don't know how my training would react to being shot in the face, bullet lodged in my throat, no vitals hit but diminished motor funcitons, and my aggressor is still firing rounds at me.  Under a high stress situation like that , the draw gun, point, pull trigger and bang mode of operation sure is simple.  The HK has multiple modes of operation, if you go that route, pick one and stick with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hey Red Tape,

etc.

Very condescending.  Nice.

I guess my advice was hollow too.  I own 7 glocks, and have data from a field of glocks.  I have never owned an HK, nor do I plan to.  My family represents ownership of about 11 Glocks with hundreds of thousands of rounds down range.  We have never had one explode, only seeing mythical ones on the intarweb.  I say buy a Glock.  If your budget is too tight to buy good equipment, go to Wal-Mart and buy an H&R single shot shot gun.

A little pretension, right back at you.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Actually I have shot both the USP Compact and the Glock 30. I like the USP and I own it. You only have to be 18 to possess a handgun in Oklahoma and it can either be given to you or you can purchase it from an individual such as a parent etc... Lets see, running cost here for a new Glock is $500 and a new USP is $650-$700. You can't save the extra $150 for the gun you like best? I'm not rich, I worked for every penny I've got in a warehouse for min. wage while in school.

You asked what people think. I told you. Don't patronize me for being young. I went through the same decision and told you what I went with. I prefer the manuel safty, DA & SA variant, grip angle, and over-all feel. I've nerver had one hiccup out of my gun. That being said, I feel the G30 is just as reliable, thus making the decision a personal one. Sorry if I offend you, that was certainly not my intent.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:06:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

If you want a tactical light on your pistol you're going to have to go HK with you choice limited to those two guns.  HK does use a proprietary rail on their guns so you may have a more limited choice as far as lights.  

The H&K UTL will fit the Glock rail ............... Or should I say that I know
it will fit a model 20 .

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:47:47 PM EDT
[#31]
USP
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
You asked what people think. I told you. Don't patronize me for being young. I went through the same decision and told you what I went with. I prefer the manuel safty, DA & SA variant, grip angle, and over-all feel. I've nerver had one hiccup out of my gun. That being said, I feel the G30 is just as reliable, thus making the decision a personal one. Sorry if I offend you, that was certainly not my intent.

FWIW, I am 18 and own both the Glock 21 and USP45f.

I hate my Glock. I liked it until I picked up a USP. Have fired the Glock precisely once since, when my buddy got a G21 and we shot them against each other, to see whose Glock was better. I won.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Hey, I call it as I see it.  I won't take the hollow advice from someone who's 18 (and obviously can't own either pistol) and be patronized.  The whole purpose of these threads is for different perspectives from prior owners of either pistol.  The "go try it" attitude is obvious but defeats the purpose of intellectual discussion on this site.  "Fluted barrels?  Go buy one and find out!"  "6.8mm?  Go buy it and find out!"  

There's no need for AR15.com with that attitude.

I think I stated my perspective quite clearly and gave tacit examples.  Boo hoo yourself and have a nice freak'n day.

Wow, you're an asshole. Refer to my previous post, I am 18 and own both. Thats right, OWN. He's giving you good advice. Academically it could go either way. They each have their own pros and cons. The big isssue, as with any handgun, is ergonomics.  Some people, like me, have difficulty shooting Glocks. They shoot high in my hands, because the grip angle was designed to accomodate a high capacity magazine, rather than the shooter. Thats what you get for having someone who builds shovels design a handgun. Pick what works for you. May be glock, may be HK. Most gun shops with indoor ranges thaht rent handguns will have both, and for under $40 you can put a box of ammo through each. Then come back here and be civil.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Hollow advice my ass, theres a kid, name is Tanner, I forget the surname, who at 12 years old was competetive on the national level in Open Class IPSC. I bet you'd tell him to STFU if he tried to give you shooting advice on the range.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:45:28 AM EDT
[#35]

Wow, you're an asshole. Refer to my previous post, I am 18 and own both. Thats right, OWN. He's giving you good advice. Academically it could go either way. They each have their own pros and cons. The big isssue, as with any handgun, is ergonomics. Some people, like me, have difficulty shooting Glocks. They shoot high in my hands, because the grip angle was designed to accomodate a high capacity magazine, rather than the shooter. Thats what you get for having someone who builds shovels design a handgun. Pick what works for you. May be glock, may be HK. Most gun shops with indoor ranges thaht rent handguns will have both, and for under $40 you can put a box of ammo through each. Then come back here and be civil.

Listen here "Combat_Jack"  you talk of being civil yet you're the first one to use profanity.  Perhaps I have found a cornucopia of knowledge from members like your self who can summon any/and all answers one can ask for.  I'm done with this post, though there are those who have answered with solid pieces of advice built from experience, answers like "try them both" or "get the one you like better" only belabor the obvious.  Well, no kidding-I was going to use my ESP powers!   But by your monicker of "Combat_Jack" you obviously have been there and know it all so the buck can stop here.  Perhaps you can tell me what combat is like, or how to properly employ crew-served weapons, maybe even MOUT tactics?  Maybe you can give me a period of military education on the battle of Tarawa, the Battle of Belleau Woods, or the doctrine of maneuver warfare.  

I know the before-mentioned topics but no, I don't know how a USP 45 compact handles or how it would directly compare to a Glock 30. Hence, the purpose of this post.

Also, Gaston Glock, with NO prior firearm experience, designed the Glock 17 in less than 2 years and now owns >60% of the handgun market in the entire world.  A undeniably successful design.

So thanks combat_Jack for your brilliantly detailed insights, BTW where have you seen combat?

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Wow, you're an asshole. Refer to my previous post, I am 18 and own both. Thats right, OWN. He's giving you good advice. Academically it could go either way. They each have their own pros and cons. The big isssue, as with any handgun, is ergonomics. Some people, like me, have difficulty shooting Glocks. They shoot high in my hands, because the grip angle was designed to accomodate a high capacity magazine, rather than the shooter. Thats what you get for having someone who builds shovels design a handgun. Pick what works for you. May be glock, may be HK. Most gun shops with indoor ranges thaht rent handguns will have both, and for under $40 you can put a box of ammo through each. Then come back here and be civil.

Listen here "Combat_Jack"  you talk of being civil yet you're the first one to use profanity.  Perhaps I have found a cornucopia of knowledge from members like your self who can summon any/and all answers one can ask for.  I'm done with this post, though there are those who have answered with solid pieces of advice built from experience, answers like "try them both" or "get the one you like better" only belabor the obvious.  Well, no kidding-I was going to use my ESP powers!   But by your monicker of "Combat_Jack" you obviously have been there and know it all so the buck can stop here.  Perhaps you can tell me what combat is like, or how to properly employ crew-served weapons, maybe even MOUT tactics?  Maybe you can give me a period of military education on the battle of Tarawa, the Battle of Belleau Woods, or the doctrine of maneuver warfare.  

I know the before-mentioned topics but no, I don't know how a USP 45 compact handles or how it would directly compare to a Glock 30. Hence, the purpose of this post.

Also, Gaston Glock, with NO prior firearm experience, designed the Glock 17 in less than 2 years and now owns >60% of the handgun market in the entire world.  A undeniably successful design.

So thanks combat_Jack for your brilliantly detailed insights, BTW where have you seen combat?

I don't know what your problem is but you are out of line.

WE CAN'T MAKE UP YOUR MIND FOR YOU.

Both are reliable well made guns. They will work, and work well for a long time. It's not like you said Jennings, Davis, or Les Baer.  

We can't tell you which gun is best for you. Because you might have personal prefrences for grip angle, or trigger feel. You may be one of those types that likes "second strike" capability or an exposed hammer on firearms.

Both guns will work great. It's up to YOU to decide which will work best for you. The best way to do that is put both in your hand..........................

Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#37]
This post has taken some strange turns, screw it!  I'll just carry my Ka-bar.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Just carry a single grenade.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I am 22, and also in college, and also could afford an hk.  I shot my friend's and liked it very much.  It's called saving.  I put a little bit away every month, and it took me almost a year to save enough to buy it.  HK and Glocks are both great guns.  You can't get go wrong with either.  Shoot them both and pick the one that feels better, don't be such a whiny little bitch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top