Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 6:56:30 PM EDT
I am relatively new to the gun world and I am looking to buy a handgun. I have decided that I want a ploymer gun and have pretty much narrowed it down to an XD or p99. I have yet to go to a range and actually fire both of them so excluding that I would like to know the opinion of the people of which gun is better!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Now theres a tough question.
I've got S&W 99 .40 and Springfield XD compact 9mm.
Both have never failed me, and either would serve you well.
With that said, probably the walther would be the better as long as its NOT DAO (double action only).
one of the three grips will fit you. Also the decock is a good thing to have.

I looked at both Walther and Smith when I went looking for a 99 series. Ended up with the Smith just because I liked the "feel" of the grip better on the Smith. That was a few thousand rounds ago.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:38:50 PM EDT
[#2]
They are both good guns. I like my P99 for the "feel" of it and how it looks. With the DA 1st shot you have to really WANT to fire it, which compared to the lighter glock or XD trigger is a good thing. If you shoot any DA revolver stuff the P99 trigger will be very familiar, if you shoot alot of glock and 1911, it may take some getting use to but is the best trigger I have found in a poly gun.

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#3]
i have no experience with the P99, but I love both of my XDs
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:25:14 PM EDT
[#4]
XD  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Not even close ,the p99 all the way .
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I was kind of leaning in the direction of the P99, but I can't find much literature on it. Any word on reliability or accuracy?

Thanks for your help so far
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
p99 is better made, but XD is a great value.
But first you need to go shoot them before you plunk down the Benjamins....
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok first off,

I assume you've at least handled both of these pistols??? If not, go to a dealer that carries both and give them both a good fondling.

After that you NEED to shoot both of them, especialy the P99 because it has a very unusual trigger.  

The P99 is very aesthetically pleasing but don't buy guns(especialy handguns) based on what you hear, read or see. Experience is the ONLY way to tell whats right for you.

That said, get the P99 in 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
XD feels much better in the hand. If your talking P99 compact, I have no experience
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
XD feels much better in the hand. If your talking P99 compact, I have no experience

NO WAY! The P99 is one of, if not the most comfortable semi I have held or carried. It's contours, grip and size lend well to CCW and it feels like an extention of the hand versus the brick on a grip XD. Not knocking the XD, its a nice gun but no where near a please to shoot or carry. And hell, Bond carries it, and he gets all the poontang....

S.O.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I just sold my P99 to get an XD.  I couldnt hit shit with it, I can do some serious damage with a 1911 or an XD.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Walther P22, which is just a little smaller than the P99.  It's ok for a 22, but I wouldn't want a bigger version.  I love my XD subcompact 40.  It shoots very well, and is very reliable.  The main detractor for the Walther in my opinion is the fact that you cannot fire the gun without the magazine in.  Even to drop the hammer, you must insert a magazine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the consensus is, that the XD and the P99 are better than the, uh, XD and/or P99?

Anyway, this is another example of never asking the internet to make your mind up for you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a Walther P22, which is just a little smaller than the P99.  It's ok for a 22, but I wouldn't want a bigger version.  I love my XD subcompact 40.  It shoots very well, and is very reliable.  The main detractor for the Walther in my opinion is the fact that you cannot fire the gun without the magazine in.  Even to drop the hammer, you must insert a magazine.

You can shoot the P99 without the mag.  Still doesnt make up for me not being able to hit shit with it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:12:25 PM EDT
[#15]
XD
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

The P22 is about 75% the size of the P99 but it  isn't the same configuration.  The P22 has an exposed hammer, safety and the mag safety.  Where the P99 has a striker and decocker; no mag safety so it can be fired without a magazine.  My wife's first handgun was the P22 and it is a great introductory gun and plinker.

I have a P99 9mm &  will probably get a second, I haven't found another 9mm that fits my had as well.  No malfunctions and very accurate.  I just looked at the XD yesterday, handled very nice but what I didn't like was the lack of a decocker.

CDK
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The main detractor for the Walther in my opinion is the fact that you cannot fire the gun without the magazine in.  Even to drop the hammer, you must insert a magazine.

This is completely untrue, the P99 doesn't have a hammer either.

It is as accurate or more so as any other comparable handgun I've fired, however the trigger is (as stated above) unusual and typicaly takes some practice to get used to.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 I just looked at the XD yesterday, handled very nice but what I didn't like was the lack of a decocker.

CDK

Yeah that bugged me at first since I had all Sigs and HKs with De-cockers before I bought my XD, but after carrying the XD for a while, it's not a big deal since there is no hammer to decock. It's more like carrying a Glock in that respect (Only better). I must admit to thumbing a decocker that is not there on occasion .
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 8:02:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I'm not a big fan of the P99.  The squeaky, gritty trigger was my biggest complaint, and the mag release was a poor knockoff of the USP's.  

quote]

I think it should be the other way around. My P99 trigger is qhite smooth for a polymer DA trigger and it has a 1st rate mag release. The USP is the copy cat, adopting the P99s grip panel idea. The USP is a good gun just blocky and huge compared to a P99.

S.O.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top