Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 5:37:27 PM EDT
I'm rebuilding a springfield commander for carry and want some advice on MIM parts. So far I'm using a Caspian stainless slide, ed brown memory groove, wilson combat drop in match barrel, and I'm thinking of going with the nowlin "drop in" #4 trigger job to save a little work. Problem is, the sear and hammer are MIM and I've seen posts saying they can be of inferrior quality. Is there any reason to skip this drop in kit completely because of the two MIM parts?
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Hm... The next step up in the nowlin kit is a 3.5# pull but its all tool steel for the hammer and sear (not sure about the disconnect plunger). I have shot a 4# trigger in a 1911, but will 3.5# be a little light for a carry?

That sure does look quality though..
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#3]
While MIM is not the best, it is certainly servicable stuff when done correctly.  There are some MIM parts in Springfield Pro Models and Wilson CQBs, and few people complain about them.  LAPD SWAT and MARSOC DET 1 are both happy with the MIM parts in their Kimbers.  Cost no object, tool steel is the way to go, but MIM parts (when done right) can yield excellent service.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 12:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok after really thinking about it, I think I'm going to go with all tool steel parts. This is going to be a carry gun that sees ALOT of practice, since most of my previous pistols were 9mm, and I don't want a part breaking unexpectedly because a bad casting.

I'll post pics of it in the 1911 thread when its done in a month or so. I'm planning on the black frame, dull stainless slide, with dull stainless controls and grip saftey. Not sure on grips, but I'm probably going to go with a thin chocobolo grips.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
You have already made up your mind, but I wouldn't worry at all about MIM parts. I have seen quite a few pistols (Kimber mostly) that have seen a lot of use, and their MIM parts have held up fine. My own Kimber has over 30K rounds (full power .45 ACP) through it, and every part is just fine.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
While MIM is not the best, it is certainly servicable stuff when done correctly.  There are some MIM parts in Springfield Pro Models and Wilson CQBs, and few people complain about them.  LAPD SWAT and MARSOC DET 1 are both happy with the MIM parts in their Kimbers.  Cost no object, tool steel is the way to go, but MIM parts (when done right) can yield excellent service.

Sorry, but Wilson got rid of there MIM parts in a CQB awhile back. I have also never heard of any MIM parts used in a SA Pro. Care to back up that statement?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The Pro has no MIM parts. PERIOD.

Be well!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top