Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 7:33:29 PM EDT
Hey Guys... I was out at the range recently and watched a "cowboy" action match...it looked like a hell of a lot of fun and I am thinking of giving it a try... the problem is I need a single action "cowboy style" pistol... I dont want to spend a HUGE amount of money but I want decent quality... any suggestions???

Oh... and I would need a "cowboy" lever action rifle of the same calibur...
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want a really good lever gun for cowboy stuff get a Marlin in .38/.357.  They are so nice!

I dont know about the wheel gun.  The best grip and balanced wheel gun I have ever shot has to be the Remington New Model Army.  Black Powder, but man it shoots good.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:45:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Uberti makes great SAA pistols and even Winchesters. And they are NOT expensive.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Ruger Vaquero
www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/112L.gif

Marlin 1894
www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/images/firearmImages/1894CBC-45colt.jpg

IZH43 (Bounty Hunter)
www.eaacorp.com/firearms/longguns/sidebyside/cowboy/images/izh43.jpg

I shoot SASS a lot and that is essentially what I use. So does about 75% of the pards there do also. WELCOME!  There are a lot more SASS matches then 3gun matches so you'll get a lot more competitive time in with SASS. At least in the DFW area.

wganz

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Ruger. Other makes need a trip to the gunsmith first or they grind away their internals.

You normally need two revolvers to shoot the course of fire. If you do not buy Rugers you need three. One will always be down for repairs. Elmer Keith used to carry a spare gun in his saddlebags because Colts break. The Italian makers are not quite up to old time Colt quality yet.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:18:25 PM EDT
[#6]

+1  I have one of these in .45LC and LOVE it!

Payed $300 OTD for it.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
My Uberti Cattleman 4 1/2" .45 Colt
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:24:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditto on the Vaquero.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Uberti, Navy Arms, Cimmaron are all italian made and fairly good deals. Check gunbroker for the style and prices.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Cimarron Arms Peacemaker.

feels much better in my hand that the Rugers, handles the cowboy loads just fine, but not the hot .45lc loads which are known as "Ruger Loads". It's also an actual repro built on  the 1873 patents.

The other choice (More money) would be the US Firearms pistols, also built on the 1873 patents.

US Firearms
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been shooting single-action revolvers for 30 years.  The Colt is the original and the Uberti's are same size copies of them.  Being 1870's design they are on the fragile side compared to what is available these days.  (Hope I didn't offend too many die-hards there) .  But the Colt  Single Action Army is the gold standard, the original.  They are expensive no matter when they were made.

The Ruger Blackhawk, Ruger Bisley, and Ruger Vaquero are all "modern" designs using coil springs and are conciderably stronger and nearly unbreakable.   Throw in the fact the Rugers are affordable and it is easy to see why everybody  shoots them.  I have two Ruger single actions, one made in 1955 and one made in 1957.  I bought them used a long time ago and neither has ever given me any trouble.  

Everyone needs at least one SA revolver.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 11:18:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have been shooting single-action revolvers for 30 years.  The Colt is the original and the Uberti's are same size copies of them.  Being 1870's design they are on the fragile side compared to what is available these days.  (Hope I didn't offend too many die-hards there) .  But the Colt  Single Action Army is the gold standard, the original.  They are expensive no matter when they were made.

The Ruger Blackhawk, Ruger Bisley, and Ruger Vaquero are all "modern" designs using coil springs and are conciderably stronger and nearly unbreakable.   Throw in the fact the Rugers are affordable and it is easy to see why everybody  shoots them.  I have two Ruger single actions, one made in 1955 and one made in 1957.  I bought them used a long time ago and neither has ever given me any trouble.  

Everyone needs at least one SA revolver.

I agree, I said in my post that the Cimarron (Which are just better finished Uberti's) can't handle the hotter modern loads, but I just don't link the fat grip on the Ruger's, it just doesn't feel right, and if I'm only shooting for fun, hot loads are not needed. My Cimarron is one of my favorite plinkers, and has never given me a reason to regret buying it.

OH, and Colt doesn't ever get any of my money, just like H&K they are over oriced and anti-civvie. Also, if I wanted the best quality SAA, I would buy a USFA SAA

All the reviews I've read are that the quality is outdoing colt.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#13]
That USFA SAA sure is a good looking six shooter!  Fit and finish are first rate, and that color case finish is magnificient!  If I saw that one at a gunshop and had the dollars in my pocket it would be hard to walk away!  

Thanks for posting the pics guys, I needed a SA fix today.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:03:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Mudbug,

What holster do you have there?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.goobage.com/pics/Temp/saaholster.jpg

Mudbug,

What holster do you have there?

Thanks.

I can't rember the brand, but I bought it at Sportsmans Wharehouse in AZ. I like it, but one of the loops has dropped cartridges a couple times. When I bought it, it was just a "For now" holster, but seems to be well built, it does a good job of retaining the pistol when I'm on my quad, and I haven't felt a need to buy another.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#16]
The EMF Dakota (brass frame) is the cheapest handgun to get into the game, particularly purchased used.  The Vaquero is built like a battleship.
The Rossi w/ 20" bbl is the cheapest rifle.
The Marlin is the stongest.
The 1873 Winchester clone with a short stroke kit is the fastest.
Stoeger makes the cheapest side by each shotgun.

Wild Earp  SASS #7904Life Member
IM if any questions.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#17]
not the best pic.
EMF 1875 Remington in .45LC the extra cylinder sitting htere is for .45ACP. Holster and belt are from cabelas. I don't shoot it that often or in competition, but it's a nice revolver. I prefer the look of the 1875 remington over the colt SAA

here's their site and their pic. they also have a 5in barreled version
www.emf-company.com/1875-remington-single-action-revolver.htm
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a Vaquero and it was dead on and worked great but I never felt it was authentic so now I have it for sale and am looking for a Scofield.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#19]
+1 on the Vaquero.  It is the only Ruger I currently own.  I have one in .45 LC and it shoots damn good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top