Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2004 5:36:54 PM EDT
Does FN still make a Browning Hi Power copy?  I was offered one by a friend of mine that says he bought it new a few years back.  I'm trying to figure out how old it may be and maybe what it might be worth.  It is in excellent condition.  I've never had a Hi Power before, are the FN ones any good?
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If what Ive read is correct all HP`s were built by FN of Belguim for about the first 50 years of production.  A few years ago they started shipping parts to other countrys for final finishing & assembly to cut costs.  There are clones made in the Phillipines & South America.  FN made the ones Browning sold here under the Browning name.  They sold the same pistol to foreign militarys under the FN name.  FN has more expierience building that pistol than all the other makers combined.  Ive never seen a bad example from FN but some of the clones are pretty rough in fit & finishing.  Some of the pistols made under Nazi occupation are rough but they were not built to normal FN standards.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:39:02 AM EDT
[#2]
FN is making 5 versions of the Hi-Power that I know of.

1) Standard Hi-Power with SFS hammer and safety already installed w/13rd Mag
2) FN Modernized DAO Hi-Power w/ 15rd Mag
3) FN Modernized DSA Hi-Power w/ 15rd Mag
4) FN Modernized DAO Compact Hi-Power w/ 10rd Mag
5) FN Medernized DSA Compact Hi-Power w/ 10rd Mag

Rumor has it that if the new "Moderized" HP are popular enough they may start to producing them in .40cal
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:51:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Toney.......you missed the non "SFS"(HP-SFS) Hi power the so called "HP-SA" which is a MkIIIS hi power. So that is 6

the modernized HP's do not interchange one part with the single action Hi powers, not even the magazine.

there are a couple more pistols in the FN modern line........  FN-P9, and FN 49
and of course the FN "Five-Seven"
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
O.K.  Thanks guys......I got some more info on the pistol today.  The guy bought it new approx. 20 years ago so it's aloder than I thought.  So would that be a decent one to buy?  Is there a web site where I could get more info by using the serial number maybe?  Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to the Hi Power.  I've always been a 1911 guy.  I just don't want to buy a POS.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#5]
http://fnhipower.com/

these guys can help you :)
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey 99 (I've always wanted to say that) thanks, I always forget those minor details about the FN's. I've only had the luck to operate the SFS. Did I see some where on the forum that you have a Five seveN? How's that shoot? I've had the chance to fire the P90m but never the pistol. Other than S-N-G's isn't a little on the over penetrating side?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:00:48 AM EDT
[#7]
lol your welcome! the HP-SA is the current rendition of the hi power that has been in continous production since 1935. The 57 is quite a user friendly pistol, and its really not an overpenetrator
with the SS192 HP (though the HP will defeat L2 armor vests) the bullet starts yawing on impact with anything as the weight center is well to the rear.Here is an informative thread......
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=10865
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top