Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2004 6:58:24 PM EDT
I kinda got a hard on for the Mark 23 but the $2200 price tag hurts and is way too much for me at the time being.  $850-900 for the USP Tac. is still lofty but I can swing it

What is the difference between the two?   Looking at spec sheets it's about an inch overall shorter and half a pound lighter to me. (Complete handgun noob)

That it or is there more under the hood that i'm missing?

Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:16:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say much about the USP Tactical; however my stepmother and I pitched in to pick my dad up a Mk23 for Christmas. The Mk23 is the first hand gun I have ever fired that will easily one hole it just about every time at any distance out to 50 yards (on a bench with sandbags); these guns are tack drivers. If you have not held a Mk23, you need to because it a massive handgun and it might change your mind on it if you have smaller hands. However, if the gun does fit your hands and you can save enough pennies get the gun you will not be disappointed.

Jerad
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:20:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Heres how I thought about it.  If I got a USP TAC, I would always lust after a MK23.  So, I bought the MK23.  Well, now I lust after a USP TAC.

In true ARFCOM fashion...

GET BOTH.  It will happen eventually...
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#3]
The HK tactical has a O ring, adjustable trigger stop, target sights and Left hand threaded barrel.
The Mark 23 does have a longer barrel fixed sights and fixed trigger with a Right hand threaded barrel with a O ring. Also if you want to put on a light or laser the tactical uses the USP lights and mounts. The Mark23 as a different mount because of the trigger guard.

I went with the HK Tactical over the Mark 23 because of the price. I really like my Tact, it shoots great...but I got to shoot  friends Mark 23 and the Mark 23 shoots even better then the Tactical.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The USP Expert , is the spawn of the Mark 23 and the Tactical ,
and is supposedly the most accurate of the three .
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:10:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Tac and a Mark 23.  I love them both, but for different reasons.  The Mark 23 is the most accurate weapon I've got (well, I'm not sure, my 226 Sport in 9mm is pretty good too..).  Also, I've got a AAC Tactical can and an Insight LAM for it.  It's just awesome.  One ragged hole and recoil is non-existant.  However, it's huge!  The Tac is almost as accurate but you can carry it if you want.  Better have a jacket because you aren't gonna cover it with a shirt, but you can CCW it if you want.  And if the SHTF, I can't think if a better CCW sidearm than a HK Tactical.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#6]
P.S.  Get both, you won't be sorry!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I lucked out, a dealer had both in the showcase. The Mark 23 was just....WOW, really nice looking gun. Same thing with the Tac. I went with the Tac and have never looked back. The Mark 23 is HUGE, I knew people had stated such, but when you actually pick one up is when you really see. The Tac is my favorite HK and I've been very happy with it. Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#8]
The Mk 23 is a sweet gun, but it seems like it would be relegated to range use only. A USP Tactical seems a hell of a lot more practical, both size/carry wise and price wise.  You can find Mk 23s for $1800 or so if you look around. $2200 is really high.

Personally, I'm waiting for my USP Tactical to arrive at my FFL (should be there Wednesday). I'm like a kid before Christmas! I WANT IT NOW! I would like to have a Mk 23, but I won't ever buy one. I'm not the type to buy a gun simply for punching paper.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go with the USP expert............The MK23 is huge, and I dont have small hands
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying to get my local dealer to get one of each, he's trying to talk me out of it.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Tell your dealer to shut up and order you two of the finest firearms ever produced.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#12]
i did just that!  but being under 21 all i can do for now is put money down and hold em. Cant bring it home :(

Just went down there tonight. Says he wont order any high end handguns unless the person is going to buy them 100% and not back out.  He cant move the 1000$+ items real fast... and if they dont sell he's stuck with it.

no H&K dealers in the area that i know of  :(

I found a Mark23 on gunbroker.com for 1000$! think it said new. Kinda skeptic about a price that low.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#13]
You are under 21 but you are asking your dealer to order $3000 worth of pistols for you? That sounds a little odd.

I received my USP Tactical today and it kicks ass. It fits my hand perfectly and the sights are VERY easy for me to use.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Can someone post a side-by-side pic of the Tactical and Mk23 for size comparison? I've got a Tac but really want to know just how "huge" the Mk23 is compared to it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Can someone post a side-by-side pic of the Tactical and Mk23 for size comparison? I've got a Tac but really want to know just how "huge" the Mk23 is compared to it.

I'll see if I can break out the digital camera tonight.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:00:06 PM EDT
[#16]

You are under 21 but you are asking your dealer to order $3000 worth of pistols for you? That sounds a little odd.

Not really.
I'll have to look at them over in New York next month. No H&K dealers in this stupid state.

Ooo yes. side pictures would be great!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Not really.
I'll have to look at them over in New York next month. No H&K dealers in this stupid state.

Ooo yes. side pictures would be great!

See my HK picture thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top