Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2004 4:16:15 PM EDT
After a revolver is cocked, should the cylinder be rock solid in place, or is some minute movement OK?  For some reason, all the S&W models I checked out at one place had some slight movement, but I've always thought this is no good for accuracy and other reasons.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Some movement is fine. I think there are a few revolvers out there like the nagant that actually lock the cylinder but all normal revoelvers mande by the major manufactures have cylinder lash. As long as its only a couple thousandths of movement  it's fine. Thats what the forcing cone is for.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, like Gene said.   Thumb the hammer back, then pull AND HOLD the trigger and ease the hammer down.  KEEP HOLDING THE TRIGGER.  The pistol will now be in FULL LOCKUP.  Feel the cylinder play now.  Do it for each chamber.  There should only be a thousandth or two of play.  If you get lots of slop, I would not fire the handgun.  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the Colt Python is the only revolver that should have no rotational play in the cylinder,

I think that rule works for all Colt DA revolvers not just the Python.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
The only revolvers Ive ever seen that had none were Freedom Arms products or custom jobs from very good smiths.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 1:35:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, that test while lowering the hammer is a good thing to keep in mind.

I've also seen an NAA mini-revolver that had no cylinder play when cocked.  (That's the model with removable .22LR and .22M cylinders.)
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks to anothergene for the idea of checking the cylinder after letting the hammer down.  I`ll have to remember that when I go 44mag shopping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top