Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 12:49:36 PM EDT
I've got my eyes on a Colt Python 357Mag, 6 inch barrel, not the Elite.

Stainless, looks good nice finish.  Don't see any type of over pressure and looks pretty good.

$300, would you do it?

I"m not wheel gun fan, but always wanted a 357 Mag.  Plus it's a pony.

Yes / No.

TIA

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The last ones I have seen offered up for sale were in the $600 range.

I had one in Nickel, never again. Everywhere I would touch it would turn white and was hard to get off.

I'd do it if blued or stainless.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:17:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I have probably owned close to a dozen over the years...still have two. I have had several in nickle and the Florida Highway Patrol carried nickle ones for decades, yet I have never seen the problen spoken of by Minuteman419. Mind you I am not saying it did not happen, just that it is not common, and possibly could have been because of an aftermarket nickle job or something else. Any Python out there in good condition is well worth more than $300...buy it and don't look back!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have probably owned close to a dozen over the years...still have two. I have had several in nickle and the Florida Highway Patrol carried nickle ones for decades, yet I have never seen the problen spoken of by Minuteman419. Mind you I am not saying it did not happen, just that it is not common, and possibly could have been because of an aftermarket nickle job or something else. Any Python out there in good condition is well worth more than $300...buy it and don't look back!

+1, jump on it

r/s

Dan
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You are right, not common and the first one I have ever seen do this. Touch it, put it in the safe and take it out tomorrow...white spots where ever I touched it.

Who knows?

Danny
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Stainless, looks good nice finish.  Don't see any type of over pressure and looks pretty good.

$300, would you do it?

Yes / No.

TIA

I'll give you $350 for it, sight unseen. Seriously.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 1:59:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Where are you at?  What gunstore.  IM me, and it will be gone asap.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are right, not common and the first one I have ever seen do this. Touch it, put it in the safe and take it out tomorrow...white spots where ever I touched it.

Who knows?

Danny

Maybe you got "Super Sweat Glands" brother!
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys are the cat's ass man.  You rock.

I will be making a visit to the fun shop tomorrow to plunk some change down for that bad boy.

But seriously, I've read some great reviews on how it's a tack driver.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Maybe you got "Super Sweat Glands" brother!

Oh Great, one more thing to go at 45.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 3:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

$300, would you do it?

Yes / No.

TIA

Hell Yes .

I'm not a big wheel gun guy either , but I have a 6" Anaconda .
I've been looking for the other Snake .

Truth is , if everything else fails you . The relover will still be working .
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I've worked on a lot of Smith and Colt revolvers....Pythons are pretty but that's about it.

But $300 *Yes*  
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 10:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
For $300.00 I hope you didn't take too long to think about it
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:53:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Minuteman419: Is this a factory nickel job? I've never heard of problems with any factory nickeling experienced by you like that.

sterling18: I would be all over that deal like a cheap suit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Stupid me.  Went by there for an early lunch.

IT'S GONE.  BYE BYE.

I'm kicking myself.  But the owner said look.  I have a King Cobra that I will move for the same price.

6 inch barrel, stainless, looks just as good as the Python.

As soon as I finish typing, I'm going to call the guy to put it aside for me so I can go after work to look at it some more.  More than likely I"m taking it home.

Thanks guys.

ETA : btw, I found out who the King Cobra belonged to.  Don't laugh but little old lady, ok not that old, 50ish, bought it,  shot , approx 250 rounds over 3 years, hated it due to not liking 357 or 38.  Put it up for consignment.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#15]
but it's no python...

[homer]d'oh[/homer]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
but it's no python...

[homer]d'oh[/homer]

Yes, that I do know.  Inbetween tears, I will be paying for the King Cobra.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Minuteman419: Is this a factory nickel job? I've never heard of problems with any factory nickeling experienced by you like that.

The dealer I got it from never said it wasn't factory, it was as good as a factory job though. I kept it almost a year and returned it to him. He allowed me the same $ as I paid him for it, which was $600. He stated that he had never seen one do like mine was doing. I tried lots of different oils on it too.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:01:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Stupid me.  Went by there for an early lunch.

IT'S GONE.  BYE BYE.

I'm kicking myself.  But the owner said look.  I have a King Cobra that I will move for the same price.

6 inch barrel, stainless, looks just as good as the Python.

As soon as I finish typing, I'm going to call the guy to put it aside for me so I can go after work to look at it some more.  More than likely I"m taking it home.

Thanks guys.

ETA : btw, I found out who the King Cobra belonged to.  Don't laugh but little old lady, ok not that old, 50ish, bought it,  shot , approx 250 rounds over 3 years, hated it due to not liking 357 or 38.  Put it up for consignment.

The King Cobra is not as good as the Python, I think the when both the Python and King Cobra are available, the retail price of the King Cobra is something like half to a third of that of a Python.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 8:17:51 AM EDT
[#20]
anothergene: Very well said, the bane of all gun owners, the one that got away. Sometimes you just have to just take a leap of faith, and just jump on it. I know one thing for sure, all of my Colt firearms that i bought years ago, can be sold for more than what I paid for them, except my Double Eagle anyways.

Man, I guess I haven't bought a Colt for awhile, i can't believe that the K.C. cost more now, than when it first came out some 20 odd-years ago.
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 11:39:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Gentleman,

I have learned a valuable lesson.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top