Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2004 12:38:52 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a 1911 sometime and really like the looks and features of the Kimber TLE.  It's the $800 price I don't like!  So, I'm also thinking about the Springfield Mil-Spec, those are around $500 from what I've seen.  Now I figure the Springfield should run fine out of the box, maybe need a new extractor but otherwise it should be good to go right?  

Questions about upgrading the Mil-Spec though, how hard is it to change the trigger, hammer, and put on a beavertail grip safety?  What do those parts cost?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Kimber Custom II- same exact gun as the TLE minus night sights, fancy markings, and frontstrap checkering.

Run ya about 600 bucks, and you get all the "ability" of the TLE without the price tag.

800 is also a bit steep for one of those- you should be able to find them cheaper if you shop around- I paid 850 for my TLE RL...

Scott

ALSO- I had a mil-spec operator when I bought my Kimber.  The mil-spec didnt stick around too long after I got the Kimber.  The springfield mil-spec was a GREAT gun, don't get me wrong.  But there was no question which one I liked better.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#2]
First of all I'm not 1911 expert.  Heck, I don't even own one yet but I found the SA Loaded to be a very nice handgun and that is what I'm getting.  More expensive than the Mil-Spec but less than the Kimber.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My first 1911 was a 90s edition Springfield Mil-Spec. I bought it for $380 eraly 90s and now have $900 in it (including the purchase cost). But that $900 includes a fitted Bar-Sto barrel, ambi safety converted to left hand only, beavertail, commander hammer, 4 lb trigger, scalloped ejection port and some throat work for SWCs.

My second 1911 was a Kimber Custom for around $700 out of the box. I will have to add an ambi safety to it.

The Springfield is more reliable due to a larger chamber diameter.

They are both great, the Kimber will choke on junk reloads that the Springfield handles, and the Springfield has a lefty safety, but other than that they work the same.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Custom TLE II, works great for me.....
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the TLE.  You would spend more $$ to get the SA up to the level of the Kimber than you would if you just bought the Kimber.  $800 is about right.  I got mine for $850 last year.  No problems that wern't user induced (ie my fault)
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
First of all I'm not 1911 expert.  Heck, I don't even own one yet but I found the SA Loaded to be a very nice handgun and that is what I'm getting.  More expensive than the Mil-Spec but less than the Kimber.

I'll have to agree.  I think the SA Loaded is the best 1911 deal on the market. Forged Frame and Slide, Novak low mount night sights, Beavertail grip safety, and a ambi thumb safety make it hard to beat.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to recommend the Colt XSE
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You would spend more $$ to get the SA up to the level of the Kimber than you would if you just bought the Kimber.

BS
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Let me be the first to say:  Get Both!
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:49:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You would spend more $$ to get the SA up to the level of the Kimber than you would if you just bought the Kimber.

BS

You would get the gun you wanted though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:45:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the input.  The only real selling feature for me on the TLE is the serrated front strap, I like the way it feels.  Though I'd imagine some skateboard tape on the Springfield would do the trick just fine too.  The night sights carry zero value for me, the flameball a .45 makes is going to make you blind regardless of your sights.  That's what a surefire is for!  

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I am going to go with a Springfield 1911. Both a Springfield Loaded and Kimber TLE are great guns I prefer the checkering on the grip of the Kimber but love Springfields customer service and loaded features such as ambi-safety and forged slide and frame. Not to mention the price is more reasonable.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am going to go with a Springfield 1911. Both a Springfield Loaded and Kimber TLE are great guns I prefer the checkering on the grip of the Kimber but love Springfields customer service and loaded features such as ambi-safety and forged slide and frame. Not to mention the price is more reasonable.

+1
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Are the Kimber slides and frames forged?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top