Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2004 2:10:02 PM EDT
considering one of these in .45 ACP for concealed carry.  i'm 5'9" at 145 lbs.  just wondering what the pros/cons are of this particular weapon- what parts need upgrading, etc...

also- this will be a first 1911 for me- anything else i need to know?  

and as well- what's a recomended holster and carry position for it.

i know that's pretty broad, but i'd like to know.

thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i had a defender plus ( 8 round ). Great gun. easy to conceal, not heavy, nice to shoot. I think it's one of the nicest 1911's i've owned. I've always carried at the 4-5 o'clock position . a man's body contour allows for that position for be carried well. I usually carry in a belt slide that rides high. I stay away from IWB b/c it's not comfortable for me nor  does it allow for quick presention . IMO

J
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:15:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on what Aim4MyHead mentioned with the exception that I carry mine in a IWB holster from Galco - Royal Guard model.  Never had a problem with presentation as long as you practice clearing your shirt and/or jacket (goes without saying) - I tried 2 or 3 other types of holsters before settling on the Royal Guard model.  For me it just gave me the best comfort vs. concealability fit for my body type.  Hogue grip fits my large hands well.

Only issue I've had was a broken extractor - the little edge that grabs the shell sheered off.  $30 fix from a local armorer.  Otherwsie its eaten every kind of manufactured ammo I've run through it without failure (> 2000 rnds)

I was a bit nervous carrying a 1911 concealed for the first time only because I was unused to having the hammer locked back with the safety on but you get used to it.

It tears down and cleans up in a snap and the finish has held up nicely.

Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#3]
yup- thanks gentlemen.  i think the decision has been made- time to go kill the ole checking account.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I hope I'm not too late with this...

I would test fire it if you can.

I read here that others had good luck. I hope you do too.

I bought a Defender a couple of years ago instead of a Kimber because I was new to 1911's and knew only of the Colt "legend".

The Defender could not fire 3 rounds in a row without a FTF or FTE. Ammo didn't matter. No limp-wristing or any other shooter issue. I tried different mags...nothing worked.

It went back to Colt twice and they still couldn't fix it. I ended up trading (and taking a loss) it for a Kimber.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:49:52 PM EDT
[#6]
nah- it'll be AT LEAST a week or two- don't worry there will be a range report and pics.  and probably a tad more deliberation between now and then- but i still lean heavily towards a defender.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:21:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had my Defender for around 4 years and have never had a problem with it. I use a galco PLE holster which is a fine holster. I carry on the apex of my hip for best comfort.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:48:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry one almost daily.  If you see an older model in nice shape, consider it.  They had a rear sight that looked llike a Novak, much more solid than the current small one.  Nice shooter; comfortable handling.  There are a variety of holsters which are good, especially Hume and Galco.  I use one made my a local  "Andrew's Leather" (andrewsleather.com   IIRC)  which is beautiful quality, in my pocket.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top