Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2004 11:00:36 AM EDT
So I picked up a Colt Mustang at the Dallas Market Hall gunshow this weekend with intent to use it as a carry pistol.   Yeah yeah, I should carry something bigger.  This is not the place to tell me about how it's an ineffective round or whatever.   This is a gun I will actually carry.  It's small, not TOO heavy, feels good in my hand, and will disappear under a shirt.  

What are everyone's experiences with this little monster?  I would have gotten a Government .380, but only found ONE at the show, and it was a bit run down.  Got this one for a bit less than another dealer had the same thing for.  I'm happy with it.  

Does anyone know if anyone makes a mag with a pinkie rest?  Or an extended 7 round mag?  Like a Mustang +2 mag with some sort of plastic finger rest?  I googled and couldn't find much.  

Oh, here she is:

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#1]
******8888******
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:32:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#3]
That's why I took the picture with it laying in my hand.  My hands aren't small, but they aren't too big either.   Had a PPK/s that fit me perfectly.  No slide/hammer bite.  I can shoot a milspec 1911 without any uncomfortability.  

I will have no problem concealing that little pistol.   Because of that, I will be more prone to carry it more often.   I just have to get to the range and see how accurate she is... :)  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:41:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
You are absolutley correct on all points....!

Would you mind sharing with us what you paid for it?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#6]
$525

Not too bad... I only saw one other guy with one, and he wanted $575.  

It is NIB.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#7]
How is the reliability?  I've always heard they are not known for being incredibly reliable..  lots of FTF FTE type malfunctions..
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:58:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Haven't shot it yet, so I can't say.  I have 150 rounds of some Russian .380, 50 rounds of Winchester ball and 50 rounds of Silvertips.

I'll do a break-in with probably 200 rounds of brass cased ball .380, then just burn up that Russky stuff I have.  Then make sure it feeds the Silvertips reliably.  

Will report results here.  I should be able to do it this weekend, or early next week since I'm off.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:02:38 PM EDT
[#9]
holy schmoly!  i had no idea they went up that much!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Lumpy, not yet, but that guy does some NICE work!  I want to make sure it 'fits' me and gives me a little bit of service before I drop another $300 into it! ;)

I like a lot of the stuff they do... melt down/dehorn, trigger, polish ramp/throat, add dot to front sight, etc etc...   That's all a possiblity in the future!  

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Colt Mustangs are about the only .380 I really like.  It doesnt get any slimmer than that.

Yep.  This is probably the smallest thing I would carry.  It's comfortable to me.  This is a gun I would carry all the time, which is probably it's most important feature.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Colt Mustangs are about the only .380 I really like.  It doesnt get any slimmer than that.

Except for my Kel-Tec P3AT of course.  That makes a Mustang look like a full size 1911.  They're  (Mustang) good looking though!

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 12:07:39 PM EDT
[#18]
My dad has a government in .380  Very nice piece.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 3:29:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Except for my Kel-Tec P3AT of course.  That makes a Mustang look like a full size 1911.  They're  (Mustang) good looking though!

Im not fond of tupperwear...especially the cheap stuff

Mine goes bang every time.  I can't say that for my Mustang!
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Excellent purchase on a sweet little Colt. I had/sold a Mustang Pocket Light w/SS slide and alloy frame, and it was a great little gun. My Mustang was pretty tight when new and had some teething pains (FTF/FTE) untill it hit about 150-200 rounds and never had any other issues. It only liked hardball untill FULLY broken in and then it shot any anything I tried (factory loads) easily.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine goes bang every time.  I can't say that for my Mustang!

Unfortunately not everyone can say that about their P3AT.  I've seen three different ones at the range this summer.  Only one was reliable.  Based on my expirience you got lucky and got one of the 33% that work.  YMMV

Kent
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, I hope my little pocket rocket proves to be reliable.  I've been lucky to have had no problems with any NEW pistols I've ever bought.   I have a Star BM that gets a FTE every few dozen rounds.  Everything else I own works like a charm.  

I'll give it a couple hundred break in rounds of ball before I try my defense loads.  I picked up a box of Winchester Silvertip 85gr.  The freakin cavity in those hollowpoints is HUGE!  

I saw someone's little test on wet newspaper with some .380 hollowpoints out of a P3AT, and the Silvertips expanded the best.   So I'll go with those.  I'll also try some HydraShoks too for giggles.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:56:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:22:27 AM EDT
[#24]
I got it to the range yesterday, and put about 120 rounds through it.   It was decently accurate, given the rather small sights.  With the brass cased ball (50 rounds Winchester, 50 rounds PMC) it fed and functioned fine.   With the steel cased Russky ball I had, it would not eject a SINGLE round.  FTE every time!  Guess I'm giving the rest of that stuff to my buddy who's .380 eats it like candy.   I also tried a magazine of Winchester Silvertips, and they fed fine, and were actually more accurate than the ball I had been shooting.  

My review:

The trigger is nice, and the gun feels good in my hand, except for the short grip, of course.  Recoil is actually not very sharp, as it is not a blowback mechanism, it actually is a locked breech.   Aside from the steel cased stuff not ejecting, I only had one FTE, when I dropped one round in the chamber, and loaded a full mag - the first round didn't eject.   I tried the same thing several more times, and it functioned normally.    As folks have said, it takes a couple hundred rounds to break in well, so I will be putting another couple hundred, testing for the same failure, and will do so with whatever ammo I choose to carry to be sure it feeds and ejects reliably.  

All in all, a nice little pistol.  Wish it were a little less $$.   I'd also probably rather have a Govt. .380 for the slightly larger size and 1 more round in the mag.   As I mentioned before, this pistol is a compromise.  I'm trading size, capacity and power for something I will feel comfortable carrying almost all the time.    A .380 you carry is infinitely better than the .45 you left at home!  

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I got it to the range yesterday, and put about 120 rounds through it.   It was decently accurate, given the rather small sights.  With the brass cased ball (50 rounds Winchester, 50 rounds PMC) it fed and functioned fine.   With the steel cased Russky ball I had, it would not eject a SINGLE round.  FTE every time!  Guess I'm giving the rest of that stuff to my buddy who's .380 eats it like candy.   I also tried a magazine of Winchester Silvertips, and they fed fine, and were actually more accurate than the ball I had been shooting.  

My review:

The trigger is nice, and the gun feels good in my hand, except for the short grip, of course.  Recoil is actually not very sharp, as it is not a blowback mechanism, it actually is a locked breech.   Aside from the steel cased stuff not ejecting, I only had one FTE, when I dropped one round in the chamber, and loaded a full mag - the first round didn't eject.   I tried the same thing several more times, and it functioned normally.    As folks have said, it takes a couple hundred rounds to break in well, so I will be putting another couple hundred, testing for the same failure, and will do so with whatever ammo I choose to carry to be sure it feeds and ejects reliably.  

All in all, a nice little pistol.  Wish it were a little less $$.   I'd also probably rather have a Govt. .380 for the slightly larger size and 1 more round in the mag.   As I mentioned before, this pistol is a compromise.  I'm trading size, capacity and power for something I will feel comfortable carrying almost all the time.    A .380 you carry is infinitely better than the .45 you left at home!  

Great after action report.

I agree a .22lr is better with you then nothing.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I felt the same way until trying one for myself.  Zero failures of any kind with my P3AT so far using a mix of ammo ranging from hardball to Hornady and Golden Saber hollow points.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Here is your mag Colt w/Extention RSR group

selct magazines first colum
Wait for regen
select colt manufacturing Second colum
click search
about halfeway down click
MGCT556921 MAG COLT MUSTANG W/BS EXT 380 ST 7RD  
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#28]
My wife carries the Gvt. model ive got a mustang they are great but do require proper extractor tuning and some love. check out Mullins Amunition Extreme Shock USA for efective 380 defense loads.AMMO
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 9:18:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I felt the same way until trying one for myself.  Zero failures of any kind with my P3AT so far using a mix of ammo ranging from hardball to Hornady and Golden Saber hollow points.

Ive seen Headspace Problems on more than one P3at Sent three of them back to Kel-Tec. they were repaired and Kel-Tec costomer service is refreshing in this industry. but still a potential KBoom on any gun no matter how small makes you think twice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top