Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2004 8:16:02 AM EDT
Just what the topic says. Does anyone manufacture 1911s in unusual calibers? I kind of figure that a .38 Super would be a good starting point, but I really don't know anything about this sort of thing.

This isn't a super high priority for me or anything, but I would really like one in the future sometime. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I saw on gunbroker once a 1911 that had been converted to 7.62 tok by the Vietnamese so I guess it is possible.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 8:47:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Should be posible, but reliable mags would be a problem I would think.

I'd say you ought to get a shot-out .45 ACP barrel, ream  that sucker out and add a 7.62 barrel liner and chamber.  The .38 super mags will probably be too long, so you'd have to find 9MM 1911 mags, which should work.   The breach face and frame for a .38 super set-up should work in terms of  extraction and ejection, however.  

I'd start with a heavy .38 super recoil spring, and lighten until you get reliable functioning.  Remember that 7.62x25 is a pretty high pressure cartrige.   Its been a while since I looked at pressure specs, but I believe that the 7.62x25 round is more than 15,000 PSI higher than .45 ACP so ensuring a long enough lock time is clearly essential.   Also, you'd have to worry (read:  avoid) that CZECH machine gun ammo that showing up at gun shows.  While technically dimensioned to 7.62x25, this stuff is supposedly loaded to even HIGHER pressures.   I have heard of folks killing their CZ52s with the stuff.  

Sounds like a fun project, though... albiet it will probably be pricy.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Should be posible, but reliable mags would be a problem I would think.

I'd say you ought to get a shot-out .45 ACP barrel, ream  that sucker out and add a 7.62 barrel liner and chamber.  The .38 super mags will probably be too long, so you'd have to find 9MM 1911 mags, which should work.   The breach face and frame for a .38 super set-up should work in terms of  extraction and ejection, however.  

I'd start with a heavy .38 super recoil spring, and lighten until you get reliable functioning.  Remember that 7.62x25 is a pretty high pressure cartrige.   Its been a while since I looked at pressure specs, but I believe that the 7.62x25 round is more than 15,000 PSI higher than .45 ACP so ensuring a long enough lock time is clearly essential.   Also, you'd have to worry (read:  avoid) that CZECH machine gun ammo that showing up at gun shows.  While technically dimensioned to 7.62x25, this stuff is supposedly loaded to even HIGHER pressures.   I have heard of folks killing their CZ52s with the stuff.  

Sounds like a fun project, though... albiet it will probably be pricy.  

If you will do all this for me at cost, I will let you fire the first mag.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just buy a Tokarev.  That is a russian knock off of a 1911.  Did you ever look inside one?  They are almost identical.

cap
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:31:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just buy a Tokarev.  That is a russian knock off of a 1911.  Did you ever look inside one?  They are almost identical.

cap

I already own a CZ-52, which is an excellent pistol (for what it is) IMO.  I just want something in that caliber I can actually carry on me and really depend on.  The CZ has tiny iron sights, no slide stop, small safety, brittle firing pin, and is not particularly accurate.  Still an excellent $130 weapon, just not a carry gun.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 11:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Avenger15,

Why would you quote me and talk only about a CZ52.  I never mentioned a CZ52.  A CZ52 and a Tokarev are as different as night and day.  A CZ52 has a delayed roller locking system like an HK91.  A Tokarev is almost an EXACT duplicate of a 1911.

cap
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

cap

+1

The Tokarev is a simplified 1911. I love the take down of my Chinese Toke!

Question is, why would you want a 7.62x25 as a carry gun? Plan on shooting someone that's wearing body armor?

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Avenger15,

Why would you quote me and talk only about a CZ52.  I never mentioned a CZ52.  A CZ52 and a Tokarev are as different as night and day.  A CZ52 has a delayed roller locking system like an HK91.  A Tokarev is almost an EXACT duplicate of a 1911.

cap

I understand that the CZ and Tokarev are different as night and day.  But I don't want a Tokarev.  My point is I don't want another 50 year old Iron Curtain pistol - I want a new custom 1911.

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:17:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why not convert a 9mm model of the 1911.

The 7.62 X 25 is very close to the .30 Lugar wich the 9mm is based on.  Little work would need to be done. Maybe only a barrel change.

One potential problem is that the Tokarev cartridge is 6mm longer than 9mm Luger cartridges, so a new mag and magwell might be necessary.

I'm not sure about that, I am not a gunsmith.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top