Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 4:27:51 PM EDT
How do you remove scartches and what are ways to prevent scratches?

anyone tried this?
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=31929/Product/GUN_CARE_KIT

or DuraCoat, painting a gun

http://www.houtsenterprises.net/dur_shakenspray.html

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
preventing scratches are easy.  just dont scratch the gun.

afa the duracoat, i hear its nice, but some people have done butcher jobs to their gun.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 6:47:57 AM EDT
[#2]
There really isn't any way to remove scratches, short of polishing down the surrounding metal to the level of the scratch.  

About all you can do is try to hide the scratch.  On a blued gun, a black Sharpie works about as well as anything else.  Sometimes you can carefully use a bit of cold blue solution on a toothpick to darken the exposed metal in the scratch.  

Of course you can paint over the original finish, with Duracoat or a handful of other finshes.   To have much success in keeping the paint on the metal, the gun will need to be abrasive blasted with a fairly aggressive medium such as aluminum oxide.

Preventing scratches:  aside from being careful when handling the gun when in use, there's not much you can do there.   The ones that happen when you're storing them are the ones you want to prevent.   Get a set of Gunsocks and use them.   If you don't want to spend the money, just use old discarded socks.   They'll keep the dust away and prevent your handguns from scratching each other.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:01:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Brownells Oxpho Blue is the best touch up I've run across.  As far as preventing scratches, leave the gun in the safe.  All of my guns have some kind of finish wear, it's just part of the game.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#4]

I have learned to embrace them and now consider them "beauty marks".  
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 4:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top