Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2002 8:24:04 AM EDT
Anyone owned both?  Pros/Cons?  I had a P225, great gun, but I've always wanted an HK. I don't like that the Sigs don't have an accessory rail. Educated opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lightfighter...out!
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 11:53:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:Anyone owned both?  Pros/Cons?  I had a P225, great gun, but I've always wanted an HK. I don't like that the Sigs don't have an accessory rail. Educated opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lightfighter...out!

I've owned both.  I sold the USP first, since it was nearly impossible to find hi-caps for it, and I found the trigger too stiff and the checkering too sharp.  The decocker would sometimes bind and require huge amounts of force to move it.

I kept the P226 for a couple more years but it suffered from a stiff trigger and an infuriating tendency to fling brass in my face.  I didn't care much for the bar dot sights, but some like them.  I don't think there are any high-caps available for the .40 version.

For what it's worth I still own two SIGs and have not had the urge to buy another USP.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a full-size USP/40.  It was a very good gun.  Easy to shoot, plenty accurate.  I'd recommend it for a full-size gun in .40.  I have no experience with the compact USPs.  Hi-caps are out there for the full-size. I had them with mine, they were 13rd.  I don't know if the extra three rounds would justify the extra expense nowdays though.  The cheapest I've seen high-cap USP40F mags has been about $60 each, but at least you can get them.

I've owned a P226 in 9mm for a very long time and it's a great gun as well.  I had a USP9F as well, but sold it and kept the Sig because I already had a couple dozen Sig hi-caps, and only a couple 10rd mags for the USP.  I bought a hi-cap 9mm USP mag for $30 one time, but sold it for $60 on the other side of the gunshow later that day.  I never had any problem with that USP either.  

The HK is a big blocky gun (at least the full-size), but it's quick to use and lightweight.  I like the way it was engineered and designed.  I liked the way the safety system worked, letting you cock-n-lock, or hammer drop.  I loved the mag release, as it was virtually the same as my P7.  

The only reason I sold the .40 was to get out of that caliber entirely.  I didn't really have a use for the gun, since I was carrying a P228 and had the P226 for a full-size.  Now I'm thinking of getting a .40, and it will either be a HK/USP or a Springfield XD.

Ross
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 2:03:35 AM EDT
[#4]
They are both really good pistols and I'm sure you'd enjoy either. But there is another possibility that you haven't mentioned and that is the SiGPro. It's more concealable than either and comes with the rail for accessories.

Here is the SiGPro and the 225

and here is the SiGPro compared to the 226.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top