Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2002 7:43:57 AM EDT
Guys need some help here....

I do not know where to look anymore.
First some background.

I have a Springfield National Match 1911A1.

I use "good" mags Chip McCormicks.

I have a problem with jams on the LAST shot.

Everything works fine for shots 1-8 ( starting with one  in the pipe).

However on the last shot the gun will not fire at all!  To get it to fire all I have to do is either drop the mag or hit the gun at the bottom of the mag upwards.

I think it has something to do with my disconnector but I am not sure.  Do I need a neew trigger three finger spring?

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Cheers

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 9:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a similar problem with mags that had plastic followers...instead of loading them up...used them 7+1....seemed to help.....but...the mags I always got with new colt were shooting star....I have purchased some shooting star..chip mccormick mags also.....don`t have the same problem with them......wether this helps???....check the ejector....one of the 1911 types I had was truoble...until I installed an extended one....otherwise???.....is this a 70 or 80 series?
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#3]
It happens with all my Chip and shooting star mags......I am going to check my original 7 shot NM mag tonight.

I makes it a real pain in the but in IPSC shooting!

Oh its a series 70

Link Posted: 3/24/2002 10:08:06 AM EDT
[#4]
One other thought...check your mag catch/release for deformities....also that the well is clear.......
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't seem to reproduce it with the factory mag!!

Hmmm

Oh BTW if this helps this is how I reproduce the jam....

With empty gun and empty mag insterted.

pull back on Trigger dropping trigger.

Depress slide stop and rack the slide keeping the trigger depressed.

Now with the slide returned release the trigger......

Now I can pull the trigger all I want and nothing will happen!!

Then if I hit the bottom of the mag I can hear a small "click" and I can pull the trigger to fire the gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2002 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thats a new one on me, Stormbringer. Refer that over to the gunsmithing department here and maybe Kurt can pull another rabbit out of his hat. I make sure my .45s work with all magazines I own...including C/Ms, they do, 100%. Its hard enough to fix guns over the internet plus I can't visualize what could be causing that problem. I can only guess that the trigger bow is too tight around those magazines, causing the sear to not reset? Check sides of offending magazines for trigger bow rubbing. At least its something to look at?
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 3:19:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Did you have this apart?...it almost sounds like a hangup where the disconnector-sear-spring come together....or the spring is on the wrong side of the disconnector.....somebody has to get in there.......
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 4:13:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys I will check it out.  I have a gun club meeting tonight so I will have to check into it later...

Link Posted: 3/30/2002 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can't reproduce the problem with the factory mag then you may want to look your other mags over very carefully and then you may find there is nothing wrong with your piece! See how they differ in your factory mag as this would be where i would start being critical before jacking with the extractor,ejector ect. The extractor just grabs hold of the case rim as the slide travels back,the ejector just stops the rearward travel of the case and causes it to do a one and a half gainner over your right shoulder! these things either work or don't work! they don't turn them selves on and off!  Its probably your mags.. KISS    keep it simple  Maybe so maybe not .  just a thought bob cole  Most of the trouble you get with an extractor is when somebody drops a loose single round in the chamber then lets go of the slide stop and the slide and extractor ram home at three times the distance the bolt face(slide face) and extractor would normally travel if they picked the round up from the mag! It just wasn't made to do this . allways round in mag rack slide, not my advise i thing a guy named browning sugested this!     good luck bob cole
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
If the grip safety is hanging...it will act like that.....you need to get into it.....
Link Posted: 4/2/2002 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Are you shooting 200 grain SWCs. If so the last round is sliding forward with the 7th round goes into chamber. I like Pro form mags, I too, have had problems with the McCormicks, so I don't use them. To each his own, they seem to work fine for a lot of other people. Most feeding problems can be traced to mags and extractors. Make sure the extractor is beveled (radius) properly, bottom and hook.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top