Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2004 3:42:01 PM EDT
Alright,
Since the evil AWB is dead and regular cap mags are available again, I've been pondering getting a "Tupperware" gun again.  I had a Glock 19 and it was fine, but I then got the 1911 bug.  Then I really got into the "classics" and traded my G19 for a Browning Hi Power and I love it.  Anyhoo, I've been thinking of getting a plastic gun again.  

First off, should I or shouldn't I?  (Not like I don't know what the answer's going to be... )

If I do, I'm not sure if I want another Glock again.  What are y'all's thoughts on the H&K USP series and the Springfield XD's?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I own 3 H&Ks & won't part with any of them, so I'm biased there.  But I've owned Glocks in .45acp & .357Sig & sold them both. Go with perhaps one of their expert or tactical models?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm Browning HP has like a 13 rd. mag right? Use that. Thats about the same as a glock 19. i really like the new XDs though
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Just do it
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Walther P-99's. I got one in a .40 cal and love it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just do it

What he said.

Danny
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:35:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Yuppers  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a Glock 19
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
How long ago did Glock start selling their model 17's in the U.S.?

some 15 to 20 years ago?

look at all of the other guns that now have a polymer frames S&W, Beretta, Bushmaster, and many others.

I like to shoot my firearms and not have to baby doll them.  I used to have a Springfield Arms 40 goverment model.  It shure was good looking, but I was alway worried about rust on it.  I would clean it for 30 mins evertime I shot it.

I have both a 19 & 26, I love them both, and do not have to baby them like a blued gun.

good luck,

Badredfish
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Well,
I'm apprehensive about getting another Glock.  I had a 19 and while it was accurate and never jammed, the Hi Power that I traded it for has never jammed, is accurate and has a better trigger.  

So far the HK is in the "lead".  I've heard great things about the XD's though.  Anyone have one?

Now I know that Glocks have lots of mags available, but what's the availability of "hi-cap" mags for the HK and the XD?

As to the "Why" question.  I guess when it really comes down to it....because I can.  Good enough as any reason I could think of..

Rich
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the HK, although I'd suggest looking at the USP45F.  If got the 9mm fullsize and the .45.  The gun "just feels right," in 45.  Besides, with the recent drop in the price of standard capacity magazines, you can't afford NOT to get it....  
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Just don't trade that Browning hi power!
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:59:10 PM EDT
[#13]
OH don't worry.  The only place my Hi Power is going is to Don Williams someday for some custom work.

Rich
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well,
I'm apprehensive about getting another Glock.  I had a 19 and while it was accurate and never jammed, the Hi Power that I traded it for has never jammed, is accurate and has a better trigger.  

So far the HK is in the "lead".  I've heard great things about the XD's though.  Anyone have one?

Now I know that Glocks have lots of mags available, but what's the availability of "hi-cap" mags for the HK and the XD?

As to the "Why" question.  I guess when it really comes down to it....because I can.  Good enough as any reason I could think of..

Rich

I have an XD that I have been putting 200-300 rounds thru every weekend for the last 9 months... not a single malfunction.  Maybe I will get around to cleaning it one day.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#15]
XD.  the hicaps are available now for it.  i've put many rounds through mine with only one failure.  the slide didn't return forward all the way.  that only happened one time, and probably because i had stopped cleaning it.    
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Glocks don't come in tupperware anymore
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:30:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well,

Rich

I have an XD that I have been putting 200-300 rounds thru every weekend for the last 9 months... not a single malfunction.  Maybe I will get around to cleaning it one day.

"high caps" are now available... all new xds are being sold with high caps... there is a dealer over on xdtalk.com that is selling the high caps for just over 20$ each shipped.  

Before the ban expired you could also take a .40 cal mag and put 15 rounds of 9mm in it...

If you buy the .40 cal you can get the 9mm drop in barrel for around 120 bucks and be able to use cheap 9mm for practice... no modifications needed... just drop the barrel in and go.

Like i said... I LOVE my XD.

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:37:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Id say go for it I own a G21 and a Kimber BP Ten II.  I like both, been wanting to change the G21 sights though

I also own a XD40, had finish issues, but its a very nice gun, even had a Glock 19 ownder say he liked it more then his G19
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Ok,
Good stuff so far.  Now, I've heard all the "Ka-Boom" stories pertaining to the .40 Glocks.  Whether they're true or not, it's enough to turn me off.

In the USP and XD lines, are there any caliber/size combos that seem to balance/fit better?  You know how some combos just seem to be "right".  Sorta' like when getting my SASS gear, I found the 5.5" barrel in .45LC to balance just perfectly (as opposed to the .357 5.5" seemed muzzle heavy).

It seems that for cheap practice, the 9 and the .40 are neck and neck.  Heck just this weekend Dick's flyer was advertising the UMC 9mm and .40 for $5.99 a box.  So there doesn't seem to be a big cost difference anymore.  Is one more accurate/reliable than the other?

I know of the USP accuracy etc.  How does the XD stack up against the others in that dept.?

Thanks again
Rich
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:56:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I did the same thing had a G19, traded it for a BHP, shot the BHP so well I got rid of the G19.  Then CCW reform went through, realized that the cocked hammer on the BHP wasn't the best for concealing under colthing, bought a G23 then bought a G19 since it's identical to the G23 and uses the cheap 9mm that I already have tons of.

Glocks are great for concealed carry, totally clean with nothing to hang up or tear your clothing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:12:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Rich,

If you haven't shot a USP do so before you buy!  I have two, a full size and a compact and I can't hit shit with them.  Even though they feel good in my hand I'm not very accurate with them.  I'm much better with my Glocks and don't shoot my USPs any more.  My wife shoots the USP9c now so it's not going to waste.

As far as ammo goes, Wal-Mart sells WWB for $10.96 per 100 rounds so you can burn through a case for under $115 including tax!
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:26:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Maybe he'll be along here at some point to weigh in since he's all XD-happy . . . but my husband owns an XD-9 and really likes it.  I don't think the recoil is that bad, and it's a nice size and weight.  It seems to be high quality.  He hasn't had a lot of opportunity to shoot it yet since he bought it right before our 3-month old son was born, but he was smiling a lot when he came back from the range after trying it out, so I think that's a good sign.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:04:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Stick to the .45s and 9mms.
I have 2 of each. Luv 'em.
The only Glock I dumped was a .40.

CKMorley
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:20:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Why the hell not???
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Man go with the USP I own a couple and will never get rid of them. I have owned Glock and I have got rid of everyone of them.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Stick to the .45s and 9mms.
I have 2 of each. Luv 'em.
The only Glock I dumped was a .40.

CKMorley

+1

I don't understand the appeal of the .40. Go 9mm, or go .45. .40 seems like a comprimise round to me. And a crappy comprimise at that.

Oh, and go with an XD. You'll be glad you did. Especially if you like your HiPower.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:56:25 PM EDT
[#29]
So far I'm thinking I'm going to go with an XD.  I'm thinking of an XD .40.  That way, if I want to shoot 9mm or .357 Sig, all I have to do is swap barrels.  Thoughts?

rich
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 7:47:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I own a USP and a Glock. I don't carry them or shoot them much. I want a P99.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:23:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok,.
So I'm definitely getting an XD (unless I handle a P99 and fall in love).  Now, do I go .40 or 9?

Rich
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Personally I like the usp 9mm compact and .40 the best out of the 'tupper ware guns' that I've shot. the USP C 9mm beats the glock 19 in everything but capacity, the glock hold 15 vs the 13 rounders now available for the usp. Not sure on the .40's capacity though, haven't shot one (but the frame is supposedly identical to the 9mm's).

Its a nice gun, but I would still pack a officer or commander 1911 over any 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
the USP C 9mm beats the glock 19 in everything but capacity,

I definitely don't want to turn this into a USP vs. Glock pissing match, but how can you make a statement like that objectively?

Granted, the 19 is .04" wider and .04" longer than the USP9C.  For those few hundredths of an inch, you get two extra rounds, almost half an inch of extra barrel, more than a couple of ounces less weight (which compensates nicely for the extra ammo), a lower bore axis, fewer parts to break, and a MUCH cheaper price.  Ok, you get ubercrappy factory sights, but you can afford Trijicons and a nice (NICE) holster for the price difference.  Between the two (for me), accuracy is about the same and the triggers on both are a damn sight shy of a good 1911 or revolver.

The only real reasons I see to pick the USP Compact over the 19 is that the USP simply works for you and the 19 doesn't.  Perfectly fine reason, all right, but you can't apply your hands and impressions to everyone.

Remember, the pistol is only one piece of the shooting system.

Oh, and does anyone know how many rounds a standard-capacity Five-seveN magazine holds?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#34]
A 57 standard cap holds 20 rounds.  Also, I love my HK's.  I didn't mind my Glocks but I ended up getting rid of all of them.  Only own Sig and HK now as far as pistols go.  Well, I do have a Walther P22 and can......  Any of the major manufacturer pistols are a good choice.  I just can't shoot a Glock well.  However, I'm a sergeon with HK and Sig!  Ok, I'm not that good......  Also, if your gonna go 40 cal, remember that a full-size USP was designed for 40 cal, not designed for 9mm and scaled up.  That's one of the reasons Glock had some early problems with the 40 cal guns.  I try and stay with what a weapon was designed for.  I had 9mm Glocks because it just "felt" right.  Same way with 40 cal in the USP......
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 10:19:02 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the USP C 9mm beats the glock 19 in everything but capacity,

I definitely don't want to turn this into a USP vs. Glock pissing match, but how can you make a statement like that objectively?

I did word that wrong, my personal opinion is based on target shooting with it. It was identical in comfort in the hand to my 2nd gen glock19 and the barrel length made no difference in my accuracy. The weight also didn't matter since I wasn't trying to pack it, but from the shape of the pistol it would be hard to iwb the usp without it printing. The big advantage I left out of the glock was the pointability because of the low bore axis.

Also, my experience is a bit limited in the USP C vs. the glock19. I own a 2nd gen 19 and have shot 200 rounds through a usp compact with my 19 there to compare. I still want a Compact with a .40 slide and a .357 barrel for more ammo options.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:21:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Wow, unless I skipped over it I can't believe no one has mentioned the Sig SP2340.  I have it in the .40 and it is incredibly accurate. Just another option to the tupperware guns.  Best of luck in whatever you choose.

Albert
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:31:50 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Personally I like the usp 9mm compact and .40 the best out of the 'tupper ware guns' that I've shot. the USP C 9mm beats the glock 19 in everything but capacity,

I'm going to respectfully disagree.  I own(ed) both: USP9c & USP9f (sold) and a Glock G19 & G17 and I can't hit shit with my USPs.  They are nice but I can't shoot them nearly as well as my Glocks.  I have witnesses too that have seen me shoot USPs for years and the day I bought my G19 they said I instantly turned into a better handgun shooter!  I guess it really boils down to the individual but if I had known then what I know now I would have never bought my H&Ks.  

Trumpet - If you haven't shot a P99 you really need to before you buy one.  I absolutely love them but the loooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggggg trigger pull is a deal breaker for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:17:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Can the P99 trigger be adjusted so it's not so llllloooooooooonnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg?

Rich
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#39]
buy both!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Check out this site for P-99 FAQ's
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#41]
I have Glocks and HK.  Love them both for their intended purposes.  Used to have Browning Hi-Po, Belgium made.  Wish I had it back but won't get rid of anything to do so.

ARFCOM answer - get both!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Buy all.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:13:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Have the SA XD9 and 40, both in 4" Service model.
Use both for IDPA and usually do quite well, especialy with the 9mm

Go check out  www.xdtalk.com

Gotta love the "Croatian Sensation"
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Ok,.
So I'm definitely getting an XD (unless I handle a P99 and fall in love).  Now, do I go .40 or 9?

Rich

XD is a very good choice.

I bought when they were only available in 9mm (they were still the hs2000 then). Since you can just do a barrel swap in the 40 and be shooting 9mm, I'd go with the .40 and have the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Just get a 1911 and be done with it...

Oops, wrong thread

Seriously, If I'm going to make a choice I'd want to have some range time with either before I decide on one. I always thought Glocks were the best but when I handled a USP 45F my opinion changed. While the pistol might be bigger and blockier, it might still fit your hand better. And that is all what matters...your hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top