Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2011 4:06:14 PM EDT
If you have one, what do you think? And most importantly, is it a pile?
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought one when they first came out and they had major frame problems.  The gun jammed on every round I fed it.  Over 5 different types/grain/brands of ammo.  Had two magazines.  It didn't matter which I used.  I ended up having the store I bought it from send it back.  I thought since they are located only 50 miles from here it may take a couple of weeks.  A month later I called to find out when I would be getting my repaired pistol back.  The guy actually laughed at me.  Told me they were on a two month back log.  I was pissed that he was laughing and told him in a pretty un-friendly way that this should have never happened and that their quality and quality control sucked.  I went back to the shop and worked out a deal, basically selling them back the gun at a loss and using the money to buy a Beretta 92fs.  Not because I actually wanted one.  I wanted something small.  But the 92 was on sale and they worked a little more on the price in an attempt to make me happy.  A guy who just opened a shop here in town said he had the same problem.  He waited for the gun to be fixed.  When he got it back, the barrel cracked on the 5th shot.  I'm through with Kel-Tec.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 3:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I like mine quite a bit. For the price it is a great gun. Trigger takes some getting used to, and it has some serious bark and bite due to the size, but accuracy is decent for what it is. I wouldn't shoot at anything past 7 yards or so, but that's not what it's designed for. Good little gun. Only issue I have some times is my thumb accidentally hit the slide stop, but that is operator error.

Couple of things I would suggest, polish the feed ramp, use a pinky extender, and add a Hogue grip.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:17:21 AM EDT
[#3]
I've talked to several people who have them and like them.

I went with the slightly bigger (and higher capacity) P-11 and I have no complaints. It's be very reliable and it conceals quite well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#4]
My friend had one of the first ones and it was a pile. It jammed so much that he couldn't trust it. Now he didn't have any frame issues, but I heard that was a problem.

I really liked that gun and wish I could have bought it off him at the time to see if I could fix it, but he sold it too quickly. So, I decided to buy one a year ago. It was the hard chrome and the newer version. It ate everything I fed it including hollow points. Mags are pretty cheap for them too. Overall I liked the gun, very good EDC gun if you ask me. It's so light that you can forget it's there. But with being so light weight comes a lot of recoil. Be ready when you shoot one because it can be a handfull. I foolishly sold mine because I was impatient and wanted something else.

My opinion is they are great little guns.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#5]
lots of opinions and experience here-

http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=38&t=84867
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like it does what it is supposed to do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one. It is light and easy to conceal. It has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger. I've not shot it much. Recoil isn't that bad, but I am used to recoil. (I have shot a 14"bbl Contender in .444 Marlin, that is recoil !) Having said that, I just can't stand a gun that the slide rattles in the frame all the time. About 1/16 to 1/8 in. Doesn't seem to effect anything but me. It drives me crazy. I have it traded for another gun, probably equally with problems, but it doesent rattle, a Taurus 709 slim. I have read bad things about them too. I just get tired of carrying a doublestack mag gun and want something lighter.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one.  It fills it's niche nicely.

Break it in well.  Fluff and Buff to make it nicer....
Overall, for low money, it's a decent little gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
My son has one, and it works fine. I prefer my P-11, which I have shot and carried for more than ten years. I find the P11 easier to hang onto, and I don't think it gives up much as far as concealment. My gun is an early serial number, and had some teething problems. KT fixed it quickly (with no laughing), and it's been flawless ever since.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine's fine enough. As others have said, it's highly concealable, but not quite a true pocket gun.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one and have not had any problems with it. I know the first batch had some problems but after that they were fixed. Most people that I know that have any problems have had great customer service, most of the problems friends had were with the early PF-9s.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
picked one up on a whim yesterday afternoon.  the gf said she wanted to use it as a carry piece so i got to swipe my credit card and that was that.  made a range trip this afternoon.  no complaints here. put ~50 rds of WWB through it and 10 rds of Hornady Critical Defense.  Ate it all no problems.  I was a lil worried the gf would not like it because of the recoil.  She didn't care for it much at first but as she shot it, she became more and more comfortable with it.  I'd say the recoil is similar to an aluminum framed snubby.  I'm gonna order a Hogue rubber wrap for it and be done.  She's happy with it so that means i'm happy with it.  7+1 rds of 9mm at 13 ozs unloaded is hard to beat.  I intend to run another 500 rds through it or so but the initial report is it's gtg.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Pile.  Run. Seriously.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
KelTec's service if horrible, and the pistols I've delt with are not well made.  I would avoid them, and look at something like a Kahr CW-9.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:04:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pile.  Run. Seriously.

What was wrong with yours? Didn't KT make good on any warranty work?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#16]
PROs:  It's very light, very small, easy to conceal with nothing but shorts and a shirt on, great customer support.

CONs:  It's not all that accurate, crummy trigger, and mine has been prone to FTE's since I've had it. It's actually heading back to kel-tec this week to see if they can fix the problem.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
KelTec's service if horrible, and the pistols I've delt with are not well made.  I would avoid them, and look at something like a Kahr CW-9.

BS on that....
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#18]
It is a 50/50 chance you will get one that works okay most of the time, or either a huge pile of steaming shit.
I had the huge pile of steaming shit. FTF, FTE, would dump the mag out of the gun on the first round with a factory pinky extension installed. I then rebuild teh gun from the ground up. New springs, extractor, mag catch, recoil spring and gude rod. Know what happened when I replaced the parts with all new factory parts? It was an even bigger piece of shit. Still spit mags out on the first round, still FTF, FTE, just a huge pile of shit. DO NOT buy this gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

BS on that....

+1    My experience with them was excellent.  JD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top