Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2004 4:15:38 PM EDT
Here's a target from today's range session.  This is what I did:

- Gun used - Kimber Pro Carry Stainless in .45 ACP
- Target out to about 5 yards
- Gun held at a 45 degree angle towards the ground, finger outside trigger guard (I think this is called the low ready position)
- In one quick movement I raised the gun to the target and put finger on the trigger
- I fired as soon as I thought I had a decent sight picture, I didn't take time to "aim"

My goal was to practice quick, accurate single shots.  I'm not happy with my group, and especially not happy with the flier outside the circle.
I think the entire group should be half the size it is.  This is a 9 shot group, three are in the large hole in the upper left area.  The shot in the
bullseye was the third or fourth shot.

This is me shooting one handed, right hand (strong side), at about 7 yards.  I am attempting aimed, but rapid fire.  As soon as the sights came
down to rest on the center of the target I fired again.  The squares on the target denote 1 inch lines.

This is me shooting one handed, left hand (weak side) at about 7 yards.  I don't like how I have two or three shots off the paper on the right
side.  I don't practice much left handed, so I guess I need to start.

Any comments (useful), hints, ideas appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
  Dude, I know people who couldn't hit the target frame at five yards....LOT'S OF PEOPLE.  You aren't bullseye shooting you are practicing fast marksmanship...you are doing fine...just keep practicing and you'll be doing better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
use 2 hands,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,keep practicing with one hand though..... your focus should be on the front site as you squeeze the trigger. Think of every shot as the only one that you have.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's a suggestion:

Practice until you can put all your shots in to a 3"x5" card, slow fire.  Then speed things up gradually, but not so fast that you start blowing shots.

Once you get to where you can put an entire mag in that card very quickly, you are fine.

Then start over at a farther distance.

Repeat as often as possible.

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are pushing yourself  and going as fast as you can I'd say you are doing pretty good.  When you are shooting rapidly but don't give a time frame it's a little hard to judge over the internet.

Kent
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:33:10 PM EDT
[#7]
The shots to the target with the large red dot took about a second from the time I moved to the moment I pulled the trigger.

The one handed targets each took about 15 seconds to empty the mag.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Minute Of Bad Guy is OK.  Be smooth, start slow and work up on your speed.  Try to get that flash sight picture and good trigger press.  It will take thousands of rounds to get to the point that your muscle memory will kick in.  Keep your fundamentals, and just work on being smooth.  Speed will come later.

Train like you'll fight, and you'll fight like you train.

Good on you.

Beeg, bad +1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top