Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 2:10:26 PM EDT
Ok, so I just started carrying my 5'' Kimber TLE. I shoot the gun very accurately and feel comfortable w/ the large caliber.  But I am in a little pain.  When I walk, the sharp point of the grip stabs me in the side, and when I sit, the grip hits me in the side and feels even worse than when standing or walking.  Does anyone else have a similar problem??  Is this something that will take some getting used to, or am I just screwed, lol??   Thanks for the replies.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the what holster and where do you carry it on your waistband?

I have a Don Hume Double 9 cocket and locked carry holster that I wear behind my left hip. Never noticed any pain.

Check out Don Hume. They retail for about $30.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:01:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
You have to find a holster/belt combo that works for you.  if it isn't comfortable you won't wear it.  If you don't wear it you won't have it when you need it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Sparks VM-2.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#10]
It would probably be a good idea to mention here how tall you are, what your body build is, weight, left handed or right handed etc...

Lots of people carry 1911s comfortably (I used to carry one every day too) but if you post the above info then other guys here who are built like you can tell you how/where/with what they carry their 1911s to help you out.  

Also, visit your local gunshop.  Most of htem will let you bring in your weapon (unloaded of course) and try on various holsters/belts and such.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:14:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Carring a gun is not comfortable, its comforting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Carring a gun is not comfortable, its comforting.

+1 Amen to that brother!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Let me suggest the Blade-Tech IWB holster. It has a raised panel on the side that protects your flesh/clothing from the sharp edges of the gun. It bulges just a tad more than a regular leather holster, but I think it is extremely comfortable and can still be concealed under a T-Shirt.

BTW --

You don't have to spend 250 bucks on a good belt and holster. An Eagle Industries BDU belt is plenty tough enough to carry a 1911, and Blade Tech's holsters are superb. Grand total: 80 bucks.

Course, these options are nowhere near as nice looking as the leather stuff.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#14]
One other comment if you are using an IWB holster I personally recommend have a pair of pants one size larger to accomodate the gun/holster setup. Unless you have a little extra padding to cushion it. Even still, after 8, 10 or even 12 hours of wear it can be uncomfortable no matter what. I have a pretty un-padded waistline and I have to put my IWB rig just behind my strong side hipbone or it k-i-l-l-s me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok, so I just started carrying my 5'' Kimber TLE. I shoot the gun very accurately and feel comfortable w/ the large caliber.  But I am in a little pain.  When I walk, the sharp point of the grip stabs me in the side, and when I sit, the grip hits me in the side and feels even worse than when standing or walking.  Does anyone else have a similar problem??  Is this something that will take some getting used to, or am I just screwed, lol??   Thanks for the replies.  

Screwed...That's why other 1911 models are made.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to carry a full size 1911 everyday. Starting out, I bought inexpensive holsters to try
in different carry positions; such as behind the hip, small of the back, etc. I mean like cheap
Uncle Mike nylon holsters with the metal money clips. I would would wear these until I found
what was most comfortable to me. I realized strong side, behind the hip with body guard
(the part that goes between the rear of slide/hammer portion of the gun & my love handle).
I then started looking for a good quality holster in that style. I also quickly purchased a
pair of smooth wood grips for summer carry when wearing a jacket etc, looks odd, so I could
easily carry under a cotton button up shirt. With this type of shirt, you can blouse the shirt-
tail out to aid in concealment. Elastisized golf type shirts are impossible for me to carry under.
They print way to bad.
 I had a friend who bought a $200 holster, just to find that it did not work for him. You may
end up spending $200 for a holster, but just be careful how you get there...
im me if you want more detail on my saga for the perfect carry holster.
I had some interesting experiments to get me there.

Good luck! Johnny C!

P.S. I started with small of the back, about 10-12 hours per day. I had a bad back ache for
the first 2 weeks or so, but that did go away.

+1 moxnix comment, & the Blade Techs are really good holsters....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've got a Sparks VM-2.

Where on your belt do you carry it?

Have you tried wearing a T-Shirt under the holster?  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#19]
it's not the grip panels at all, actually, I just installed some wonderful alumagrips on there. They're wonderful. It's the sharp butt end of the mainspring housing.  It's awfully pointy and since I wear it canted, it jabs my side when I sit down.  I mean I really want to wear this gun, cause I'm very comfortable with the caliber and shoot it extremely well.  But, I don't know if I can if it's going to be this much of a pain.  I'm really down in the dumps over this.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/8/2004 5:41:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Where on you belt do your wear it?  (12 noon is your zipper, 6 o'clock is the center of your back.)

Are your pants too tight?  You need to make room for the gun.

This is the rig I carry:

Brommeland Max Con V
This picture shows it right about where I wear it.  About 3:30-4:00 o'clock

I wear it behind my hip and in front of my buttock.  I never know it's there except when I sit to drive when the wrap around seats in my car push that side of my body slightly forward.  I do take it off for long trips but, 1- 1 1/2 hours is no problem.  (Well o.k., I do notice the weight, but nothing pokes)

Kent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top