Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2004 9:43:02 AM EDT
I am thinking of trading my Beretta 92 stainless Brigadier in on another gun. I've always wanted a 10mm, but I can't decide which one to go with.

Should I get a Glock 20, or go with a 1911 variation of the 10mm?

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Go with the Glock. That way if it breaks you won't be out any big dollars. Not trying to be a smartass.

MT
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I am tempted to go with the Glock. The only thing that frightens me is the recoil/trigger/grip of the gun might be similar to a polymer .40S&W Smith and Wesson. I shot one a couple weeks ago and it was the most god awful feeling pistol I have ever shot.  

I have not fired a Glock in at least three years, so the memory is kind of distant.

Guess I ought to just try one of each out, huh?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a G20 and I can't think of another way to go with the 20.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Please do not buy one without trying them out. these are two very different pistols. chances are you may not like one of them. i really wanted a glock until i shot one. good guns, i just didn't shoot them well at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
ok after shooting a G20 and a S&W 10mm.. let me tell you something the Glock G20 is a dream. The forst 10 mm i shot was the S&W and after that experience i was really turned off  to that caliber. It was nasty. Then i had a chance to shoot a G20. The recoil is next to nothing compared to that S&W. Very controlable. very comfortable. very accurate. It was actually fun to shoot.  10mm is a bit expensive to plink with so i doubt i'll ever buy a G20 but, if i was going to purchase a 10mm i would not hesitate buying the glock. Not too mention with a Glock there are so many custom options that would make that model even more fun to shoot. JMO.

J
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Can't speak for the 10mm Glock as I have never shot one or even handled one, but a friend of mine does have a 10mm Kimber and it shoots very well, and has yet to give him any problems whatsoever.

I say either way you can't go wrong.  Not a Glock guy, but the 19 and 20 are two that I would surely not mind in my collection.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy Both!

I did.  The G20 favors people with size L or XL hands.  As described above, it takes a large amount of the bite out of the magnum recoil.  If you're going to load em with hot ammo,  a barrel with a tighter chamber  than OEM is recommended.  I like KKM,  inexpensive and a great company to buy from.

1911: Colt Delta Elites work great.  Be sure to check the frame to slide fit, and that the left frame rail is removed above the slide stop.  Read here: www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/10tech.html

I highly recommend using an EGW square-bottomed firing pin stop and Ed Brown full length guide rod on 10mm 1911s.  The square stop slows the slide down enough that shock buffs last a long time, even with hot ammo.   The FLGR keeps the recoil spring working like it should.  18.5lb Wilson or Wolf springs are plenty; no need for 20+lb springs.

Enjoy!  10mm is a great cartridge, especially if you handload.  If not, look at doubletapammo.com for the good stuff.

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I went with a Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm.  You know it a 10 from the recall however it is not at all unpleasent.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:57:55 PM EDT
[#9]
GLOCK !
'Cause it's BETTER than a 1911
Just kiddin', I couldn't resist!

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
ok after shooting a G20 and a S&W 10mm.. let me tell you something the Glock G20 is a dream. The forst 10 mm i shot was the S&W and after that experience i was really turned off  to that caliber. It was nasty. Then i had a chance to shoot a G20. The recoil is next to nothing compared to that S&W. Very controlable. very comfortable. very accurate. It was actually fun to shoot.  10mm is a bit expensive to plink with so i doubt i'll ever buy a G20 but, if i was going to purchase a 10mm i would not hesitate buying the glock. Not too mention with a Glock there are so many custom options that would make that model even more fun to shoot. JMO.

J

I experienced just the opposite. I shoot my 1066 very well, recoil is on par with a 45acp, fit and finish are very good, and it has NEVER jammed for any reason. I would buy another.

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#11]
A local LEO agency where (Clay County Sheriffs Office) used to issue G20s.  They switched to G21s due to ammo costs.  

I had the chance to chit-chat with a CCSO Deputy recently in a local gunshop, and I asked him about it.  

He was pissed (and apparently was not alone in his feelings) cuz he really loved the G20.  He said he also loved the G21, and it was a fine weapon, but he really felt strongly about the 10mm as an LEO caliber.  

In his words "As good as the .45 is, it still doesn't compare the the 10mm".

Personally I have never shot the 10mm, but I sure would like to. Sounds like a helluva round!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#12]
glock for 10mm

1911 for .45acp

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top