Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2004 6:54:40 AM EDT
I read here that some people, either at the end of the day, or for other reasons, will unchamber the chambered round as a habit.

I see plenty of arguments why this is bad, especially for rounds like .357 Sig where the bullet can
actually get pushed back further with each chambering.  Also, there is alot of wear and tear with
each unchambering, so I'd hope that round is not re-used too many times in a row.

So why unchamber, other than long term storage.  am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I never leave a weapon unattended with a round in the chamber. If its not 'on me' then its habit to clear the chamber. Mostly a safety thing; my greatest concern is someone (especially a little person) picking up a firarm and pulling the trigger. Even tough we all intend to secure our weapons, mistakes happen and an empty chamber is just one more precaution. I generally shoot my carry mag every month or so just to rotate the ammo...

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:15:54 AM EDT
[#3]
yes... pull the trigger... each time I go to the range, I empty what is in the pistol.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
nope, my carry gun has had the same round in the chamber for at least a month now.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
nope, my carry gun has had the same round in the chamber for at least a month now.

you don't shoot your carry gun much huh?

J
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 1:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Rusty, I wont leave a loaded weapon around for the reason he stated and also so that if someone should get in while we are out, not that the dog wouldnt eat them first, but I dont want to provide them with a loaded weapon of their own. I unload each night and the pistol and mag are by the bed. I havent had any trouble with bullet set back(.45) since I stopped allowing the slide to load the mag from slide lock using the slide stop. I just pull the slide back and let it cycle, and it hasnt been a problem. The round doesnt really get to beat up, but I just rotate that one out once or twice a month when I think of it. I shoot those rounds in practice and never had any trouble with them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:09:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry in condition one and everything goes to condition 3 when the holster comes off. It's a safety habit I got into a long time ago.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I clear it when I store it at the end of the day, or sometimes in the middle when I'm at work and it goes into a locked drawer. The drawer is just part of my habbit, but I figure it doesn't hurt  since if I need it and I have the time to get it, I probably have enough time and cover to rack the slide.

I've gotten into the habbit of loading the first round back in by placing it into the barrel with the slide back, and following the slide forward until the extractor is stopped on the back of the casing. Then since its a USP, I push in on the rear part of the extractor so it slips over the round and closes. Saves me the worry of bullet set back from loading and unloading practices.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I always clear the chamber when putting the pistol away as a part of my personal safety plan.  I've read other responses indicating that some don't clear the chamber.  That's fine with me.  Everyone's plan will be different.  As long as everyone is following good gun safety procedures there shouldn't be a problem.  Even though I clear the chamber, everyone with access to my guns is instructed to always treat the gun as if it is loaded, and to visibly check the chamber for themselves when handling.

I would like more info on the .357 Sig being pushed further into the cartridge.  I have heard this is true for most ammunition, but is it more common or more pronounced for the .357 Sig?  I try to make a habit of rotating the top round, but admittantly do not do it as often as I should.  Perhaps I should rotate the round (and all the ammo) more often.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes  If it is holstered on my belt for carry, it is cond 1.  All others, cond 3 or unloaded.  On reload and white box ball it will push back for me sooner or later.  The crimped carry loads I use will not before it gets shot.  I shot some beat up dry practice ammo today that had a mix of long and shorts hoping to get some malfunction practice but it all ran without a hitch.  Close to 200 rds.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:28:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Mine stays cond. 1 all the time along with a few others.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:20:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

J

carry gun is a 3" XD, range gun is a 4" XD
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I only have a round in the chamber when my USP is on my belt.  When I get home I jack out the round.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, I do.  Generally on a daily basis.

Carrying isn't legal inside the University of Idaho, so I can't legally carry for most of my day.  I'm also not one to leave my firearms loaded and unattended.  This is a college town.  Who knows what could happen.  As such, when I'm not home, I lock up my pistol.  That involves locking the slide to the rear and clearing the weapon.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:24:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

J

I was just thinking the same thing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:48:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 9:53:33 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J

I was just thinking the same thing.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J

carry gun is a 3" XD, range gun is a 4" XD

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#19]
The only time I ever unload my main carry blasters is when they are going to be cleaned.

I do eject the magazine and make sure it is full, and do a press check each time I get ready to carry, but I do not constantly eject the round in the chamber of my pistol. This is hard on the rounds (and since I use HP ammo it is epxensive) and it can hinder reliability. I need my pistols loaded and ready, so I leave them that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top