Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2004 7:43:28 PM EDT
I picked up a Kahr PM9 as a "pocket" gun.  It is super small and has been reliable, but I hate carrying in my pocket.  I've tried a pocket holster and it just doesn't feel good.  Without a holster the weapon flops around when I walk.  Think I'm gonna try ankle carry.  Got a Sig P232 two-tone I'm gonna try with a Fobus ankle rig.  See how that works with business casual......  I know what you're gonna say......  "380, isn't that a pop gun?"  Well, with the right ammo it will meet FBI specs.  The Hornady XTP 90 grainers will consistantly penetrate to a 11.7" average and expand to aprox .5" in bare gel.  With denim it penetrates a little deaper and doesn't open as much.  Anyway, if I can carry something bigger when I can.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 8:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was not going to say that at all, I was going to say that ankle holster carry is the slowest possible of all draw options, Just go IWB.

Ditto.  Not to mention that having the gun release from the holster without you even noticing is definitely a problem.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 10:09:28 PM EDT
[#4]
If the price ever comes into line , I would pick up a Rohrbaugh R-9 but at almost $900 ....
I'll stick with a regular compact for now
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:58:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont like pocket carry either. I find I'm more self conscious even with my little Baby Browning in my pocket than I am with my Commander and a double reload under a dress shirt. I have a SIG P230 and a Galco Ankle Glove ankle holster for it. So far, its the most comfortable(If you can call any of them comfortable) and concealable ankle holster I've found. Its very secure and even if the thumb break were to pop open, which it never has, the holster is still a snug fit on the gun and requires a tug on it to get it out. I'm not saying it wont fly out on a dead run, but it wont just flop out if the strap is popped.  The ankle holster has its uses, and can be handy in the car, but with some of the tuckable or shirt type holsters available today, I would probably choose one of them over it. I think with even a good one, you will still be constantly adjusting it and fiddling with it as it will get uncomfortable. You will also feel like your walking funny until you get used to it. If you want something that is comfortable, especially with a lighter pistol and is easily and totally concealable under a tucked in dress shirt, check out the Kramer Confidant undershirt holster. Its not the fastest to get to, but no slower than a belly band and is more comfortable. I have carried my Combat Commander in one pocket and a double reload in the other(there are two holsters on the shirt) under a tucked in dress shirt and no one was the wiser. It is a little heavy with that type of gun and two P230's are a lot more comfortable. You do want to wear a full cut shirt and not a fitted shirt with it though. Also get it one size smaller that you normally wear, that way the gun stays snug to your body and wont move around.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 4:24:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the ideas on the under shirt holsters.  I can't go with a normal IWB holster as I'm tucking my shirt.  Two P232's in the holster sounds interesting.....  Also, I've got a pair of P239's and a P225 I could use for such duty.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:02:15 AM EDT
[#7]
here is your answer the to tucked in shirt problem.
galco skyops

J
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I'll try a Skyops as well.  I'm thinking the 239 would be best for that.....
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
galco skyops

J

Picked up a Skyops for use with my 239's.  Also went ahead and got a Fobus ankle 232 holster.  Worst case I can use the 232 as a BUG with the ankle setup.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
galco skyops

J

Picked up a Skyops for use with my 239's.  Also went ahead and got a Fobus ankle 232 holster.  Worst case I can use the 232 as a BUG with the ankle setup.

personally i prefer the Uncle mike's ankle rig over the fobus. Just seem to fit me better and it rode more  comfortable on my ankle, plus it has a retension strap. JMO

J
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:40:06 PM EDT
[#11]
If I were to illegally carry concealed here in wisconsin, I might go with something like this:

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I dont like carrying autos in a pocket, no matter how small.

Now my S&W Airweight feels like it was DESIGNED for the pocket.

+1

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#14]
I carry my PM9 in an Alessi pocket holster for a grab it and go situation.  It's OK-barely.  

I'm awaiting the delivery of my Sparks VM2 w/clips which allows you to tuck in a shirt and is about the best solution around.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The only thing that belongs in a pocket is money!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The only thing that belongs in a pocket is money!

And a good folder.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I like pocket carry.

I carry my Kahr MK40 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster 80% of the time (when I can get away with a belt rig, I carry a Glock 27). The pocket rig works great for me, as I often have to remove it when entering "no weapons" areas (including my work). I find the Uncle Mikes unit to be very concealable and secure, and even if someone sees me removing it, chances are it will look like a wallet. Definitely not the fastest draw, and impossible to get at while seated/driving, but on the flip side I can get a firing grip very discretely without alarming anyone. Overall, I find this carry mode preferable to an ankle rig.

The only real downside for me is having to relocate my wallet to my "weak" side.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#18]
I carry a tauras 357 mag 2" in a pocket holster in front pocket or just in the pocket with no holster sometimes.  Its easy and not uncomfortable for me when I am on the go.  It better then a pocket full of rocks
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I only like it for thin, flat guns like the P-32 I carry for deep back up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top